Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Is Columbia House DVD Club turning AOL-like?

Is Columbia House DVD Club turning AOL-like?

Dennis McGee

I told them I wanted to cancel my membership (after having fulfilled the
obligation for at least six months) the first week in November. I get a
monthly packet in the mail in December, but didn't return the card. A few
weeks later, I get the default "Director's Selection" DVD in the mail. I
thought okay, maybe they didn't have enough time to process my
cancellation, so I returned the DVD to them at my expense. Today (1/15), I
get another monthly packet with a card to return in the mail. This time I
told them to CANCEL MY MEMBERSHIP in huge block letters. Maybe they'll get
the message this time.

Makes you wonder if only somebody over in Bumphuk, India has the ability to
process the cancellation of your membership. I'm going to think long and
hard about joining them again if it's always going to be like this when
I've fulfilled my obiligation and want to cancel.

Justin

Dennis McGee wrote on [Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:39:09 -0600]:
> I told them I wanted to cancel my membership (after having fulfilled the
> obligation for at least six months) the first week in November. I get a
> monthly packet in the mail in December, but didn't return the card. A few
> weeks later, I get the default "Director's Selection" DVD in the mail. I
> thought okay, maybe they didn't have enough time to process my
> cancellation, so I returned the DVD to them at my expense.

When you get new stuff from them, including DVDs, write return to sender
refused. Then it won't be returned at your expense.

Michael Rogers

Dennis McGee wrote:

> I told them I wanted to cancel my membership (after having fulfilled the
> obligation for at least six months) the first week in November. I get a
> monthly packet in the mail in December, but didn't return the card. A few
> weeks later, I get the default "Director's Selection" DVD in the mail. I
> thought okay, maybe they didn't have enough time to process my
> cancellation, so I returned the DVD to them at my expense.

You should've sent the package back unopened and marked "refused", it
would've been returned to sender and you wouldn't have had to pay a
thing.

Something went wrong somewhere, I have cancelled a couple DVD
memberships before (I join, get the DVD's and fulfil the commitment then
cancel) with no problem.

Mike

Dennis McGee

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Michael Rogers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Dennis McGee wrote:
>>
>> I told them I wanted to cancel my membership (after having fulfilled the
>> obligation for at least six months) the first week in November. I get a
>> monthly packet in the mail in December, but didn't return the card. A few
>> weeks later, I get the default "Director's Selection" DVD in the mail. I
>> thought okay, maybe they didn't have enough time to process my
>> cancellation, so I returned the DVD to them at my expense.

>You should've sent the package back unopened and marked "refused", it
>would've been returned to sender and you wouldn't have had to pay a
>thing.

Well it was just $1.47 media mail. If they send me another one though, I'm
going to refuse it.

Matt Ferrari

"Dennis McGee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I told them I wanted to cancel my membership (after having fulfilled the
> obligation for at least six months) the first week in November. I get a
> monthly packet in the mail in December, but didn't return the card. A few
> weeks later, I get the default "Director's Selection" DVD in the mail. I
> thought okay, maybe they didn't have enough time to process my
> cancellation, so I returned the DVD to them at my expense. Today (1/15), I
> get another monthly packet with a card to return in the mail. This time I
> told them to CANCEL MY MEMBERSHIP in huge block letters. Maybe they'll get
> the message this time.

(snip)

Actually...there is a very good chance that your account wont be closed
by writing something on a reply mailer. Call customer service and confirm
that you want the account closed. Write down who you talk to.
Little late for the info, but they will also issue a prepaid return
shipper on erroneous shipments.

Matt

ttfg

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 04:23:20 GMT, Michael Rogers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Dennis McGee wrote:
>>
>> I told them I wanted to cancel my membership (after having fulfilled the
>> obligation for at least six months) the first week in November. I get a
>> monthly packet in the mail in December, but didn't return the card. A few
>> weeks later, I get the default "Director's Selection" DVD in the mail. I
>> thought okay, maybe they didn't have enough time to process my
>> cancellation, so I returned the DVD to them at my expense.

>You should've sent the package back unopened and marked "refused", it
>would've been returned to sender and you wouldn't have had to pay a
>thing.
>
>Something went wrong somewhere, I have cancelled a couple DVD
>memberships before (I join, get the DVD's and fulfil the commitment then
>cancel) with no problem.
>
>Mike

Same here, and I use their site for almost everything. Quick and simple, and
they always confirm via email anything I do on their site, including
cancellation of accounts..

Moviezzz

> I get a
>monthly packet in the mail in December, but didn't return the card. A few
>weeks later, I get the default "Director's Selection" DVD in the mail. I
>thought okay, maybe they didn't have enough time to process my
>cancellation, so I returned the DVD to them at my expense.

Well first, when you got that, you should have declined the selection. It
probably crossed in the mail.

And second, when you got the DVD, you should have called them or gone online
since they will send you a prepaid mailer to send it back, so you don't have to
spend anything.

Michael Black

Michael Rogers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Dennis McGee wrote:
> >
> > I told them I wanted to cancel my membership (after having fulfilled the
> > obligation for at least six months) the first week in November. I get a
> > monthly packet in the mail in December, but didn't return the card. A few
> > weeks later, I get the default "Director's Selection" DVD in the mail. I
> > thought okay, maybe they didn't have enough time to process my
> > cancellation, so I returned the DVD to them at my expense.

> You should've sent the package back unopened and marked "refused", it
> would've been returned to sender and you wouldn't have had to pay a
> thing.
>
> Something went wrong somewhere, I have cancelled a couple DVD
> memberships before (I join, get the DVD's and fulfil the commitment then
> cancel) with no problem.
>
> Mike

Timing is everything. The monthly forms have "as of XXX you have YYY
to buy" and the date is a few weeks ahead of the arrival of the form.
So they have a long lead time, and if you just miss the deadline
you will get another mailing. It makes a lot of sense after cancelling
to send back any forms that come in declining the selection, and
writing something like "I've already cancelled". At the very least,
use the website to make sure no more "director's selections" appear
for that account, and if they do, decline them there.

I'm in Canada, but I've had no problem with cancelling the CD club
a bunch of times since 1999. Sometimes I write on the form
"Please cancel" sometimes I do it by email. It has stayed cancelled,
though at least once I did get a mailing afterwards, because of
that timing issue.

Michael

Aaron R. Schnuth

> >Something went wrong somewhere, I have cancelled a couple DVD
> >memberships before (I join, get the DVD's and fulfil the commitment then
> >cancel) with no problem.
> >
> >Mike

> Same here, and I use their site for almost everything. Quick and simple,

and
> they always confirm via email anything I do on their site, including
> cancellation of accounts..

I just canceled my account through their website with no problems. You
should give that a try.

Aaron

me@my.com

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:39:09 -0600, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
(Dennis McGee) wrote:

>I told them I wanted to cancel my membership (after having fulfilled the
>obligation for at least six months) the first week in November. I get a
>monthly packet in the mail in December, but didn't return the card. A few
>weeks later, I get the default "Director's Selection" DVD in the mail. I
>thought okay, maybe they didn't have enough time to process my
>cancellation, so I returned the DVD to them at my expense. Today (1/15), I
>get another monthly packet with a card to return in the mail. This time I
>told them to CANCEL MY MEMBERSHIP in huge block letters. Maybe they'll get
>the message this time.
>
>Makes you wonder if only somebody over in Bumphuk, India has the ability to
>process the cancellation of your membership. I'm going to think long and
>hard about joining them again if it's always going to be like this when
>I've fulfilled my obiligation and want to cancel.

Send the letter certified with a return receipt. Once you have proof
they received the letter (from return receipt), anything sent to you
after that date is FREE. Yes, it's a gift. Legally you dont have to
pay. If they harass you, ignore them.