Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > New version of Star Trek VI (undiscovered country) ?

New version of Star Trek VI (undiscovered country) ?

Paul C.

This is a new version, isn't it ? I only ask as it's priced quite
low (as cheap as $14.69 in Canada) It seems like a pretty good deal
for a decent movie, especially since I didn't shell out the money
for the original version. As a side note when searching on Amazon.ca
they have both versions but the older version is $10 more. So is
this new release enhanced or have I missed something ?

Rich Clark

"Paul C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns946EAFEBBB097abcdefghjklica@198.164.200.20 ...
> This is a new version, isn't it ? I only ask as it's priced quite
> low (as cheap as $14.69 in Canada) It seems like a pretty good deal
> for a decent movie, especially since I didn't shell out the money
> for the original version. As a side note when searching on Amazon.ca
> they have both versions but the older version is $10 more. So is
> this new release enhanced or have I missed something ?

From http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...icle/3635.html --

11.17.2003
"Star Trek VI" Beams to DVD in January

You've felt "The Wrath of Khan" and made "The Voyage Home" — now, get your
DVD collection ready for "The Undiscovered Country."
"Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country — Special Collector's Edition" is
coming to DVD on January 27, courtesy of Paramount Home Entertainment. This
two-disc set is packed with featurettes and bonus material. The film
concerns itself with the peace efforts between the Federation and the
Klingons and features performances by Kim Cattrall as Spock's protιgι
Valeris and Christopher Plummer as the villainous General Chang. For a
complete synopsis or more information on the film, click here.

The contents of the set are as follows:

Disc 1
THE FILM

a.. "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country" — the DVD version includes
two scene revisions by director Nicholas Meyer
b.. Commentary by Meyer and screenwriter Denny Martin Flinn
c.. Text commentary by Michael Okuda and Denise Okuda (co-authors of "The
Star Trek Encyclopedia")

Disc 2
MOVIE-MAKING: STORIES FROM "STAR TREK VI"
a.. Six featurettes on the making of the film, including interviews with
William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Plummer, Meyer and additional production
members
THE STAR TREK UNIVERSE

a.. "Conversations with Nicholas Meyer" — a biographical overview of
Meyer's career
b.. "Klingons: Conjuring the Legend" — a review of the historic, cultural
and mythic traditions of the warrior race
c.. "Federation Operatives" — a roster of "Star Trek VI" performers who
went on to appear in Trek films and series
d.. "Penny's Toy Box" — Trek archivist Penny Juday displays original props
from the film
e.. "Together Again" — Shatner and Plummer reminisce about their
friendship as young actors who worked together in the theatre
ART IMITATES LIFE: THE PERILS OF PEACEMAKING

a.. A discussion of the uncanny parallels between the plot of "Star Trek
VI" and historic global events in the Soviet Union, with commentators Meyer,
Nimoy, Russia expert/scholar Dr. Angela Stent, and others
A FAREWELL

a.. DeForest Kelley: A Tribute — A look at the career of actor DeForest
Kelley ("Leonard McCoy"), with interviews from cast and crew
b.. Original cast and crew interviews
PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL

a.. Promotional Material: Theatrical trailers
b.. 1991 convention presentation by Meyer
ARCHIVES

a.. Production gallery and storyboards
The DVD of "Star Trek VI" is presented in widescreen format enhanced for
16:9 televisions. It features Dolby Digital English 5.1 and English and
French Dolby Surround. The DVD is sub-titled in English and closed-captioned
for the hearing impaired. The DVD set is priced at $19.99 in the U.S. and
$21.99 in Canada. It is rated PG and has a running time of approximately 113
minutes.

Jay Stewart

"Paul C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns946EAFEBBB097abcdefghjklica@198.164.200.20 ...
> This is a new version, isn't it ? I only ask as it's priced quite
> low (as cheap as $14.69 in Canada) It seems like a pretty good deal
> for a decent movie, especially since I didn't shell out the money
> for the original version. As a side note when searching on Amazon.ca
> they have both versions but the older version is $10 more. So is
> this new release enhanced or have I missed something ?

The new version is anamorphic.

Grand Inquisitor

Paul C. wrote:
> This is a new version, isn't it ? I only ask as it's priced quite
> low (as cheap as $14.69 in Canada) It seems like a pretty good deal
> for a decent movie, especially since I didn't shell out the money
> for the original version. As a side note when searching on Amazon.ca
> they have both versions but the older version is $10 more. So is
> this new release enhanced or have I missed something ?

It's low because it's new (well, it will be new when it comes out on the
27th). Promotional deals, ya know? Be glad you didn't waste money on
the original version. The picture is WS, but it is not centered, it's
about two inches higher than it should be (on a 27" set). I hate when
they do that. And yes, the new version is loaded with goodies, just
like the previous Star Trek movie special editions.

and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor

TSKO

Ahhhh....finally...my favorite of the ST flicks...

news:vNSMb.161285$(E-Mail Removed)...