Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Premiere 6.5: PAL to NTSC conversion with Adobe Mpeg encoder 1.2

Premiere 6.5: PAL to NTSC conversion with Adobe Mpeg encoder 1.2

Jane

I work with digital video (mostly 3d animation) created in PAL (in New
Zealand) that I would like to make NTSC video to send to the USA.

I have been exporting the mp2 files from Premiere 6.5 using the Adobe Mpeg
encoder 1.2. into DVD Architect 1 which I use to create DVD's.

My DVD Pal videos have been great. However, when I export the mp2 files into
NTSC using a NTSC setting, it plays on my computer DVD players a bit more
jerky than in PAL especially when the camera moves quickly (and occasionally
with lines through some of the images).

Are there any solutions for my PC (dual processor using XP)? Should I simply
create a new timeline in Premiere 6.5 as NTSC, then export as NTSC? Or do I
have to send it to an expensive service bureau with NTSC conversion
software?

Thnaks in advance!

Steve Roberts

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 10:41:22 +1300, "Jane" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I work with digital video (mostly 3d animation) created in PAL (in New
>Zealand) that I would like to make NTSC video to send to the USA.

That's not a trivial thing to want to do, which is why broadcast
quality standard convertors like the Alchemist cost many tens of
thousands of pounds.

You're trying to convert 50 fields per second into 60. If you simply
repeat ten fields it will work, but you'll get a jerky image. You
really need to see if you can find some software that uses motion
estimation to do the conversion. There probably are standalone
programmes that will do this...

Steve

The Doctor Who Restoration Team Website
http://www.restoration-team.co.uk

Matt Rathney Quinn. TFGTV Scotland.

As it happens much of my 'family' (long and irrelevant story) is in S.E.A.
For some obscure resaon many of the DVD's they send me are in NTSC.........

They play a wee bit oddly in MY PAL DVD player too!!!!

Could be your PAL DVD player converts NTSC to PAL which will produce the
artefacts you describe. If your telly will handle TRUE NTSC and your DVD
player/telly allows it try switching to TRUE 525/60Hz.......

"Jane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:btn763$3lq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I work with digital video (mostly 3d animation) created in PAL (in New
> Zealand) that I would like to make NTSC video to send to the USA.
>

> I have been exporting the mp2 files from Premiere 6.5 using the Adobe Mpeg
> encoder 1.2. into DVD Architect 1 which I use to create DVD's.
>

> My DVD Pal videos have been great. However, when I export the mp2 files

into
> NTSC using a NTSC setting, it plays on my computer DVD players a bit more
> jerky than in PAL especially when the camera moves quickly (and

occasionally
> with lines through some of the images).
>

> Are there any solutions for my PC (dual processor using XP)? Should I

simply
> create a new timeline in Premiere 6.5 as NTSC, then export as NTSC? Or do

> have to send it to an expensive service bureau with NTSC conversion
> software?
>

> Thnaks in advance!

Jane

"Matt Rathney Quinn. TFGTV Scotland." <the.real.address
(E-Mail Removed) thing.not.too.hard.to.work.out> wrote
in message news:btnbak$58k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> As it happens much of my 'family' (long and irrelevant story) is in S.E.A.
> For some obscure resaon many of the DVD's they send me are in

NTSC.........

> They play a wee bit oddly in MY PAL DVD player too!!!!
>
> Could be your PAL DVD player converts NTSC to PAL which will produce the
> artefacts you describe. If your telly will handle TRUE NTSC and your DVD
> player/telly allows it try switching to TRUE 525/60Hz.......

My PAL DVD player does not convert it well at all, but my computer DVD
player does a decent job. However, I'm concerned about sending the DVD's to
competitions in the USA in which the best quality is essential.

> "Jane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:btn763$3lq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I work with digital video (mostly 3d animation) created in PAL (in New
> > Zealand) that I would like to make NTSC video to send to the USA.
> >

> > I have been exporting the mp2 files from Premiere 6.5 using the Adobe

Mpeg
> > encoder 1.2. into DVD Architect 1 which I use to create DVD's.
> >

> > My DVD Pal videos have been great. However, when I export the mp2 files

> into
> > NTSC using a NTSC setting, it plays on my computer DVD players a bit

more
> > jerky than in PAL especially when the camera moves quickly (and

> occasionally
> > with lines through some of the images).
> >

> > Are there any solutions for my PC (dual processor using XP)? Should I

> simply
> > create a new timeline in Premiere 6.5 as NTSC, then export as NTSC? Or

do
> > have to send it to an expensive service bureau with NTSC conversion
> > software?
> >

> > Thnaks in advance!

Matt Rathney Quinn. TFGTV Scotland.

Well if the Americans want the best quality they should change to PAL <GGG>
Sorry! couldn't resist that.....

As I said previously IF your TV can handle true NTSC have a look at the DVD
players menu system and see if that can be set for NTSC output....... This
is what I've resorted to doing if I want to play back an NTSC disc without
the conversion artefacts.. Even good quality commercial NTSC discs look
jerky when converted by a DVD player if the machine converts (as mine does)
to true 625/50 PAL as opposed to the hybrid 525/60 PAL......

What will be happening at the moment in all likelyhood is that your PAL DVD
player is transcoding the NTSC disc to PAL.. Since it's already been
converted FROM PAL there are bound to be additional artefacts...

Another alternative might be to get a U.S. based friend to test the disc for
you!

The other thing that strikes me on re-reading your post......

Would it be practical for you to do a 2nd render of your 3d material in NTSC
rather than have premiere do the conversion?

"Jane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:btnl0i$d01$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Matt Rathney Quinn. TFGTV Scotland." <the.real.address
> (E-Mail Removed) thing.not.too.hard.to.work.out>

wrote
> in message news:btnbak$58k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > As it happens much of my 'family' (long and irrelevant story) is in

S.E.A.
> > For some obscure resaon many of the DVD's they send me are in

> NTSC.........
> >
> > They play a wee bit oddly in MY PAL DVD player too!!!!
> >
> > Could be your PAL DVD player converts NTSC to PAL which will produce the
> > artefacts you describe. If your telly will handle TRUE NTSC and your DVD
> > player/telly allows it try switching to TRUE 525/60Hz.......

> My PAL DVD player does not convert it well at all, but my computer DVD
> player does a decent job. However, I'm concerned about sending the DVD's

> competitions in the USA in which the best quality is essential.
>

> > "Jane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:btn763$3lq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I work with digital video (mostly 3d animation) created in PAL (in New
> > > Zealand) that I would like to make NTSC video to send to the USA.
> > >

> > > I have been exporting the mp2 files from Premiere 6.5 using the Adobe

> Mpeg
> > > encoder 1.2. into DVD Architect 1 which I use to create DVD's.
> > >

> > > My DVD Pal videos have been great. However, when I export the mp2

files
> > into
> > > NTSC using a NTSC setting, it plays on my computer DVD players a bit

> more
> > > jerky than in PAL especially when the camera moves quickly (and

> > occasionally
> > > with lines through some of the images).
> > >

> > > Are there any solutions for my PC (dual processor using XP)? Should I

> > simply
> > > create a new timeline in Premiere 6.5 as NTSC, then export as NTSC? Or

> do
> > > have to send it to an expensive service bureau with NTSC conversion
> > > software?
> > >

> > > Thnaks in advance!

HOWTO: Convert PAL AVI to NTSC MPEG/DVD? Gowan McGland DVD Video 25 06-24-2009 11:03 AM
NTSC-PAL-NTSC question You DVD Video 4 12-17-2003 08:40 PM
Help with PAL -> NTSC DVD conversion Anonymous Joe DVD Video 0 11-02-2003 08:31 PM
PAL to NTSC with Adobe Mpeg converter - burning dvds Joan DVD Video 4 09-18-2003 06:51 PM

Advertisments