Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Widescreen or Full Frame?

Widescreen or Full Frame?

Pug Fugley

"Jay G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Video Flyer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > "Pug Fugley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Full screen or 'pan&scan', aka 'modified to fit this screen' chops
> >> off 2/3 of the picture.

> > It seems the longer this debate rages, the more of the original frame
> > gets cut off. We're up to 66% now! Whoah.

> That's on those ultra-wide 4:1 scope films.
>
> Seriously though, for a 2.35:1 film, FS cuts off over 1/3
> of the image.

Yeah I meant 1/3, a simple typo.

Jim Fraas

"MarkR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:A_BNb.5728$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering which is better, Widescreen or Full Frame DVD's? I

have
> been buying my DVD's not even knowing there was a difference, so I now

have
> a mix of the two. I read on one site that Widescreen is almost always
> preferred. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Mark

A widescreen edition of a movie presents the film frame as it was seen in
the movie theater. This is the version that best preserves the filmmaker's
original intent.

End of story!

WIDESCREEN!

unclejr

"Pug Fugley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> Widescreen is the only way to go.

For the most part, I whole-heartedly agree with you here (somewhat of
a rarity these days). However, I just did a frame-by-frame comparison
of the WS LD vs. the FF DVD of Clean and Sober. It turns out that
there is *MORE* picture to see in the DVD, because it is open matte
and not P&S.

> Full screen or 'pan&scan', aka 'modified to fit this screen' chops off 2/3
> of the picture.

FF DVDs have to be directly compared to their WS counterparts in order
to make sure that the transfer is truly P&S (and the resulting loss of
picture). Even though it is not how the director envisioned the film
to be viewed, I do not mind open matte transfers that much; they only
become troublesome when the occasional boom mike sneaks into the
picture.

Just my $0.02 worth.

-Junior

Edward Curtis

Of course, there is also the issue of movies made before 1953 or so,
which will not have a widescreen version because they were filmed in the
4:3 aspect ratio. Examples - Gone with the Wind, Wizard of Oz, Singin'
In The Rain, early Hitchcock films.

Edward

Dogger

"MarkR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<atDNb.82169$(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> "Karl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bu6v91$323$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "MarkR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:A_BNb.5728$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I was wondering which is better, Widescreen or Full Frame DVD's? I

> have
> > > been buying my DVD's not even knowing there was a difference, so I now

> have
> > > a mix of the two. I read on one site that Widescreen is almost always
> > > preferred. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Mark
> > >

> > Widescreen "IS" full frame.
> >

> OK, then I mispoke and meant to say Full Screen. Full Screen doesn't equal
> Widescreen does it?

No, full screen is generally for people who react to black bars by
saying 'What happened to the rest of the picture?' It means they want
their TV to be filled up even if that means missing out on anywhere
from 30% to 55% of what you would see in the movie theatre. Either
they don't realise that the wide rectangle is what shows them MORE of
the original picture, or more commonly they just don't care.

It is true that if your intent is to see something as close as
possible to what the filmmaker intended, then you should *usually*
stick exclusively to 'widescreen', because that is how over 99% of
movies are shot (1.85:1 or higher). But beware of the 1% ... there is
the odd movie (especially very low budget 16mm fare) which is shot and
projected in the more square TV-like ratio (1.33:1), so in those cases
'full screen' *is* the originally intent.

Plus, there are television episode releases which are often (but not
always) shot in full screen anyway, so there is no need to insist on
widescreen there.

Generally, you should gravitate toward any product that claims to
present the 'original aspect ratio' intended by the author, and stay
away from any product that admits to being 'modified to fit your
screen'. Because that's the real issue here.

DB.

MarkR

"Karl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bu6v91$323$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "MarkR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:A_BNb.5728$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was wondering which is better, Widescreen or Full Frame DVD's? I

> have
> > been buying my DVD's not even knowing there was a difference, so I now

> have
> > a mix of the two. I read on one site that Widescreen is almost always
> > preferred. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Mark
> >

> Widescreen "IS" full frame.

So Widescreen has an aspect ratio of 1.33:1?

Mark

Aaron J. Bossig

> > I was wondering which is better, Widescreen or Full Frame
>> > DVD's? I

>> have
>> > been buying my DVD's not even knowing there was a difference, so I
>> > now

>> have
>> > a mix of the two. I read on one site that Widescreen is almost
>> > always preferred. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks in
>> > advance.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Mark
>> >

>> Widescreen "IS" full frame.
>>

> So Widescreen has an aspect ratio of 1.33:1?

No. That was a very simplistic response to a very complex question.

Widescreen actually has no given aspect ratio... it's just a term that
means the movie is wider than 1.33:1. There are many widescreen ratios,
and the most common are 1.85:1 and 2.35:1.

"Full Frame" is a term that can mean a lot of things, depending on the
intent. It may mean a movie which has an OAR of 1.33:1, or a movie that
was shot for widescreen using an open matte technique, and therefore
could be made 4:3 by removing the mattes. It may even be the above
poster's intent to say that WS is full frame because it shows the full,
intended, frame.

What we see here is a problem with terminology... something I consider
to be a huge issue on the aspect ratio debate.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.daily-reviews.com

MarkR

"Aaron J. Bossig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > I was wondering which is better, Widescreen or Full Frame
> >> have
> >> have

> >> Widescreen "IS" full frame.
> >>

> > So Widescreen has an aspect ratio of 1.33:1?

> No. That was a very simplistic response to a very complex question.
>
> Widescreen actually has no given aspect ratio... it's just a term that
> means the movie is wider than 1.33:1. There are many widescreen ratios,
> and the most common are 1.85:1 and 2.35:1.
>
> "Full Frame" is a term that can mean a lot of things, depending on the
> intent. It may mean a movie which has an OAR of 1.33:1, or a movie that
> was shot for widescreen using an open matte technique, and therefore
> could be made 4:3 by removing the mattes. It may even be the above
> poster's intent to say that WS is full frame because it shows the full,
> intended, frame.
>
> What we see here is a problem with terminology... something I consider
> to be a huge issue on the aspect ratio debate.

Well I was told that Full Frame "IS" Widescreen. I have a few DVD's that
have a ratio of 1.33:1 that say they are Full Frame or Full Screen, so I was
just clarifying.

Mark

> --
>
> Aaron J. Bossig
>
> http://www.GodsLabRat.com
> http://www.daily-reviews.com

Karl

> Well I was told that Full Frame "IS" Widescreen. I have a few DVD's that
> have a ratio of 1.33:1 that say they are Full Frame or Full Screen, so I

was
> just clarifying.
>
> Mark

Sorry for the confusion, Ill put it another way, generaly widescreen DVD =
fullframe, in other words your getting all the film and the sides of it are
not getting chopped off to fit a fullscreen TV (old style TV and not
widescreen). So probably those DVD's you have stating full frame/screen have
been chopped so it displays fullscreen on an 4/3 TV.

Karl

Shawn

Jim Fraas wrote:

> A widescreen edition of a movie presents the film frame as it was seen in
> the movie theater. This is the version that best preserves the filmmaker's
> original intent.

....except for the few movies which were actually shot in full-screen.