Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > What DVD players are MPEG compatable

What DVD players are MPEG compatable

Mike Connolly

Do most DVD player support MPG files and how can you tell? The specs don't
seem to specify MPG compatibility. My standalone Zenith DVB312 DVD does not
recognize my MPEGS. Is there an alternative to record video files in
another format my DVD will recognize? The DVD seems to play commercial
movies just fine. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Anonymous Joe

"Mike Connolly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Do most DVD player support MPG files and how can you tell? The specs

don't
> seem to specify MPG compatibility. My standalone Zenith DVB312 DVD does

not
> recognize my MPEGS. Is there an alternative to record video files in
> another format my DVD will recognize? The DVD seems to play commercial
> movies just fine. Thanks in advance.
>

> Mike

Well, this is a sort of strange question, since DVDs are nothing more than
MPEG-2 video w/ Dolby Digital (AC3) sound. No, it has nothing to do with
the fact you are using MPEG sound, it has to do with the fact you are using
a .MPG file on an ISO burned disc. DVDs use UDF, but even using that won't
help you.

What you should try to do is see what type of MPG file it is. Download
TMPGEnc, and go to File > MPEG Tools > De-Multiplex, load the MPG file and
see what it says for the video & audio.

If the video is 352x240, 29.97fps (or 23.967fps), MPEG-1, and the audio is
layer-2 44.1khz (or 44100hz) 224kbps, then what you have is a perfect Video
CD file. In Nero, you want to choose a Video CD project, drop in that MPG
file and burn it. If it gives you a improper stream encoding, what that
means is the header is set for MPEG, not VCD. You can change it to VCD, by
using the MPEG Tools option again, and going to Simple Multiplex, load in
the MPG file, and set the output to a new MPG file, and change TYPE to
MPEG-1 Video CD. You'll be able to write up to an 800mb MPG file onto 1
80min CD-R using that TYPE.

If the video is 480x480, 29.97fps, MPEG-2, and the audio is layer-2 44.1khz
(44100hz) 224kbps, then what you have is a perfect Super Video CD. These
are better looking than VCD, not as good as DVD, but better than VHS. In
Nero, you have to choose Super Video CD project, and the stream encoding
error again is solved by doing what you do for VCD, except choose TYPE
MPEG-2 Super Video CD. Also, you can fit the same 800mb on an 80min CD-R,
just like VCD.

If you have something that is 352x288 25fps MPEG-1, or 480x576 25fps MPEG-2,
this is a PAL video. It will either play correctly on the DVD player or it
won't (meaning it plays incorrectly or not at all).

Also, I've looked up your DVD player at www.dvdrhelp.com, and it says that
these discs will ONLY play on your machine if you use a "remote hack trick."
There appears to be more than 1 type of hack, depending on the date the
machine was made, but here is the page with a list of hacks:
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks.php...=Zenith+DVB312

You will need to apply those in order to get the VCD/SVCD working.

Also, perhaps after enabling this, it will allow you to use MPG files on
ISO. This isn't as good as VCD/SVCD, because you can only fit 700mb on a
disc, where as with VCD/SVCD you can fit 800mb.

Anonymous Joe

"Mike Connolly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Do most DVD player support MPG files and how can you tell? The specs

don't
> seem to specify MPG compatibility. My standalone Zenith DVB312 DVD does

not
> recognize my MPEGS. Is there an alternative to record video files in
> another format my DVD will recognize? The DVD seems to play commercial
> movies just fine. Thanks in advance.
>
> Mike

Also, I forgot to mention, if you don't have Nero, you can use VCDEasy to
build an ISO image or a BIN/CUE image, not sure which one it does, and then
you can use a burning program to burn with.

And, as a comparitive, I believe my Apex AD-1500 plays MPG on ISO okay.
Someone burned me a disc like that, and it played fine. I don't use that
format, though, since you loose 100mb of space (the 700 v 800mb thing). I
also have an older Zenith, (made in 2001 I believe), that refuses to play
VCD/SVCD/MPG. It wont even play DVD-RW, DVD+RW correctly, as it jumps
around (start/stop/start/stop/etc.).

Jeff Chow

> Do most DVD player support MPG files and how can you tell?

They all do. You can tell by putting a DVD into the player, and if you can
watch the DVD, then you know it does support Mpeg files, because that is what
DVD is, Mpg2 video, and Video CDs, (which all DVD players also play) are Mpg1.

> The specs don't
> seem to specify MPG compatibility. My standalone Zenith DVB312 DVD does not
> recognize my MPEGS.

It doesn't play any DVDs? Then bring it back to the store and get one that
works.

> Is there an alternative to record video files in
> another format my DVD will recognize? The DVD seems to play commercial
> movies just fine.

What? Above you said it didn't play Mpegs. Now you say it plays them just
fine.

John Howells

"Jeff Chow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> > Do most DVD player support MPG files and how can you tell?

> They all do.

Mine doesn't! It does support MPEG files after they've been converted to
VOB/IFO sets according to the DVD standard, but not MPG.

John Howells

Rich Clark

"Mike Connolly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Do most DVD player support MPG files and how can you tell? The specs

don't
> seem to specify MPG compatibility. My standalone Zenith DVB312 DVD does

not
> recognize my MPEGS. Is there an alternative to record video files in
> another format my DVD will recognize? The DVD seems to play commercial
> movies just fine. Thanks in advance.

Are you talking about MPEG-1 video files? Usually they need to be authored
as VCDs (Video CDs) for players to recognize and play them, and not all
players do. But try using something like TMPGenc or Nero to make VCDs.

Learn all about it at www.dvdrhelp.com.

RichC

Mike Connolly

Thanks to everyone who answered especially Anonymous Joe. The "Remote Hack
Trick" did the job. I also downloaded Nero to burn the VCD. That worked
great too. I would have never got this to work withoiut your help.

Thanks,
Mike