Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > I LOVE FULLSCREEN

I LOVE FULLSCREEN

Michael Rogers

Fullscreen should mean original aspect ratio. So widescreen is actually
fullscreen and what is called "fullscreen" is actually "cropped" or "Pan
and scan" or "halfscreen" or "3/4 screen". This applies to all films not
of Academy ratio, of course. Wizard Of Oz and Casablanca for example
actually are pretty much fullscreen with the 4:3 TV screen filled.

Down with "fullscreen" used as a term to describe cropped and pan and
scan movies.

I have said before that I think "pan and scan" DVD's should still be
produced (provided they don't replace widescreen DVD's) but they all
should have a statement to the effect of:

"This film was originally shot in anamorphic widescreen at a ratio of
2.35 to 1. To modify this film to fill your TV, it was nessasary to crop
out 40% of the original picture. While the best effort was made to focus
on the most "important" part of the picture, there will still be
elements that were meant to be seen by the filmakers that will be not
seen on this DVD.

Also, if you intend to purchase a Widescreen (16:9 ratio) television in
the future, this DVD will require bars at either side of this image to
view it without distortion."

Reginald Dwight

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Michael Rogers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Fullscreen should mean original aspect ratio. So widescreen is actually
> fullscreen and what is called "fullscreen" is actually "cropped" or "Pan
> and scan" or "halfscreen" or "3/4 screen". This applies to all films not
> of Academy ratio, of course. Wizard Of Oz and Casablanca for example
> actually are pretty much fullscreen with the 4:3 TV screen filled.
>
> Down with "fullscreen" used as a term to describe cropped and pan and
> scan movies.
>
> I have said before that I think "pan and scan" DVD's should still be
> produced (provided they don't replace widescreen DVD's) but they all
> should have a statement to the effect of:
>
> "This film was originally shot in anamorphic widescreen at a ratio of
> 2.35 to 1. To modify this film to fill your TV, it was nessasary to crop
> out 40% of the original picture. While the best effort was made to focus
> on the most "important" part of the picture, there will still be
> elements that were meant to be seen by the filmakers that will be not
> seen on this DVD.
>
> Also, if you intend to purchase a Widescreen (16:9 ratio) television in
> the future, this DVD will require bars at either side of this image to
> view it without distortion."

I love this post! Excellent, Michael!