Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > can you play a region 3 dvd player in north america?

can you play a region 3 dvd player in north america?

Apkesh

Hi,
I bought a region 3 dvd player in asia which can be used with 120V.
Does anyone know if I can hook it up to my North American TV and play
asian DVDs? Thanks, apkesh

Skid

You might try searching for region-free firmware for that make and model.

"Apkesh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
> I bought a region 3 dvd player in asia which can be used with 120V.
> Does anyone know if I can hook it up to my North American TV and play
> asian DVDs? Thanks, apkesh

Jay G

"Apkesh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote ...
> Hi,
> I bought a region 3 dvd player in asia which can be used with 120V.
> Does anyone know if I can hook it up to my North American TV and play
> asian DVDs? Thanks, apkesh

Yes, you can hook it up and play any R3 DVDs you have. However,
your DVD player won't be able to play most North American DVDs,
which are largely R1.

If you want to be able to play both R1 and R3, you might want
to look into making your player all-region, like Skid suggested.

Go here to see if you can "hack" your player and make it all-region:
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks

-Jay

nospam@nospam.com

Yes, but one thing to check. Does the DVD player output as NTSC or PAL? If
PAL, then your TV needs to be able to show PAL and NTSC. Or you can buy a
PAL-NTSC convertor. In the DVD outputs as NTSC, it should be fine.
Although, as the other person said, you won't be able to view US DVDs on it,
because they are region 1.

Apkesh

Thanks guys. I had no idea DVD players too come with PAL/NSTC settings
(I thought it had to do with just VHS).

The player that I have is by Toshiba model name SD1200. Any one know
if this can be changed to play R1 by a technician (or is it easy
enough that anyone can do it)? Thx.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in message news:<xFGHb.24620$J77.14591@fed1read07>...
> Yes, but one thing to check. Does the DVD player output as NTSC or PAL? If
> PAL, then your TV needs to be able to show PAL and NTSC. Or you can buy a
> PAL-NTSC convertor. In the DVD outputs as NTSC, it should be fine.
> Although, as the other person said, you won't be able to view US DVDs on it,
> because they are region 1.

Jay G

"Apkesh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Thanks guys. I had no idea DVD players too come with PAL/NSTC settings
> (I thought it had to do with just VHS).
>
> The player that I have is by Toshiba model name SD1200. Any one know
> if this can be changed to play R1 by a technician (or is it easy
> enough that anyone can do it)? Thx.

Look here:
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks.php...Toshiba+SD1200

-Jay