Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Song of the South: Film clips on Alice in Wonderland.

Song of the South: Film clips on Alice in Wonderland.

Scot Gardner

Disney may be testing the waters in order to see if it is safe to
release _Song of the South_ on DVD:

From the article "Through the Look glass":

Alice in Wonderland two-disc Masterpiece Edition

Buena Vista, color, G, 75 min. plus supplements, Dolby Digital 5.1,

widescreen (Widescreen?!? I hope this is a mistake.)

Street: Jan. 27, $29.99; First Run: W, July 1951, NA

"Adults might get the most out of disc two, which offers a little
nostalgia via original programming from the '50s, including Disney's
first TV show, One Hour in Wonderland, hosted by a young Beaumont
dressed as Alice along with Walt Disney and actors from the era. It
showed clips from such Disney movies as Snow White and Song of the
South. Also offered is the behind-the-scenes featurette Operation
Wonderland, deleted songs, original storyboard sketches and an extensive
art gallery."

http://www.dvdexclusive.com/HTMLRevi...onderland.html

unclejr

"Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> Disney may be testing the waters in order to see if it is safe to
> release _Song of the South_ on DVD:
>
> From the article "Through the Look glass":
>
> Alice in Wonderland two-disc Masterpiece Edition
>
> Buena Vista, color, G, 75 min. plus supplements, Dolby Digital 5.1,
>
> widescreen (Widescreen?!? I hope this is a mistake.)
>
> Street: Jan. 27, $29.99; First Run: W, July 1951, NA
>
> "Adults might get the most out of disc two, which offers a little
> nostalgia via original programming from the '50s, including Disney's
> first TV show, One Hour in Wonderland, hosted by a young Beaumont
> dressed as Alice along with Walt Disney and actors from the era. It
> showed clips from such Disney movies as Snow White and Song of the
> South. Also offered is the behind-the-scenes featurette Operation
> Wonderland, deleted songs, original storyboard sketches and an extensive
> art gallery."
>
>http://www.dvdexclusive.com/HTMLRevi...onderland.html

I know for sure that the "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" sequence is on the Alice
in Wonderland Archive LD Box Set. I would have to check my Archive LD
first, but I also believe that the other extras mentioned are also on
this box set. If that is the case, then it *could* mean that BVHE was
simply lazy and just ported the LD content over to the new DVD to make
a quick buck or two (Disney trying to make a quick buck? <gasp!>).
*IF* the content on the new DVD indeed has simply been ported over
from the LD, then no inference (about whether SOTS would be eventually
released) could be made IMHO.

In other words -- I'm not getting my hopes up.

Just my $0.02 worth,

-Junior

Bill

This won't be the first time that a "Song of the South" excerpt has made it
to DVD. On the Disney Treasures collection titled, "Disneyland USA," there
is a complete program ("Disneyland," the ABC series from the 50s) that
contains an excerpt from the film--the "Laughing Place" segment.

The entire program is in black and white, but it's the closest that I've
come to seeing "Song of the South" since Disney's last theatrical release
many years ago.

"unclejr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> > Disney may be testing the waters in order to see if it is safe to
> > release _Song of the South_ on DVD:
> >
> > From the article "Through the Look glass":
> >
> > Alice in Wonderland two-disc Masterpiece Edition
> >
> > Buena Vista, color, G, 75 min. plus supplements, Dolby Digital 5.1,
> >
> > widescreen (Widescreen?!? I hope this is a mistake.)
> >
> > Street: Jan. 27, $29.99; First Run: W, July 1951, NA
> >
> > "Adults might get the most out of disc two, which offers a little
> > nostalgia via original programming from the '50s, including Disney's
> > first TV show, One Hour in Wonderland, hosted by a young Beaumont
> > dressed as Alice along with Walt Disney and actors from the era. It
> > showed clips from such Disney movies as Snow White and Song of the
> > South. Also offered is the behind-the-scenes featurette Operation
> > Wonderland, deleted songs, original storyboard sketches and an extensive
> > art gallery."
> >
> >http://www.dvdexclusive.com/HTMLRevi...onderland.html

> I know for sure that the "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" sequence is on the Alice
> in Wonderland Archive LD Box Set. I would have to check my Archive LD
> first, but I also believe that the other extras mentioned are also on
> this box set. If that is the case, then it *could* mean that BVHE was
> simply lazy and just ported the LD content over to the new DVD to make
> a quick buck or two (Disney trying to make a quick buck? <gasp!>).
> *IF* the content on the new DVD indeed has simply been ported over
> from the LD, then no inference (about whether SOTS would be eventually
> released) could be made IMHO.
>
> In other words -- I'm not getting my hopes up.
>
> Just my $0.02 worth,
>
> -Junior

Derek Janssen

unclejr wrote:

> "Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
>
>>Disney may be testing the waters in order to see if it is safe to
>>release _Song of the South_ on DVD:

<snip>

> I know for sure that the "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" sequence is on the Alice
> in Wonderland Archive LD Box Set. I would have to check my Archive LD
> first, but I also believe that the other extras mentioned are also on
> this box set. If that is the case, then it *could* mean that BVHE was
> simply lazy and just ported the LD content over to the new DVD to make
> a quick buck or two (Disney trying to make a quick buck? <gasp!>).
> *IF* the content on the new DVD indeed has simply been ported over
> from the LD, then no inference (about whether SOTS would be eventually
> released) could be made IMHO.
>
> In other words -- I'm not getting my hopes up.

In other other words -- It's on a TV special. From the vault material.
For five minutes. Whose other forty-five had to do with "Alice".

Yes, I want to see it on disk, too (now that Poitier's off the board and
they're in love with 2-disks), but get...a friggin'...GRIP.

Derek Janssen

Aaron

Does the new Alice in Wonderland 2-DVD edition come with a $5 mail in
rebate for "previous owners" (such as the older Alice in Wonderland
DVD)?

Many of Disney's DVD re-releases of their animated features had such
rebates, and I was wondering if Alice has one and if it applies to the
previous DVD or is only VHS mentioned as in the previous offers (as if
laserdisc never existed)?