Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > "Black Sunday" Nudity? and no trailer!!

"Black Sunday" Nudity? and no trailer!!

Michael Rogers

I just got the 1976 "Black Sunday" (not the Mario Bava horror film, the
Paramount picture produced by Robert Evens). First of all, Damn
Paramount for not even putting on a theatrical trailer.

This **** from them is getting tiresome. How much effort does it take to
dig out a friggin theatrical trailer? "Targets" does not have the
theatrical trailer even though the short Peter Bogdonovich retrospective
has scenes from the very trailer they refuse to put on in full.
"Rosemary's Baby", "Popeye", "Saturday Night Fever", "Better Off Dead"
and more have no theatrical trailers on them.

Theatrical trailers for older movies are something I really enjoy having
to see how the film was originally advertised and for posterity. If the
DVD has no other extras, a trailer would at least be enough. I hope I
can find an effective way to complain to Paramount about this.

Now, concerning "Black Sunday" I've heard a couple people on Amazon and
IMDB comment on how there was originally a nude scene with Marthe Keller
when she's confronted in the shower by Robert Shaw. And that all video
versions cut the scene (or rather convert it to angles where no nudity
is shown).

They point out that there are stills that show more nudity that was in
the actual film. That means nothing though. I've seen full nude stills
of Christina Rains from The Sentinal and in the actual movie itself, her
nudity is cut down to almost nothing. It all depends on how they want to
edit it.

Now, I have never seen BS in the theater (too young to have seen it) but
does anyone remember that there is more then there is on the present DVD
version or are these people building the extra nudity in thier own
memories?

Mike

Murder

Michael Rogers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3FFCAF33.BE891485
@rochester.rr.com:

> I just got the 1976 "Black Sunday" (not the Mario Bava horror film, the
> Paramount picture produced by Robert Evens). First of all, Damn
> Paramount for not even putting on a theatrical trailer.

Well, I picked up Alien and Aliens last night, and was appalled to find
that neither included trailers (aside from the AVP trailer). I guess they
must have put those on the ninth disc, huh? Kind of bummed me out, even
though the discs are, overall, breathtakingly cool.

Michael Rogers

> > I just got the 1976 "Black Sunday" (not the Mario Bava horror film, the
> > Paramount picture produced by Robert Evens). First of all, Damn
> > Paramount for not even putting on a theatrical trailer.

> Well, I picked up Alien and Aliens last night, and was appalled to find
> that neither included trailers (aside from the AVP trailer). I guess they
> must have put those on the ninth disc, huh? Kind of bummed me out, even
> though the discs are, overall, breathtakingly cool.

Yup, they are on the ninth disc of the quadrilogy. They even put on a
teaser trailer for Alien that I had never seen before.

Mike

CBusch6651

>I've heard a couple people on Amazon and
>IMDB comment on how there was originally a nude scene with Marthe Keller
>when she's confronted in the shower by Robert Shaw. And that all video
>versions cut the scene (or rather convert it to angles where no nudity
>is shown).
>
>They point out that there are stills that show more nudity that was in
>the actual film. That means nothing though. I've seen full nude stills
>of Christina Rains from The Sentinal and in the actual movie itself, her
>nudity is cut down to almost nothing. It all depends on how they want to
>edit it.
>
>Now, I have never seen BS in the theater (too young to have seen it) but
>does anyone remember that there is more then there is on the present DVD
>version or are these people building the extra nudity in thier own
>memories?

I remember it clearly from the original theatrical release and there was no
more nudity shown at that time. The shower scene is what you would call a
modesty shot. You can tell that she is nude, but you don't see her nudity.

Meng

>> I've heard a couple people on Amazon and
>> IMDB comment on how there was originally a nude scene with Marthe Keller
>> when she's confronted in the shower by Robert Shaw. And that all video
>> versions cut the scene (or rather convert it to angles where no nudity
>> is shown).
>>
>> They point out that there are stills that show more nudity that was in
>> the actual film. That means nothing though. I've seen full nude stills
>> of Christina Rains from The Sentinal and in the actual movie itself, her
>> nudity is cut down to almost nothing. It all depends on how they want to
>> edit it.
>>
>> Now, I have never seen BS in the theater (too young to have seen it) but
>> does anyone remember that there is more then there is on the present DVD
>> version or are these people building the extra nudity in thier own
>> memories?
>>

> I remember it clearly from the original theatrical release and there was no
> more nudity shown at that time. The shower scene is what you would call a
> modesty shot. You can tell that she is nude, but you don't see her nudity.

Well I can't claim to remember it clearly but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a
modesty shot. Three possible explanations:
1. I saw it in the UK and we got a different version;
2. I'm losing memory cells faster than I thought;
3. I've been slipping between alternate universes or timelines. Again.

Lithurge

Meng <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:BC230374.AFE1C%(E-Mail Removed):

> Well I can't claim to remember it clearly but I'm pretty
> sure it wasn't a modesty shot. Three possible explanations:
> 1. I saw it in the UK and we got a different version;
> 2. I'm losing memory cells faster than I thought;
> 3. I've been slipping between alternate universes or
> timelines. Again.

It's possible the cut was different, nudity as opposed to
violence seems to have been more acceptable outside the US,
and this looks to have been at least an Italian co-production
..

Pick up the (UK) R2 Witchfinder General which has the
international violence put back in and you'll see what I
mean. We were allowed to see breasts flopping about all over
the place, but heaven forbid a woman screaming for more than
a couple of seconds, or somebody sticking a pointy metal
instrument into somebody's back.

ML-78

> Pick up the (UK) R2 Witchfinder General which has the
> international violence put back in and you'll see what I
> mean. We were allowed to see breasts flopping about all over
> the place, but heaven forbid a woman screaming for more than
> a couple of seconds, or somebody sticking a pointy metal
> instrument into somebody's back.

Well, at least that kind of censorship makes more sense than when it's the other
way around (allowing violent and gory scenes but deleting anything that hints at
nudity or sex).

ML-78

Lithurge

"ML-78" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:btjoab$13nq$(E-Mail Removed):

>> Pick up the (UK) R2 Witchfinder General which has the
>> international violence put back in and you'll see what I
>> mean. We were allowed to see breasts flopping about all
>> over the place, but heaven forbid a woman screaming for
>> more than a couple of seconds, or somebody sticking a
>> pointy metal instrument into somebody's back.

> Well, at least that kind of censorship makes more sense
> than when it's the other way around (allowing violent and
> gory scenes but deleting anything that hints at nudity or
> sex).
>

> ML-78

As far as any form of censorship goes, yes it does. But and I
think it safe to post a spoiler, but just in case

Spoiler space

it gets to the end, the Witchfinder and his accomplice have
been killed, with the 'hero' chopping at him with an axe
several times, just before the hero's friend shoots him. The
'heroin' is lying on the floor screaming, and this goes on
for several seconds, but for some reason the BBFC cut about a
second off of it. (You can tell because the quality of the
restored scenes is poorer). What is the point of that?

Michael Alan Chary

In article <BC230374.AFE1C%(E-Mail Removed)>, Meng <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I've heard a couple people on Amazon and
>>> IMDB comment on how there was originally a nude scene with Marthe Keller
>>> when she's confronted in the shower by Robert Shaw. And that all video
>>> versions cut the scene (or rather convert it to angles where no nudity
>>> is shown).
>>>
>>> They point out that there are stills that show more nudity that was in
>>> the actual film. That means nothing though. I've seen full nude stills
>>> of Christina Rains from The Sentinal and in the actual movie itself, her
>>> nudity is cut down to almost nothing. It all depends on how they want to
>>> edit it.
>>>
>>> Now, I have never seen BS in the theater (too young to have seen it) but
>>> does anyone remember that there is more then there is on the present DVD
>>> version or are these people building the extra nudity in thier own
>>> memories?
>>>

>> I remember it clearly from the original theatrical release and there was no
>> more nudity shown at that time. The shower scene is what you would call a
>> modesty shot. You can tell that she is nude, but you don't see her nudity.

>Well I can't claim to remember it clearly but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a
>modesty shot. Three possible explanations:
>1. I saw it in the UK and we got a different version;
>2. I'm losing memory cells faster than I thought;
>3. I've been slipping between alternate universes or timelines. Again.

Sometimes a movie which is fullframe on video will show more than the
letterboxed version does. Terminator 3's full screen version shows more of
Loken. "The Gift" has rear nudity from Katie Holmes in full frame. "Coyote
Ugly" shows more of Piper Perabo.

Perhaps that is the culprit here. Black Sunday is letterboxed, and her
nudity is out of the frame.
--
In memoriam Paul Owens and Tug McGraw of your World Champion
1980 Philadelphia Phillies. "Ya Gotta Believe."

CBusch6651

>Perhaps that is the culprit here. Black Sunday is letterboxed, and her
>nudity is out of the frame.
>--

Perhaps in a full-frame video release this is true. But my point is that the
original US theatrical release did not show nudity. It stood out in my mind at
the time because most R-rated movies in that period did include some nudity and
I was surprised at the modesty shot.