Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > 28 Days Later distortion -- mpeg artifacts ??

28 Days Later distortion -- mpeg artifacts ??

Troy Cauble

I noticed some weird distortion on my copy of 28 Days Later.
I was wondering if someone can tell me what it is.

There were several places where faces seemed to morph as someone
moved their head.

At about 35:45, they're in the apartment saying "I think they're
good people. I'd leave them behind." etc. As Selena talks and
nods her head, her face morphs around her right eye.

At about 109:55 (very beginning of chapter 21) there's a brief
closeup on the army leader's face. The camera shakes and it's
like part of his face shakes and part doesn't. Also if you
look at the light bracket behind him, the crosspiece appears
to move independent of the vertical piece.

Is this a basic MPEG artifact? Something to do with the movie
being shot on DV?

-troy

Ronald Cole

Troy Cauble <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I noticed some weird distortion on my copy of 28 Days Later.
> I was wondering if someone can tell me what it is.
>
> There were several places where faces seemed to morph as someone
> moved their head.
>
> At about 35:45, they're in the apartment saying "I think they're
> good people. I'd leave them behind." etc. As Selena talks and
> nods her head, her face morphs around her right eye.
>
> At about 109:55 (very beginning of chapter 21) there's a brief
> closeup on the army leader's face. The camera shakes and it's
> like part of his face shakes and part doesn't. Also if you
> look at the light bracket behind him, the crosspiece appears
> to move independent of the vertical piece.
>
> Is this a basic MPEG artifact? Something to do with the movie
> being shot on DV?

No, it's an overcompression artifact. You'll see more than your fill
on most any channel of a Dish Network receiver. Local-in-local
channels are the worst offenders.

Ronald Cole <(E-Mail Removed)> Phone: (760) 499-9142
President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152