Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Widescreen or Full Frame?

Widescreen or Full Frame?

MarkR

Hello,

I was wondering which is better, Widescreen or Full Frame DVD's? I have
been buying my DVD's not even knowing there was a difference, so I now have
a mix of the two. I read on one site that Widescreen is almost always
preferred. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mark

FMercury39

Try this site for starters.
http://www.widescreenadvocate.org/whatis.html

>Hello,
>
> I was wondering which is better, Widescreen or Full Frame DVD's? I have
>been buying my DVD's not even knowing there was a difference, so I now have
>a mix of the two. I read on one site that Widescreen is almost always
>preferred. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks in advance.
>
>Regards,
>Mark

Karl

"MarkR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:A_BNb.5728$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering which is better, Widescreen or Full Frame DVD's? I

have
> been buying my DVD's not even knowing there was a difference, so I now

have
> a mix of the two. I read on one site that Widescreen is almost always
> preferred. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Mark

Widescreen "IS" full frame.

MarkR

"FMercury39" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try this site for starters.
> http://www.widescreenadvocate.org/whatis.html

Widescreen it is then.

Mark

> >Hello,
> >
> > I was wondering which is better, Widescreen or Full Frame DVD's? I

have
> >been buying my DVD's not even knowing there was a difference, so I now

have
> >a mix of the two. I read on one site that Widescreen is almost always
> >preferred. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks in advance.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Mark

MarkR

"Karl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bu6v91$323$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "MarkR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:A_BNb.5728$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was wondering which is better, Widescreen or Full Frame DVD's? I

> have
> > been buying my DVD's not even knowing there was a difference, so I now

> have
> > a mix of the two. I read on one site that Widescreen is almost always
> > preferred. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Mark
> >

> Widescreen "IS" full frame.

OK, then I mispoke and meant to say Full Screen. Full Screen doesn't equal
Widescreen does it?

Mark

mzmeryze

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:38:08 GMT, "MarkR" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
> I was wondering which is better, Widescreen or Full Frame DVD's? I have
>been buying my DVD's not even knowing there was a difference, so I now have
>a mix of the two. I read on one site that Widescreen is almost always
>preferred. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks in advance.

If you want to see 100% of the movie, go with widescreen.

If you want to see a hacked up version of the film, go with
fullscreen.

Your choice.

Pug Fugley

Widescreen is the only way to go.

Full screen or 'pan&scan', aka 'modified to fit this screen' chops off 2/3
of the picture.

"MarkR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:A_BNb.5728$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering which is better, Widescreen or Full Frame DVD's? I

have
> been buying my DVD's not even knowing there was a difference, so I now

have
> a mix of the two. I read on one site that Widescreen is almost always
> preferred. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Mark

Video Flyer

On 1/15/04 4:17 PM, in article
HjENb.11843$(E-Mail Removed). net, "Pug Fugley"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Widescreen is the only way to go.
>
> Full screen or 'pan&scan', aka 'modified to fit this screen' chops off 2/3
> of the picture.

It seems the longer this debate rages, the more of the original frame gets
cut off. We're up to 66% now! Whoah.

Neal

Jay G

Video Flyer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Pug Fugley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Full screen or 'pan&scan', aka 'modified to fit this screen' chops
>> off 2/3 of the picture.

> It seems the longer this debate rages, the more of the original frame
> gets cut off. We're up to 66% now! Whoah.

That's on those ultra-wide 4:1 scope films.

Seriously though, for a 2.35:1 film, FS cuts off over 1/3
of the image.

-Jay

Jay G

MarkR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> OK, then I mispoke and meant to say Full Screen. Full Screen doesn't
> equal Widescreen does it?

No FS and WS are not the same thing. FMercury39's link
is good for info, but you can also check out these links
as well:

http://home1.gte.net/res0mrb7/widescreen/
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~leopold/Ld/FilmToVideo/

-Jay