Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > "Refer Madness" R1 DVD, Specs, April 20th

"Refer Madness" R1 DVD, Specs, April 20th

Mike McGee

The full Press Release, complete with the DVD cover image, can be found
here:
http://www.thedigitalreview.com/foru...=&threadid=555

Refer Madness DVD, April 20th
("is it just a coincidence that this film, is released on 4:20" - Mike)

Bonus Materials:
Includes All New colorized version and restored original B&W version,
audio commentary by Mike Nelson of "Mystery Science Theater 3000",
audio commentary by the Legend Films Color design team, short film:
Grandpra's Marijuana Handbook, reefer Madness trailer

Specs:
Color version: Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, B/W version: English Mono and
commentary: Dolby 2.0, Video: 1.33:1

--
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Mike McGee

Bondee

"Mike McGee" <admin@_removenospam_thedigitalreview.com> wrote in message
news:120120040959181436%admin@_removenospam_thedig italreview.com...

> Specs:
> Color version: Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS,

Now you too can get blatted in glorious surround sound!!!

Mark W

You should 'refer' to a dictionary.

Scot Gardner

"Mike McGee" <admin@_removenospam_thedigitalreview.com> wrote in message
news:120120040959181436%admin@_removenospam_thedig italreview.com...

> The full Press Release, complete with the DVD cover image, can be
> found here:
> http://www.thedigitalreview.com/foru...=&threadid=555

Now that _Reefer Madness_(1936) is getting the restoration that it
deserves, maybe _Marihuana_ (1936) and _The Cocaine Fiends_
(1935 will also get the same treatment. For those who just can't wait,
_Reefer Madness_, and two other similar titles, are available now,
at bargain basement prices:

A routine trip to Tower turned into a bargain bonanza. All of the Alpha
Video titles were on sale for $6.99. It looks like Alpha specializes in
releasing public domain titles on DVD. Yet, unlike the public domain
titles from Madacy, the Alpha titles are somewhat watchable.

Although they are not pristine in picture and sound, these Alpha DVD
titles are still very entertaining:

_Reefer Madness_ (193 "Sin, degradation, vice, insanity. Drug crazed
Abandon!" A case study of all-American high school kids Bill and Mary
highlights the danger of marijuana use when the teens change from
tennis-playing, iced tea-drinkers to fiendish, promiscuous, dope addicts
after sampling one joint.

_Marihuana_ (1936): "The picture that exposes hushed-up truths!" A young
girl drowns while skinny-dipping at a beach party. Another teen gets
pregnant after a turn with her boyfriend in the sand - both the result
of dope smoking. The mother-to-be gives up her baby and becomes a
hardened drug dealer, earning fur coats and diamond rings while coldly
turning her clientele into drug addicts.

_The Cocaine Fiends_ (1935): "Senses drowned in forbidden pleasures."
A special "headache powder" leaves Jane feeling instantly exhilarated.
Young sleigh-riding "snowbirds" find that their anxiety and fatigue can
be instantly relieved by this wonderful medication. But the new miracle
drug soon causes its users to spiral downward into hopeless depraved
squalor and tragedy.

http://www.oldies.com/product/view.cfm/id/4024D.html

http://www.oldies.com/product/view.cfm/id/4182D.html

http://www.oldies.com/product/view.cfm/id/4135D.html

Mike McGee

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mark W <s@o>
wrote:

> You should 'refer' to a dictionary.

Oops, my apologies in the typo. I must have smoked of some bad chronic
when I posted that spelling.

--
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Mike McGee
Webmaster, The Digital Review
http://www.thedigitalreview.com

Grand Inquisitor

Mike McGee wrote:
> The full Press Release, complete with the DVD cover image, can be found
> here:
> http://www.thedigitalreview.com/foru...=&threadid=555
>

> Refer Madness DVD, April 20th
> ("is it just a coincidence that this film, is released on 4:20" - Mike)
>
> Bonus Materials:
> Includes All New colorized version and restored original B&W version,
> audio commentary by Mike Nelson of "Mystery Science Theater 3000",
> audio commentary by the Legend Films Color design team, short film:
> Grandpra's Marijuana Handbook, reefer Madness trailer
>
> Specs:
> Color version: Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, B/W version: English Mono and
> commentary: Dolby 2.0, Video: 1.33:1

Audio commentary by Nelson? I have to get this!

and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor

jere7my tho?rpe

In article <20040112142432.829$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Now that _Reefer Madness_(1936) is getting the restoration that it
> deserves, maybe _Marihuana_ (1936) and _The Cocaine Fiends_
> (1935 will also get the same treatment. For those who just can't wait,
> _Reefer Madness_, and two other similar titles, are available now,
> at bargain basement prices:

Something Weird Video has released a single DVD of Reefer Madness,
Marihuana, and Assassin of Youth (~$30). Don't know how it compares to
the Alpha versions, since I haven't seen either, but Something Weird
releases are usually chock-full of entertainment value and extras, if
not picture quality.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...d=1073940520//
ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl74/103-2013865-0889466?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

----j7y

--
************************************************** ************************
jere7my tho?rpe / 734-769-0913 "There is no spoon." "SPOON!" "There

invert liws to reply via email spoon." "SPOON!" -- The Tick vs. Neo

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 15:50:35 -0500, "jere7my tho?rpe" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <20040112142432.829$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Now that _Reefer Madness_(1936) is getting the restoration that it
>> deserves, maybe _Marihuana_ (1936) and _The Cocaine Fiends_
>> (1935 will also get the same treatment. For those who just can't wait,
>> _Reefer Madness_, and two other similar titles, are available now,
>> at bargain basement prices:

> Something Weird Video has released a single DVD of Reefer Madness,
>Marihuana, and Assassin of Youth (~$30). Don't know how it compares to
>the Alpha versions, since I haven't seen either, but Something Weird
>releases are usually chock-full of entertainment value and extras, if
>not picture quality.
>
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...d=1073940520//
>ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl74/103-2013865-0889466?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

Until the upcoming April 20th release, the SWV release of this film
is by far the best. It uses an original though somewhat soft
theatrical print with the proper "Doped Youth" Title card. The film
was released in 1935/36 as "Doped Youth" and rereleased in repertoire
in 1938 and as a learning aid (honestly!) under the title of "Tell
Your Children!" Only when it was printed to 16mm and distributed
among the college crowd was it named "Reefer Madness." And the reason
for that is that the film "Sex Madness" also by Dwain Esper from 1937
was also making the rounds, and some wag at the distribution agency
decided that "Reefer Madness" was a good name for the companion title.

If erm .. "Reefer Madness" is truly getting a proper restoration, then
the name should be "Doped Youth" and a couple of exposition scenes
should be removed, since they were only added to the 1938
"educational" release of "Tell Your Children!"

Besdies the three films the Something Weird release also has a
commentary track by David Friedman for "Marihuana" (also the best
print of this film on video), Dwain Esper's short "Devil's Harvest"and
a bunch of art stills and drug Scare radio spots.

.Steve .