Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Playing region 2 DVDs in a "region-free" DVD player.

Playing region 2 DVDs in a "region-free" DVD player.

Swaroop Kumar

Is there a difference between region-free DVD players and multi-region
DVD players? For example, the listing for the Norcent DP-316V DVD
player on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=electronics)
seems to indicate that "NTSC/PAL conversion output lets you play
region-free U.K. DVDs". Are there such things as region-free DVDs? I
would appreciate it if somebody would please enlighten me in this
matter.

Thank you in advance,
Swaroop

Joshua Zyber

"Swaroop Kumar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Is there a difference between region-free DVD players and multi-region
> DVD players? For example, the listing for the Norcent DP-316V DVD
> player on Amazon

(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...qid=/sr=1-4/re
f=pd_sbs_e_1/002-5970346-9482463?v=glance&s=electronics)
> seems to indicate that "NTSC/PAL conversion output lets you play
> region-free U.K. DVDs". Are there such things as region-free DVDs? I
> would appreciate it if somebody would please enlighten me in this
> matter.

There are DVDs that are coded "All-Region" aka "Region 0". These have no
restrictions on where in the world they can be played, other than the
limitations of the PAL and NTSC video formats.

The DVD player referenced above sounds like it is capable of converting
PAL to NTSC, but its region-blocking is still in place. Therefore, it
will play Region 0 discs from either PAL or NTSC countries, but will not
play discs specifically coded for a region other than Region 1.

What you need is a region-free player that will also do the PAL/NTSC
conversion. These come in two flavors: Those set permanently for "Play
All Regions", or those that allow you to manually select which region
you want on a disc-by-disc basis. The latter are preferable, as they
allow you to bypass discs with RCE (Region Code Enhancement).

Swaroop Kumar

Thank you, Joshua. Can you quote some examples of the second type of
DVD players (like manufacturer, model #, etc.)?

Thank you.

Regards,
Swaroop

"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<34hJb.5085$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net>...
> "Swaroop Kumar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Is there a difference between region-free DVD players and multi-region
> > DVD players? For example, the listing for the Norcent DP-316V DVD
> > player on Amazon

> (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...qid=/sr=1-4/re
> f=pd_sbs_e_1/002-5970346-9482463?v=glance&s=electronics)
> > seems to indicate that "NTSC/PAL conversion output lets you play
> > region-free U.K. DVDs". Are there such things as region-free DVDs? I
> > would appreciate it if somebody would please enlighten me in this
> > matter.

> There are DVDs that are coded "All-Region" aka "Region 0". These have no
> restrictions on where in the world they can be played, other than the
> limitations of the PAL and NTSC video formats.
>
> The DVD player referenced above sounds like it is capable of converting
> PAL to NTSC, but its region-blocking is still in place. Therefore, it
> will play Region 0 discs from either PAL or NTSC countries, but will not
> play discs specifically coded for a region other than Region 1.
>
> What you need is a region-free player that will also do the PAL/NTSC
> conversion. These come in two flavors: Those set permanently for "Play
> All Regions", or those that allow you to manually select which region
> you want on a disc-by-disc basis. The latter are preferable, as they
> allow you to bypass discs with RCE (Region Code Enhancement).

John Harkness

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Swaroop Kumar) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Thank you, Joshua. Can you quote some examples of the second type of
> DVD players (like manufacturer, model #, etc.)?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Regards,
> Swaroop

Most Malata players handle PAL conversion.

John Harkness

Try www.dvdrhelp.com for more info.