Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Widescreen

Widescreen

Nick

I have just brought my first Widescreen TV. When I play some Widescreen
DVD's they come up Widescreen full screen but on others they still have a
black box top and bottom. I thought if you had a widescreen TV it stopped
this. My Dvd player is set to 16:9 as is my TV. When I watch films that have
got black top/bottom I can switch to Letterbox which makes it widescreen
full screen but it then cuts part of the picture top and bottom. Any advice
please. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mischa van Dinter

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:54:34 +0000 (UTC), "Nick"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have just brought my first Widescreen TV. When I play some Widescreen
>DVD's they come up Widescreen full screen but on others they still have a
>black box top and bottom. I thought if you had a widescreen TV it stopped
>this. My Dvd player is set to 16:9 as is my TV. When I watch films that have
>got black top/bottom I can switch to Letterbox which makes it widescreen
>full screen but it then cuts part of the picture top and bottom. Any advice
>please. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some movies are wider than others and will have black bars even on a
widescreen TV. There is nothing wrong, this is how it is supposed to
be. When you set your TV to letterbox to make them fullscreen, you are
simply distorting the image.

See www.widescreen.org for an explainantion.

Watch the movie, not the bars!

Mischa

Fin4life

This is very simplistic but, generally speaking, films shot and presented in
2.35 will still have small black bars on top and bottom when played on
widescreen TV's. Films shot and presented in 1.85 will fill up a widescreen.

Nick

I knew the difference between Pan and Scan - Widescreen and do prefer
widescreen but found the site very helpful and your advice. One last
question:

Am I harming my TV by forcing a 16:9 image into letterbox therefore
distorting the image?

"Mischa van Dinter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:54:34 +0000 (UTC), "Nick"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I have just brought my first Widescreen TV. When I play some Widescreen
> >DVD's they come up Widescreen full screen but on others they still have a
> >black box top and bottom. I thought if you had a widescreen TV it stopped
> >this. My Dvd player is set to 16:9 as is my TV. When I watch films that

have
> >got black top/bottom I can switch to Letterbox which makes it widescreen
> >full screen but it then cuts part of the picture top and bottom. Any

advice
> >please. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >

> Some movies are wider than others and will have black bars even on a
> widescreen TV. There is nothing wrong, this is how it is supposed to
> be. When you set your TV to letterbox to make them fullscreen, you are
> simply distorting the image.
>
> See www.widescreen.org for an explainantion.
>
> Watch the movie, not the bars!
>
> Mischa

Mischa van Dinter

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 15:06:05 +0000 (UTC), "Nick"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I knew the difference between Pan and Scan - Widescreen and do prefer
>widescreen but found the site very helpful and your advice. One last
>question:
>
>Am I harming my TV by forcing a 16:9 image into letterbox therefore
>distorting the image?

No, you will not damage your TV. But, me personally, I don't like to
distort the image like that because it looks terrible. You should try
it with the bars, you'll get used to it.

Mischa

Richard C.

news:bu0taq$r9i$(E-Mail Removed)...
: I have just brought my first Widescreen TV. When I play some Widescreen
: DVD's they come up Widescreen full screen but on others they still have a
: black box top and bottom. I thought if you had a widescreen TV it stopped
: this. My Dvd player is set to 16:9 as is my TV. When I watch films that have
: got black top/bottom I can switch to Letterbox which makes it widescreen
: full screen but it then cuts part of the picture top and bottom. Any advice
: please. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:
=======================
Your TV is 16:9 (1.78:1).
Movies are (mostly) 1.85:1 and 2.35:1.
Everything is as it should be.......................................

Darrel Christenson

Nick wrote:

> I knew the difference between Pan and Scan - Widescreen and do prefer
> widescreen but found the site very helpful and your advice. One last
> question:
>
> Am I harming my TV by forcing a 16:9 image into letterbox therefore
> distorting the image?

The other issue is that for a widescreen to properly handle
a 16x9 image you need to be sending it a progressive scan
signal via component video cables and have set your tv's
input to component. You'll not only get the best picture
possible but most 16x9 movies will fill the screen without
any stretching going on.

Darrel

Nick

Cheers u been very helpful. Thank u

"Mischa van Dinter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 15:06:05 +0000 (UTC), "Nick"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I knew the difference between Pan and Scan - Widescreen and do prefer
> >widescreen but found the site very helpful and your advice. One last
> >question:
> >
> >Am I harming my TV by forcing a 16:9 image into letterbox therefore
> >distorting the image?
> >

> No, you will not damage your TV. But, me personally, I don't like to
> distort the image like that because it looks terrible. You should try
> it with the bars, you'll get used to it.
>
> Mischa

Monte Castleman

>The other issue is that for a widescreen to properly handle
>a 16x9 image you need to be sending it a progressive scan
>signal via component video cables and have set your tv's
>input to component. You'll not only get the best picture
>possible but most 16x9 movies will fill the screen without
>any stretching going on.

Widescreen TV's will only accept an anamorphic signal via
progressive component?

Are widescreen TV's smart enough to reckonize anamorphic video directly,
or do you need to push a button or set a menu? How easy is it to switch
between anamorphic widescreen, non-anamorphic widescreen, and 1.33
sources?
--

Monte Castleman, <<Spamfilter in Use>>
Bloomington, MN to email, remove the "q" from my address

Anonymous Joe

news:bu0taq$r9i$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have just brought my first Widescreen TV. When I play some Widescreen
> DVD's they come up Widescreen full screen but on others they still have a
> black box top and bottom. I thought if you had a widescreen TV it stopped
> this. My Dvd player is set to 16:9 as is my TV. When I watch films that

have
> got black top/bottom I can switch to Letterbox which makes it widescreen
> full screen but it then cuts part of the picture top and bottom. Any

advice
> please. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's only 1 thing you can check, and you've already set it up. That was
changing the player to 16:9 TV mode.

What you are experiencing is supposed to happen. What you are watching are
2.35:1 movies. These have an aspect wider than 16:9 (1.77:1). To
compensate, the player adds black bars at the top and bottom.

Like you said, it doesnt happen on all of them. The ones it won't happen on
are 1.85:1 and 1.77:1 movies. If it happens on 1.85:1, it is only a little
bit and you'd have to actually look to find the bars.

As long as people look like they are realisitic, and buildings are normal
looking, and circles are circles and not some tall oval or fat oval, then
you're good.

If you have any full-screen DVDs, like The Simpsons, try playing those. I
think you'll find you have a new enemy: left & right bars