Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > "Family Guy" DVD Breaking Records - What I Miss?

"Family Guy" DVD Breaking Records - What I Miss?

solipsistic@earthlink.net

http://www.wkyt.com/Global/story.asp?S=1584513

<So what did you all see in this show that failed to elicit any kind
of response from me other then just slightly amused when I landed on
it for a few minutes at a time while flipping>

A T-V flop is a hit on D-V-D

Undated-AP -- High ratings were hard to come by on FOX for the
animated comedy "Family Guy," but its a whole different story on
D-V-D.

Eighteen months after "Family Guy" was canceled, it's breaking D-V-D
sales records.

"Family Guy: Volume One" has sold nearly one (m) million copies,
making it 2003's top-selling T-V show on D-V-D. It's the number four
television title ever.

Volume two is now on sale and has sold more than half a (m) million
copies.

Reruns of "Family Guy" are also getting good ratings on Cartoon
Network.

"Family Guy" is a sometimes crude version of the Simpsons with an
obnoxious dad, an understanding mom and some wacky kids.

FOX apparently isn't about to let the "Family Guy" success stop. There
is talk that the network may bring the show back, possibly by next
year.

It would be the first time a show was brought back from the dead
because of booming D-V-D sales.

AP Links:

www.foxhome.com

Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material
may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Metlhd3138

><So what did you all see in this show that failed to elicit any kind
>of response from me other then just slightly amused when I landed on
>it for a few minutes at a time while flipping>

The parodies are dead-on. Plus its always good to see a New Englander make good
(no adam sandler jokes please). Plus it fits great into cartoon networks adult
swim block.

Codswallop

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 17:02:48 GMT, wrote in alt.video.dvd:

> So what did you all see in this show that failed to elicit any kind
> of response from me other then just slightly amused when I landed on
> it for a few minutes at a time while flipping

Yeah, when this show first aired on TV, I thought it was a sad piece of
crap; and ripped off the Simpsons. I think only the first series (and
possibly some of the second) was shown here in Australia.

However, a friend of mine was praising the show like it was directed by
Jesus himself, so I downloaded a couple of episodes (this is before it
was released on DVD).

What can I say? I was hooked! I ended up downloading the whole three
series and loved every minute of it. Just waiting for the DVDs to get a
bit cheaper before I buy them.

Trust me, the series is great. I still don't think it's for everyone,
but most people I know love it -- though most never gave it a chance
the first time they saw it.

--
- Cods

(un ROT-13 to e-mail)

Louis

"Metlhd3138" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ><So what did you all see in this show that failed to elicit any kind
> >of response from me other then just slightly amused when I landed on
> >it for a few minutes at a time while flipping>

> The parodies are dead-on. Plus its always good to see a New Englander make

good
> (no adam sandler jokes please). Plus it fits great into cartoon networks

adult
> swim block.

Yeah, along with Futurama, the two greatest, canceled shows I can recall.
Considering the crap which gets renewed (especially comedy), it's
practically a crime against humanity.

Richard G Amirault

I bought the entire series on VCD off eBay way before the DVD was even
announced. Now, of course, I have bought both sets on DVD as well

Great show!

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

Codswallop <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)
: What can I say? I was hooked! I ended up downloading the whole three
: series and loved every minute of it. Just waiting for the DVDs to get a
: bit cheaper before I buy them.

: Trust me, the series is great. I still don't think it's for everyone,
: but most people I know love it -- though most never gave it a chance
: the first time they saw it.

CLOSEDOWN8

>So what did you all see in this show that failed to elicit any kind
>of response from me other then just slightly amused when I landed on
>it for a few minutes at a time while flipping

Dumb people like bad comedy and there are a lot of dumb people in the world.

--------------------------------
"That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi

Peter

I think Fox killed the show because of poor time slots and constantly
moving it around. Much like it Killed Futurama, another brilliant show.

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> http://www.wkyt.com/Global/story.asp?S=1584513
>
> <So what did you all see in this show that failed to elicit any kind
> of response from me other then just slightly amused when I landed on
> it for a few minutes at a time while flipping>
>

> A T-V flop is a hit on D-V-D
>
> Undated-AP -- High ratings were hard to come by on FOX for the
> animated comedy "Family Guy," but its a whole different story on
> D-V-D.
>
> Eighteen months after "Family Guy" was canceled, it's breaking D-V-D
> sales records.
>
> "Family Guy: Volume One" has sold nearly one (m) million copies,
> making it 2003's top-selling T-V show on D-V-D. It's the number four
> television title ever.
>
> Volume two is now on sale and has sold more than half a (m) million
> copies.
>
> Reruns of "Family Guy" are also getting good ratings on Cartoon
> Network.
>
> "Family Guy" is a sometimes crude version of the Simpsons with an
> obnoxious dad, an understanding mom and some wacky kids.
>
> FOX apparently isn't about to let the "Family Guy" success stop. There
> is talk that the network may bring the show back, possibly by next
> year.
>
> It would be the first time a show was brought back from the dead
> because of booming D-V-D sales.
>
> AP Links:
>
> www.foxhome.com
>
> Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material
> may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

--
Please help stop Forced Trailers on DVD's
Please sign the Petition at

Frank

"Louis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:AKIJb.6985$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...

> "Metlhd3138" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > ><So what did you all see in this show that failed to elicit any kind
> > >of response from me other then just slightly amused when I landed on
> > >it for a few minutes at a time while flipping>

> > The parodies are dead-on. Plus its always good to see a New Englander

make
> good
> > (no adam sandler jokes please). Plus it fits great into cartoon networks

> adult
> > swim block.

> Yeah, along with Futurama, the two greatest, canceled shows I can recall.
> Considering the crap which gets renewed (especially comedy), it's
> practically a crime against humanity.

Agreed - love both of these. Now if Fox would also bring back Futurama...

Metlhd3138

>Now if Fox would also bring back Futurama...

They cant! The show ended with leela and fyr walking away together. Its already
got a solid ending,,we dont need to see the post-wedding eps.

nomis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Metlhd313 wrote:

> >Now if Fox would also bring back Futurama...
> >

> They cant! The show ended with leela and fyr walking away together. Its
> already
> got a solid ending,,we dont need to see the post-wedding eps.

Though the ep can be seen as being an ending (one of the reasons
Groening and company fought to have it aired last) it wasn't produced as
such. I can't remember which episode WAS intended for the end (it might
have been the ep with the cast of Star Trek--which they refer to as
another classic sci-fi show cancelled before its time), but it definitly
was the one we saw.

And, of course, Matt and David have always wanted it to continue and
there is talk of a movie.

nomis

http://www.oozingbrain.com

home to _Withered Spirits: The Works of Terry Lamsley_
and _The Big F Webpage_ (diehards unite!)