Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > LinkSys WRT54G to Dell Inspiron 2200

LinkSys WRT54G to Dell Inspiron 2200

GeneM

I want to connect a laptop, Dell Inspiron 2200,
w/ Card: Dell Wireless 1470 Dual-Band WLAN MiniPCI Card, Rev. 4.7,

to our LinkSys wireless router model WRT54G.

The router offers security modes
-Secure Easy Setup
(for which I find no match or reference on the laptop)
-WPA-Personal (also called WPA-PSK) with Encryption TKIP or AES
-WPA2-Personal
RADIUS
WEP-64
WEP-128

I wanted to use WPA-Personal (WPA-PSK) TKIP, but I can't find related
settings on the Dell wireless setup utility.

For now we used WEP-64.

Any hope of running WPA-Personal for better security?
Our issue may be use of WPA Pre-Shared Key: Can we set and share the
WPA Shared Key with the target laptop?

-GeneM

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBXaWxzb24=?=

Hi Gene,
I assume you're using Windows XP. If so, for WPA you will need SP2
installed (or SP1 and a hotfix). If you still can't see WPA as an option in
the driver config. then try upgrading to the latest drivers as I'm pretty
sure the Dell 1470 is a fairly recent card. You could als try the Dell
Forums (are they still there?) or the Broadcom site (most Dell adapters I'm
seen have been are re-badged Broadcom cards).

</Mark>

"GeneM" wrote:

> I want to connect a laptop, Dell Inspiron 2200,
> w/ Card: Dell Wireless 1470 Dual-Band WLAN MiniPCI Card, Rev. 4.7,
>
> to our LinkSys wireless router model WRT54G.
>
> The router offers security modes
> -Secure Easy Setup
> (for which I find no match or reference on the laptop)
> -WPA-Personal (also called WPA-PSK) with Encryption TKIP or AES
> -WPA2-Personal
> RADIUS
> WEP-64
> WEP-128
>
> I wanted to use WPA-Personal (WPA-PSK) TKIP, but I can't find related
> settings on the Dell wireless setup utility.
>
> For now we used WEP-64.
>
> Any hope of running WPA-Personal for better security?
> Our issue may be use of WPA Pre-Shared Key: Can we set and share the
> WPA Shared Key with the target laptop?
>
> -GeneM

GeneM

Thank you, Lem & Mark!

We will try your suggestions.

I'm pretty sure we already have XP's SP2 on the laptop, but we'll verify.

-GeneM