Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Copying Software

Copying Software

Peter Arnold

Hi All,

Santa having left me a LG4040B DVD writer I wanted to make copies of some of
my most treasured DVD's - now here is the rub.

Read about what software is best and concluded that DVD X Copy Platinum was
the dogs danglies, however I started to notice some critical comments on
non-commercial sites and became worried. In short does anyone have any non
biased opinions about which software I should buy.

Any assistance greatfully received.

PETER

Brian Gregory [UK]

"Peter Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:V%mHb.427$(E-Mail Removed)...

You should be able to do this just fine with free software such as DVD
Shrink.

Except you may need soething like NERO to avtually work the DVD burner.

--

Brian Gregory (In the UK).

- Robert -

> Except you may need soething like NERO to avtually work the DVD burner.

unless you will use other free tool like ImgTool. It will burn directly
without Nero. You just need ASPI installed.

See at www.dvdrhelp.com.

Rgrds

Rob

Cathy De Viney

AnyDVD + CloneDVD
or
DVDShrink + Nero
or
DVDShrink + ImgToolBurn

www.dvdrhelp.com

"Peter Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:V%mHb.427$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
>
> Santa having left me a LG4040B DVD writer I wanted to make copies of some

of
> my most treasured DVD's - now here is the rub.
>
> Read about what software is best and concluded that DVD X Copy Platinum

was
> the dogs danglies, however I started to notice some critical comments on
> non-commercial sites and became worried. In short does anyone have any

non
> biased opinions about which software I should buy.
>
> Any assistance greatfully received.
>
> PETER

HillBoy

Get DVD Decrypter for the rip & CloneDVD or Nero for the burn. DVD
Decrypter also read/writes ISO image files.

"Peter Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:V%mHb.427$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
>
> Santa having left me a LG4040B DVD writer I wanted to make copies of some

of
> my most treasured DVD's - now here is the rub.
>
> Read about what software is best and concluded that DVD X Copy Platinum

was
> the dogs danglies, however I started to notice some critical comments on
> non-commercial sites and became worried. In short does anyone have any

non
> biased opinions about which software I should buy.
>
> Any assistance greatfully received.
>
> PETER

callsignviper

"Peter Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:V%mHb.427$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
>
> Santa having left me a LG4040B DVD writer I wanted to make copies of some

of
> my most treasured DVD's - now here is the rub.
>
> Read about what software is best and concluded that DVD X Copy Platinum

was
> the dogs danglies, however I started to notice some critical comments on
> non-commercial sites and became worried. In short does anyone have any

non
> biased opinions about which software I should buy.
>
> Any assistance greatfully received.

DVDShrink (FREE!) + Nero (you may already have it!)

You do NOT need DVDDecrypter since DVDShrink both decrypts (removes copy
protection, etc) and shrinks the video to fit on one blank DVD disk.

As someone else mentioned: www.dvdrhelp.com is a great place to start and
has additional links for more info.

You will need to do some READING otherwise your initial results may be
disappointing.

Once you've made a few backups it gets easy using the tools mentioned
earlier.

--
callsignviper

The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions.

Hans Schlager

- Robert - wrote:

>unless you will use other free tool like ImgTool. It will burn directly
>without Nero. You just need ASPI installed.

Nope.

There is ImgTool-Classic, which can _not_ burn. Then there is
ImgTool-Burn which can of course burn, but needs an installed version
of Nero to do so.

Nevertheless you can combine ImgTool-Classic with DVDDecrypter (also
Freeware) to burn your DVD's.

Hans Schlager

Peter Arnold wrote:

>In short does anyone have any non
>biased opinions about which software I should buy.

Look here: http://mrbass.org/dvdshrink

Scroll down a bit until you read 'AutoShrinkISO 1.6'. Here the author
describes how to make backups of Video-DVD's using _only_ Freeware.
It's very easy.

Skid

"Peter Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:V%mHb.427$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
>
> Santa having left me a LG4040B DVD writer I wanted to make copies of some

of
> my most treasured DVD's - now here is the rub.
>
> Read about what software is best and concluded that DVD X Copy Platinum

was
> the dogs danglies,

Unless you want to lick what the dog licks, don't waste your money. That
program is a crippled and bug-riddled piece of tripe. It is marketed at
newbies who hope for one-click simplicity. But it doesn't work as
advertised, and there are freeware apps that do a better job.

>however I started to notice some critical comments on
> non-commercial sites and became worried. In short does anyone have any

non
> biased opinions about which software I should buy.

Yes. Don't buy anything. DVD Shrink 3.0 beta 5 is freeware that will remove
copy protection and region coding, and compress a dual-layer DVD to fit a
single disc. You'll find it, and guides on using it, at www.dvdrhelp.com

You'll still need an app to burn the resulting files. What came with your
drive? If Nero or RecordNow, you're set. If not, you can find freeware tools
at the above site.

Here's one guide on that approach:

http://www.short-media.com/article.php?101.0

hanz

Can it put chapter headings on the dvd??/

Hanz