Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Dark City

Dark City

Raul Bloodworth

Ah well,Wal-Mart philistines have sent it to the Sale Bin accompanying the
"Ernest Goes to...." Was one of the first two DVDs ever owned. Just
watched it tonight , good as ever!

Michael Black

"Raul Bloodworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OHNJb.46167$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ah well,Wal-Mart philistines have sent it to the Sale Bin accompanying the
> "Ernest Goes to...." Was one of the first two DVDs ever owned. Just
> watched it tonight , good as ever!

Well that's certainly cool for people that don't have the DVD. It wasn't
one of my very first DVDs, but it was added to my collection shortly after
getting my first DVD player. Dark City certainly has to be one of the best
sci-fi films in recent years.

Tarkus

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 05:41:02 GMT, Raul Bloodworth wrote:

> Ah well,Wal-Mart philistines have sent it to the Sale Bin accompanying the
> "Ernest Goes to...." Was one of the first two DVDs ever owned. Just
> watched it tonight , good as ever!

Best Buy had it for $5.99 (or thereabouts) several months ago. They
called it a special purchase, though. Not sure if they still have it for
that price.
--
"I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates. There's too many
captains on this island. Ten thousand dollars for me by myself. For

Now playing: "Pink Floyd - The Last Few Bricks"

Lookingglass

Terrific movie... very imaginative... better than the Matrix.

Dave Chabot http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) www.Shemakhan.com

Peter Briggs

"Michael Black" <mblack@{SPAM BLOWS}michaelblack.com{CHUNKS}> wrote:

>Dark City certainly has to be one of the best
> sci-fi films in recent years.

Not only do I think it's one of the worst sci-fi films I've seen in
recent years, it's got to be one of the worst films I'vve ever sat
through in a movie theater...

Peter Briggs

Lookingglass <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Terrific movie... very imaginative... better than the Matrix.

Please...

Lookingglass

What is it about DARK CITY you don't like? Whereas MATRIX is an excuse to
display some great special effects, DARK CITY is an intriguing "film
noiresque" story that happens to be a fantasy of sorts... I think the
production of the film is terrific...the changing cityscape is a wonderful
visuall... the story is an odd one, but then I like to be surprised and
entertained... the acting is good... I also like THE CITY OF LOST
CHILDREN... very imaginative and a great production.

Dave Chabot (E-Mail Removed) www.Shemakhan.com

"Peter Briggs" <pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1g739fg.qmzcj6hnnlhcN%pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescr ibe.demon.co.uk...
> Lookingglass <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Terrific movie... very imaginative... better than the Matrix.

> Please...

Wade365

<< Not only do I think it's one of the worst sci-fi films I've seen in
recent years, it's got to be one of the worst films I'vve ever sat
through in a movie theater... >>

I fell asleep in the theater, but I've come to like it a lot better since
staying awake and seeing it on home video... I remember the day I went, I was
definitely tired but at the time I blamed the film... it deserved a better
shake.

Still not great or anything... didn't Peter Lorre's estate sue Sutherland over
the performance? They should have.

Tabernacle

Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<22mhdnve4ue8$(E-Mail Removed)9.com>...
> On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 05:41:02 GMT, Raul Bloodworth wrote:
>
> > Ah well,Wal-Mart philistines have sent it to the Sale Bin accompanying the
> > "Ernest Goes to...." Was one of the first two DVDs ever owned. Just
> > watched it tonight , good as ever!

> Best Buy had it for $5.99 (or thereabouts) several months ago. They
> called it a special purchase, though. Not sure if they still have it for
> that price.

Ain't it funny how some things work out? Seeing as this was one of the
titles that I missed when it first came out as it had come out before
I got my first DVD player (and so it was gone off the stores shelves
by that time), and so as a result I have spent almost 18 months
looking for a decent copy (almost got one on ebay a year ago for
$14.40 but got outbid at the last minute... literally) and here I not
only find it in the $5.88 bin but it is now going for $5.50 at that!

Not bad for a dvd that listed for $25.00!

Tabernacle

"Michael Black" <mblack@{SPAM BLOWS}michaelblack.com{CHUNKS}> wrote in message news:<ITOJb.20508$P%(E-Mail Removed) igy.com>...
> "Raul Bloodworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OHNJb.46167$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Ah well,Wal-Mart philistines have sent it to the Sale Bin accompanying the
> > "Ernest Goes to...." Was one of the first two DVDs ever owned. Just
> > watched it tonight , good as ever!
> >

> Well that's certainly cool for people that don't have the DVD. It wasn't
> one of my very first DVDs, but it was added to my collection shortly after
> getting my first DVD player. Dark City certainly has to be one of the best
> sci-fi films in recent years.

I really liked it a lot as well seeing as it had that same feel like
that of the first Alien movie! In fact the only thing that I think
might have made it a little better was if Jennifer Connelly (Emma) had
been in a little more of it and if she had shown a lot more skin (say
if she had been a stripper or the friend/coworker of the hooker that
got slashed rather than a singer in a bar)!

BTW I had heard that she was going to star in a new movie called "Dark
Water" which I hoped was a sequel to Dark City (which had also been
called in the past "Dark World" and Dark Empire") but alas it turns
out dark water is only a plain old horror movie/ghost story!