Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > S-Video Input

S-Video Input

Cheryl

Hi Group.

I just bought a new DVD/VCR combo and the salesman told me I would get a better picture
if I purchased an S-Video Cable and used it. Now, that I have everything unpacked, where does the S-Video go?

Rich Clark

"Cheryl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)1.com...
> Hi Group.
>
> I just bought a new DVD/VCR combo and the salesman told me I would get a

better picture
> if I purchased an S-Video Cable and used it. Now, that I have everything

unpacked, where does the S-Video go?

It goes from the s-video output on the back of your player to the s-video
input on the back of your TV.

If your TV has no such input, the cble goes around the throat of the
salesman.

RichC

Anonymous Joe

"Cheryl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)1.com...
> Hi Group.
>
> I just bought a new DVD/VCR combo and the salesman told me I would get a

better picture
> if I purchased an S-Video Cable and used it. Now, that I have everything

unpacked, where does the S-Video go?

What the salesman should have mentioned is that to use teh S-Video cable,
you need to have an S-Video input on your TV. So, if you have an S-Video
input on the back of your TV, thats where it goes. The other end of the
cable goes to the output on the DVD/VCR combo (not sure if these have an
input, thats why I put in that part).

If your TV has a component input, which is 3 cables with 3 colors, Red,
Green, and Blue, (I believe they may be labeled "Y" "Cr" and "Cb"), this
will give you better picture, but only if the DVD/VCR has that output as
well.

Also, if you have a 5.1 or 6.1 surround sound system, your receiver would
have video inputs as well, so you could attach the S-Video output from the
DVD to the DVD S-Video input on the receiver, so long as you have a cable
that goes from the TV out on your receiver, to the TV. This is also a good
way to attach multiple devices, so you can have, for example, a DVD/VCR on
'DVD', a PS2 on 'VCR1' and a camcorder on a front input, mine is called
'VCR2,' this way you can have >1 device attached to 1 input on the TV,
useful if you only have the 1 input for the TV.

Mark B.

"Cheryl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)1.com...
> Hi Group.
>
> I just bought a new DVD/VCR combo and the salesman told me I would get a

better picture
> if I purchased an S-Video Cable and used it. Now, that I have everything

unpacked, where does the S-Video go?

S-Video out from the DVD player to the S-Video in on your TV.

Mark

Justin

Rich Clark wrote on [Thu, 1 Jan 2004 18:54:17 -0500]:
> "Cheryl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)1.com...
>> Hi Group.
>>
>> I just bought a new DVD/VCR combo and the salesman told me I would get a

> better picture
>> if I purchased an S-Video Cable and used it. Now, that I have everything

> unpacked, where does the S-Video go?
>
> It goes from the s-video output on the back of your player to the s-video
> input on the back of your TV.
>
> If your TV has no such input, the cble goes around the throat of the
> salesman.

How did the salesman know whether or not the TV had the correct inputs?

Joshua Zyber

"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
> > It goes from the s-video output on the back of your player to the

s-video
> > input on the back of your TV.
> >
> > If your TV has no such input, the cble goes around the throat of the
> > salesman.

> How did the salesman know whether or not the TV had the correct

inputs?

He should have asked before selling the cable.

Justin

Joshua Zyber wrote on [Fri, 02 Jan 2004 02:04:10 GMT]:
> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
>> > It goes from the s-video output on the back of your player to the

> s-video
>> > input on the back of your TV.
>> >
>> > If your TV has no such input, the cble goes around the throat of the
>> > salesman.

>> How did the salesman know whether or not the TV had the correct

> inputs?
>
> He should have asked before selling the cable.

How do you know he didn't?

Joshua Zyber

"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
> >> How did the salesman know whether or not the TV had the correct

> > inputs?
> >
> > He should have asked before selling the cable.

> How do you know he didn't?

If he did ask, then it's the original poster's own damn fault for saying
"yes" when he didn't actually know for sure.

Scot Gardner

"Rich Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi Group.
>
> I just bought a new DVD/VCR combo and the salesman told me I would get
> a better picture if I purchased an S-Video Cable and used it. Now,
> that I have everything unpacked, where does the S-Video go?

<<It goes from the s-video output on the back of your player to the
> s-video input on the back of your TV.>>

<<If your TV has no such input, the cable goes around the throat of the
salesman.>>

There is also a chance that the player has no S-video output. I don't
know if this is an industry trend, but the Panasonic DVDS25S has no
S-video output. This is the first DVD player that I have ever seen
without an S-video output.

Component Video Out (Y, PB, PR) Yes
Video Out Yes
S-Video Out No

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...Model=DVD-S25S

Panasonic DVD-S25 DVD Player with Progressive Scan, MP3 and Some
Surprises

Cons
Coaxial out instead of optical, no S-Video out, no DVD-RAM playback

Another surprise was the lack of an S-Video out.

http://www.epinions.com/content_122058215044

Rich Clark

"Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:20040102093223.123$(E-Mail Removed)...

<<There is also a chance that the player has no S-video output. I don't
know if this is an industry trend, but the Panasonic DVDS25S has no
S-video output. This is the first DVD player that I have ever seen
without an S-video output.>>

Huh. I guess they figure that the point of a cheap progressive scan player
is that it has component outs. With a list price of $80 the corner-cutting
isn't that big a surprise.

<<Cons
Coaxial out instead of optical, no S-Video out, no DVD-RAM playback>>

I don't consider that a drawback if you can have only one DA output.

RichC