Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > shows on dvd

shows on dvd

JMH

I have some downloaded shows (will and grace episodes) from Grokster (from a
long time ago) that are avi, mov, and other video files (maybe mpeg). If I
buy a DVD burner, can I make those files playable in my DVD player (one
attached to my tv)??? Are these files copyrighted? How would I know?? Has
anyone tried this before?? thanks in advance.

Mark Spatny

JMH,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I have some downloaded shows (will and grace episodes)

SNIP
> Are these files copyrighted?

You can safely assume any broadcast network television show is
copyrighted. Aside from the small type in the end credits telling you
so, you can assume that Will and Grace episodes are not old enough to
have fallen into public domain yet.

jayembee

"JMH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have some downloaded shows (will and grace episodes)
> from Grokster (from a long time ago) that are avi, mov,
> and other video files (maybe mpeg). If I buy a DVD burner,
> can I make those files playable in my DVD player (one
> attached to my tv)???

That depends on a lot of factors. If the file's an mpeg,
you should be able to do it. If the file's an avi (which
can come in various codec flavors: DivX, XviD, et alia),
it can be converted into an mpeg file with various bits
of software, like TMPGEnc. Don't know about mov files.

Going to http://www.dvrhelp.com might help clear some of
this up.

> Are these files copyrighted? How would I know??

Unless the NBC Studios lawyers are complete incompetants,
the episodes are absolutely copyrighted.

-- jayembee

Matt Ferrari

"jayembee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "JMH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I have some downloaded shows (will and grace episodes)
> > from Grokster (from a long time ago) that are avi, mov,
> > and other video files (maybe mpeg). If I buy a DVD burner,
> > can I make those files playable in my DVD player (one
> > attached to my tv)???

> That depends on a lot of factors. If the file's an mpeg,
> you should be able to do it. If the file's an avi (which
> can come in various codec flavors: DivX, XviD, et alia),
> it can be converted into an mpeg file with various bits
> of software, like TMPGEnc. Don't know about mov files.
>
> Going to http://www.dvrhelp.com might help clear some of
> this up.

(snip)

yep, theres a quicktime plugin. Also to the original poster
if you have a CD burner theres a pretty good chance
that you would be able to burn a VCD (video computer disc)
viewable on your DVD player
and not need to get a DVD burner.

* DVD player has to be compatible
* files may have to be converted as stated by others

Matt

JMH

"Matt Ferrari" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sWeLb.22519$P%(E-Mail Removed) gy.com...

> "jayembee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > "JMH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > I have some downloaded shows (will and grace episodes)
> > > from Grokster (from a long time ago) that are avi, mov,
> > > and other video files (maybe mpeg). If I buy a DVD burner,
> > > can I make those files playable in my DVD player (one
> > > attached to my tv)???

> > That depends on a lot of factors. If the file's an mpeg,
> > you should be able to do it. If the file's an avi (which
> > can come in various codec flavors: DivX, XviD, et alia),
> > it can be converted into an mpeg file with various bits
> > of software, like TMPGEnc. Don't know about mov files.
> >
> > Going to http://www.dvrhelp.com might help clear some of
> > this up.
> >

> (snip)
>
> yep, theres a quicktime plugin. Also to the original poster
> if you have a CD burner theres a pretty good chance
> that you would be able to burn a VCD (video computer disc)
> viewable on your DVD player
> and not need to get a DVD burner.
>
> * DVD player has to be compatible
> * files may have to be converted as stated by others
>
> Matt

What kind of software do I need to burn a VCD? My DVD player will play
them.

Skid

"JMH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What kind of software do I need to burn a VCD? My DVD player will play
> them.

Several choices. See www.dvdrhelp.com

(There's a separate VCD/SVCD section with guides and downloads.)

Nicholas Andrade

JMH wrote:

> "Matt Ferrari" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:sWeLb.22519$P%(E-Mail Removed) gy.com...
>
>>"jayembee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) .com...

>>>That depends on a lot of factors. If the file's an mpeg,
>>>you should be able to do it. If the file's an avi (which
>>>can come in various codec flavors: DivX, XviD, et alia),
>>>it can be converted into an mpeg file with various bits
>>>of software, like TMPGEnc. Don't know about mov files.
>>>
>>>Going to http://www.dvrhelp.com might help clear some of
>>>this up.
>>>

>>(snip)
>>
>>yep, theres a quicktime plugin. Also to the original poster
>>if you have a CD burner theres a pretty good chance
>>that you would be able to burn a VCD (video computer disc)
>>viewable on your DVD player
>>and not need to get a DVD burner.
>>
>>* DVD player has to be compatible
>>* files may have to be converted as stated by others
>>
>>Matt
>>

> What kind of software do I need to burn a VCD? My DVD player will play
> them.

I highly recommend Nero.

Adios,
~Nick