Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > King Kong (1933): Region 2.

King Kong (1933): Region 2.

Scot Gardner

I am anxiously awaiting the rumored Region 1, "2-Disk Special Edition"
of _King Kong_ (1933) that Warner is supposedly going to release in
2004. But what's going on here? The original _King Kong_ was part of the
RKO catalog, which was bought by Turner and now Time-Warner owns the
title.

However, the details for the Region 2 DVD say that Universal Pictures is
also involved. (I know that this is not a misprint because I have
actually held this Region 2 DVD in my hand and read the back cover):

Technical Information

Release Information:
Studio: Universal Pictures Video
DVD Release Date: 1 January, 2001
Run Time: 100 minutes

Edition Details:
.. Region 2 encoding (Europe, Middle East & Japan only)
.. PAL, Black & White
.. ASIN: B0000558OS
.. Catalogue Number: 0780802

This review sounds pretty good:

"On the DVD: Although a little light on extras, this is happily the
Director's Cut, restoring scenes that were censored after the film's
original 1933 run, including Kong peeling off Fay Wray's clothes like a
banana, and our hirsute hero using unfortunate natives as dental floss.
The ratio of 4:3 is correct for a film of this age; the picture and
(mono) sound are perfectly acceptable without being revelatory. The
25-minute "making of" documentary from 1992 is a 60th anniversary
tribute to the film, which details all of Kong's many ground-breaking
contributions to cinema, from Willis O'Brien's use of stop-motion and
rear projection effects to Max Steiner's music score. There are
contributions from film historians, modern admirers of the film
including composer Jerry Goldsmith--who admits that Steiner created a
template that Hollywood composers are still following--and a few
surviving participants such as sound effects man Murray Spivak.
Apparently, director Merian C. Cooper's original idea was to capture
live gorillas, transport them to the island of Komodo and film them
fighting the giant lizards! Thanks to Willis O'Brien's pioneering
effects work good sense prevailed and a cinema classic was born. --Mark
Walker"

mazinz

well it could be that universal has the rights to it outside the US

jayembee

"Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am anxiously awaiting the rumored Region 1, "2-Disk Special Edition"
>of _King Kong_ (1933) that Warner is supposedly going to release in
>2004. But what's going on here? The original _King Kong_ was part of the
>RKO catalog, which was bought by Turner and now Time-Warner owns the
>title.
>
>However, the details for the Region 2 DVD say that Universal Pictures is
>also involved. (I know that this is not a misprint because I have
>actually held this Region 2 DVD in my hand and read the back cover):

It has to do with distribution deals made long ago. I'm stunned that
you don't know this, as it's one of the major reasons for region
coding.

-- jayembee

Scot Gardner

"jayembee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
"Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>... the details for the Region 2 DVD say that Universal Pictures
>is also involved. (I know that this is not a misprint because
>I have actually held this Region 2 DVD in my hand and read
>the back cover):

<<It has to do with distribution deals made long ago. I'm stunned that
you don't know this, as it's one of the major reasons for region
coding. -- jayembee>>

Well, that's a relief.

I was afraid that Universal might have a hand in the film restoration
and mastering of the new DVD. I would hate to have that happen, after
seeing some of the latest Universal DVDs.

Scot Gardner

"mazinz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> well it could be that universal has the rights to it outside the US

True, at least in the case of the German _King Kong_ DVD.

Strange things happen in Germany. I have a German import James Taylor CD
called _James Taylor Classic Songs_ which is on the CBS/WEA label.

The first 8 songs were only available in the States on Warner and the
last 8 were only available in the States on Columbia. But in Germany,
CBS and Warner-Elektra-Asylum joined to make this CD.

And of course, this import CD has a booklet which includes the lyrics to
all of the songs.

Robert Kent

"Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:20040118111455.483$(E-Mail Removed)...
I am anxiously awaiting the rumored Region 1, "2-Disk Special Edition"
of _King Kong_ (1933) that Warner is supposedly going to release in
2004. But what's going on here? The original _King Kong_ was part of the
RKO catalog, which was bought by Turner and now Time-Warner owns the
title.

I heard that King Kong is now in the public domain. Does anyone know if this
is true?

Scot Gardner

"Robert Kent" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7CMOb.80635$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:20040118111455.483$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I heard that King Kong is now in the public domain. Does anyone know
> if this is true?

My guess is that this can't be true.

All of the off-brands (such as Madacy, Delta, USA, Laserlight and
Brentwood) would have released their inferior $7.99 versions by now.

jayembee

"Robert Kent" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I heard that King Kong is now in the public domain. Does anyone
>know if this is true?

Where the hell did you hear that. It's definitely NOT true.

-- jayembee

Scoundrel@nospamprovide.net

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 08:16:59 -0800, "Scot Gardner"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am anxiously awaiting the rumored Region 1, "2-Disk Special Edition"
>of _King Kong_ (1933) that Warner is supposedly going to release in
>2004. But what's going on here? The original _King Kong_ was part of the
>RKO catalog, which was bought by Turner and now Time-Warner owns the
>title.
>
>However, the details for the Region 2 DVD say that Universal Pictures is
>also involved. (I know that this is not a misprint because I have
>actually held this Region 2 DVD in my hand and read the back cover):
>
>Technical Information
>
>Release Information:
>Studio: Universal Pictures Video
>DVD Release Date: 1 January, 2001
>Run Time: 100 minutes
>
>Edition Details:
>. Region 2 encoding (Europe, Middle East & Japan only)
>. PAL, Black & White
>. ASIN: B0000558OS
>. Catalogue Number: 0780802
>
>This review sounds pretty good:
>
>"On the DVD: Although a little light on extras, this is happily the
>Director's Cut, restoring scenes that were censored after the film's
>original 1933 run, including Kong peeling off Fay Wray's clothes like a
>banana, and our hirsute hero using unfortunate natives as dental floss.
>The ratio of 4:3 is correct for a film of this age; the picture and
>(mono) sound are perfectly acceptable without being revelatory. The
>25-minute "making of" documentary from 1992 is a 60th anniversary
>tribute to the film, which details all of Kong's many ground-breaking
>contributions to cinema, from Willis O'Brien's use of stop-motion and
>rear projection effects to Max Steiner's music score. There are
>contributions from film historians, modern admirers of the film
>including composer Jerry Goldsmith--who admits that Steiner created a
>template that Hollywood composers are still following--and a few
>surviving participants such as sound effects man Murray Spivak.
>Apparently, director Merian C. Cooper's original idea was to capture
>live gorillas, transport them to the island of Komodo and film them
>fighting the giant lizards! Thanks to Willis O'Brien's pioneering
>effects work good sense prevailed and a cinema classic was born. --Mark
>Walker"
>
>http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...144370-9181234

This is a fine transfer,....

S.

Peter Briggs

Scot Gardner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My guess is that this can't be true.

By my reckoning, worldwide "out of coypright" is 2008...