Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Please help - widescreen bloopers

Please help - widescreen bloopers

Heather4

Ok, I really like the widescreen format even though I have (what used to be)
a standard dimension TV screen.
Problem is, many (but not all) of the "Widescreen" DVD's I get don't perform
as I would expect, with the black bars on top and bottom. One of 3 things
happens.

1. Plays as a widescreen movie with black bars on top and bottom. This is
what I want.

2. Plays as a full screen movie.

3. Plays as a full screen movie but it appears that it has been "squished"
in at the sides, essentially making objects on the screen seem taller and
skinnier than they should be.

On some double-sided DVD's I have, I'd rather watch the full-screen version
(#2) than the squished widescreen version (#3) which looks really unnatural.

Thank you in advance for any help!
HR

Grand Inquisitor

Heather4 wrote:
> Ok, I really like the widescreen format even though I have (what used to be)
> a standard dimension TV screen.
> Problem is, many (but not all) of the "Widescreen" DVD's I get don't perform
> as I would expect, with the black bars on top and bottom. One of 3 things
> happens.
>
> 1. Plays as a widescreen movie with black bars on top and bottom. This is
> what I want.
>
> 2. Plays as a full screen movie.

One of two things are happening, either you've accidentally selected the
4:3 version of the movie (sometimes both versions are on the same side
of the disc), or your player is trying to downconvert a widescreen
picture by just zooming into the picture, kind of an automatic pan and
scan (without the panning, of course).

> 3. Plays as a full screen movie but it appears that it has been "squished"
> in at the sides, essentially making objects on the screen seem taller and
> skinnier than they should be.

You are seeing a squished picture because you are watching an anamorphic
DVD, but your player is not set up to down-convert the picture to 4:3.
All players are different, consult your instructions to see how to set
your player properly. Here's a handy page to explain all of this stuff:

> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~leopold/Ld/FilmToVideo/

and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor

Doonie

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:35:37 -0500, Heather4 wrote:

>Ok, I really like the widescreen format even though I have (what used to be)
>a standard dimension TV screen.
>Problem is, many (but not all) of the "Widescreen" DVD's I get don't perform
>as I would expect, with the black bars on top and bottom. One of 3 things
>happens.
>
>1. Plays as a widescreen movie with black bars on top and bottom. This is
>what I want.
>
>2. Plays as a full screen movie.
>
>3. Plays as a full screen movie but it appears that it has been "squished"
>in at the sides, essentially making objects on the screen seem taller and
>skinnier than they should be.

Sounds like you have your player in 16:9 mode. Go into its setup
menu and tell it it's connected to a 4:3 TV.

--
Don't let your children watch television.

Heather4

Very informative site. Thanks for the info.

"Grand Inquisitor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%G%Hb.37640$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Heather4 wrote:
> > Ok, I really like the widescreen format even though I have (what used to

be)
> > a standard dimension TV screen.
> > Problem is, many (but not all) of the "Widescreen" DVD's I get don't

perform
> > as I would expect, with the black bars on top and bottom. One of 3

things
> > happens.
> >
> > 1. Plays as a widescreen movie with black bars on top and bottom. This

is
> > what I want.
> >
> > 2. Plays as a full screen movie.
> >

> One of two things are happening, either you've accidentally selected the
> 4:3 version of the movie (sometimes both versions are on the same side
> of the disc), or your player is trying to downconvert a widescreen
> picture by just zooming into the picture, kind of an automatic pan and
> scan (without the panning, of course).
>
> > 3. Plays as a full screen movie but it appears that it has been

"squished"
> > in at the sides, essentially making objects on the screen seem taller

and
> > skinnier than they should be.
> >

> You are seeing a squished picture because you are watching an anamorphic
> DVD, but your player is not set up to down-convert the picture to 4:3.
> All players are different, consult your instructions to see how to set
> your player properly. Here's a handy page to explain all of this stuff:
>
> > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~leopold/Ld/FilmToVideo/

> --
> "Get rid of the Range Rover. You are not responsible for patrolling
> Australia's Dingo Barrier Fence, nor do you work the Savannah, capturing
> and tagging wildebeests."
> --Michael J. Nelson
>
> Grand Inquisitor
> http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=Oost

Heather4

Thanks, I figured out how to change it to 4:3 Letterbox and that did the
trick, except for the anamorphic widescreen DVD's.

news(E-Mail Removed)...

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 01:29:52 -0500, Heather4 wrote:

>Thanks, I figured out how to change it to 4:3 Letterbox and that did the
>trick, except for the anamorphic widescreen DVD's.

Set at 4:3, your player *should* be downconverting the anamorphic
image to fit onto your 4:3 TV.. Only with your player set to 16:9
mode would the image look tall and skinny/stretched.

--
Don't let your children watch television.

Richard C.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: 1. Plays as a widescreen movie with black bars on top and bottom. This is
: what I want.
:
: 2. Plays as a full screen movie.
:
: 3. Plays as a full screen movie but it appears that it has been "squished"
: in at the sides, essentially making objects on the screen seem taller and
: skinnier than they should be.
:
: On some double-sided DVD's I have, I'd rather watch the full-screen version
: (#2) than the squished widescreen version (#3) which looks really unnatural.
:
:
========================
You must go into your DVD set-up and select 4:3 letterboxed in the screen portion.
It sounds like your player thinks you have a 16:9 set.

Richard C.

"Heather4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: Thanks, I figured out how to change it to 4:3 Letterbox and that did the
: trick, except for the anamorphic widescreen DVD's.

============
Even they should display properly.
==================
:
:
: "Doonie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news(E-Mail Removed)...
: > On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:35:37 -0500, Heather4 wrote:
: >
: > >Ok, I really like the widescreen format even though I have (what used to
: be)
: > >a standard dimension TV screen.
: > >Problem is, many (but not all) of the "Widescreen" DVD's I get don't
: perform
: > >as I would expect, with the black bars on top and bottom. One of 3
: things
: > >happens.
: > >
: > >1. Plays as a widescreen movie with black bars on top and bottom. This
: is
: > >what I want.
: > >
: > >2. Plays as a full screen movie.
: > >
: > >3. Plays as a full screen movie but it appears that it has been
: "squished"
: > >in at the sides, essentially making objects on the screen seem taller and
: > >skinnier than they should be.
: >
: > Sounds like you have your player in 16:9 mode. Go into its setup
: > menu and tell it it's connected to a 4:3 TV.
: >
:
: > --
: > Don't let your children watch television.
:
:

Heather4

Actually, the anamorphic widescreen DVD I just checked (Miller's Crossing)
appears as a full-screen image with no stretching or skewing. This is with
the DVD player set to 4:3 or 4:3 Letterbox.

H4

Note to self: Don't set the player to progressive scan if you're not using
component video jacks - yiiiikes where'd the picture go? Got it back after
much fiddling.

"Doonie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 01:29:52 -0500, Heather4 wrote:
>
> >Thanks, I figured out how to change it to 4:3 Letterbox and that did the
> >trick, except for the anamorphic widescreen DVD's.

> Set at 4:3, your player *should* be downconverting the anamorphic
> image to fit onto your 4:3 TV.. Only with your player set to 16:9
> mode would the image look tall and skinny/stretched.
>
> --
> Don't let your children watch television.

Justin

Heather4 wrote on [Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:17:08 -0500]:
> Actually, the anamorphic widescreen DVD I just checked (Miller's Crossing)
> appears as a full-screen image with no stretching or skewing. This is with
> the DVD player set to 4:3 or 4:3 Letterbox.

Is there a zoom function that's turned on?

Widescreen: Widescreen TVs at SEARS liukaiyuan DVD Video 0 05-04-2008 01:45 AM
bloopers motormovies DVD Video 0 12-17-2005 07:08 AM
Widescreen shows on widescreen TV Limited Edition Clear Vinyl DVD Video 10 04-04-2004 10:03 AM
Nemo bloopers Frohike DVD Video 8 11-11-2003 05:05 AM