Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > file to large

file to large

Jim & Sharon

i got a memorex dvd burner with roxio software for christmas. because of my
analoge camcorder i am using a Dazzle to capture my video to the pc (
windows 2000 pro)

is there a way that i can fit 2 hours of tape onto a single 4.7 gig dvd i
have been trying but cannot get the file small enough.

thanks jimmy

Cathy De Viney

Try DVDShrink?

www.dvdrhelp.com

"Jim & Sharon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i got a memorex dvd burner with roxio software for christmas. because of

my
> analoge camcorder i am using a Dazzle to capture my video to the pc (
> windows 2000 pro)
>
> is there a way that i can fit 2 hours of tape onto a single 4.7 gig dvd i
> have been trying but cannot get the file small enough.
>
> thanks jimmy

Pug Fugley

You have to compress the video as you capture it to make it fit. Of course
you'll be losing quality that way but it's the only way to fit that much on
a DVD.

"Jim & Sharon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i got a memorex dvd burner with roxio software for christmas. because of

my
> analoge camcorder i am using a Dazzle to capture my video to the pc (
> windows 2000 pro)
>
> is there a way that i can fit 2 hours of tape onto a single 4.7 gig dvd i
> have been trying but cannot get the file small enough.
>
> thanks jimmy

Mark W

"Jim & Sharon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i got a memorex dvd burner with roxio software for christmas. because of

my
> analoge camcorder i am using a Dazzle to capture my video to the pc (
> windows 2000 pro)
>
> is there a way that i can fit 2 hours of tape onto a single 4.7 gig dvd i
> have been trying but cannot get the file small enough.
>
> thanks jimmy

You could run whatever program you put your posts through that leave out the
odd letter in words, that might reduce the length a little.

Funkyman

"Jim & Sharon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i got a memorex dvd burner with roxio software for christmas. because of

my
> analoge camcorder i am using a Dazzle to capture my video to the pc (
> windows 2000 pro)
>
> is there a way that i can fit 2 hours of tape onto a single 4.7 gig dvd i
> have been trying but cannot get the file small enough.
>
> thanks jimmy

Use TMPGEnc to reduce it, by reducing the bitrate. Although you will loose
quality.

Dave

Anonymous Joe

"Jim & Sharon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i got a memorex dvd burner with roxio software for christmas. because of

my
> analoge camcorder i am using a Dazzle to capture my video to the pc (
> windows 2000 pro)
>
> is there a way that i can fit 2 hours of tape onto a single 4.7 gig dvd i
> have been trying but cannot get the file small enough.
>
> thanks jimmy

You need to format it to DVD specs. Since you are in the US, you need to do
the following:

Convert it to a 720x480 29.97fps MPEG-2 with 18 frames per GOP, and either a
4:3 flag or a 16:9 flag, and a average bitrate of around 4900kbps for
120minutes, this will either mean using 2-pass mode in TMPGEnc, or using
Mainconcept MPEG Encoder.

As for the audio, it needs to be a 48,000Hz (48kHz) AC-3 file. I'm assuming
it is stereo, so use 192kbps (I've tried 224kbps before, but it didnt play
properly, but all the discs I've made with 192kbps work). I've already
taken the 192kbps out of the total bitrate to give you the 4900kbps for
video.

Here's a good site for MPEG-2 encoding with TMPGEnc:
http://dvd-hq.info/Compression.html
and it has a calculator for bitrates (remember, you are NTSC format):
http://dvd-hq.info/Calculator.html

I've used both TMPGEnc and Mainconcept. To encode into DVD format with
Mainconcept, a 100 minute movie, it took about 2 hours (mind you I have a
1.2GHz Athlon CPU, which isnt at all new), but with TMPGEnc, it would take
about 13 hours doing 1pass, but since I needed 2 passes, it would've taken
about 24 hours. With Mainconcept, however, I was able to get an average
bitrate established in 1 pass. If I had done 2 passes, it would've looked
better, and taken another 2 hours.

One important note, about the 4:3 or 16:9 flag...It has nothing to do with
what type of TV you have. If you are using tape as a source, it is going to
be a 4:3 image, so you would encode 720x480, with the no letterboxing, and
set a 4:3 flag. If, however, your source was widescreen, you can use either
4:3 or 16:9. If you use the 4:3, then you have to letterbox it (your video
would be in a space of 720x400, with 80px of letterboxing, so that the
output is 720x480, but only 720x400 is moving). There is no letterboxing on
16:9, though, (unless it is a 2.35:1 source, a 1.85:1 has no letterboxing in
16:9 encoding), so a widescreen video is encoded at 720x480 with no
letterboxing. This makes the output look tall and skinny if you play it
back on a PC in early stages (when you encode to MPEG-2, you get a M2V file
which has no audio, you then have to make an AC3 file [software: BeSweet,
see www.doom9.org for guides and software], and use an authoring program [
www.dvdrhelp.com has some guides that are useful] to join the audio, video,
and create a menu, you can then use DVD player software or burn it to a DVD
and then play it back, and the people will look normal). What the DVD
player (or DVD player software) does when it sees that the video is 16:9, is
on a 16:9 setting, it will stretch it horizontally, so what you actually are
displaying is 853x480, a widescreen resolution, and the TV displays that.
On a 4:3 setting, it will squish it vertically into a 720x400 resolution,
and add black borders to letterbox it. Anything that claims to display the
whole image without cropping is really just playing the tall & skinny
people, which is completly stupid (I have a KLH player which offers a
'feature' of AFF -- Active Full Frame or something like that, and it just
makes the people tall and skinny so it fills teh screen without cropping,
but it changes the aspect ratio [ie, 4:3, or 16:9]).

Justin

Mark W wrote on [Sun, 28 Dec 2003 10:38:12 -0000]:

> You could run whatever program you put your posts through that leave out the
> odd letter in words, that might reduce the length a little.

too funny

Richard C.

wrong newsgroup..........

: