Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Question for group

Question for group

Sniper .308

I am presently using Netscape 7.2 for browsing, and Pegasus 4.21c for
email. Is there any benefit to switching to Firefox, Thunderbird, or
the Mozilla Suite?

Leonidas Jones

Sniper .308 wrote:
> I am presently using Netscape 7.2 for browsing, and Pegasus 4.21c for
> email. Is there any benefit to switching to Firefox, Thunderbird, or
> the Mozilla Suite?

While I am fond of the suite approach, it probably does not make much
sense unless you are considering using both browser and mail/news. I
have never used Pegasus, so I cannot make any comparisons between it and
the Mozilla Mail applications.

However, I definitely recommend updating the browser. NS7.2 is based on
Mozilla 1.7.2. There have been 10 security related updates since then.
That makes the upgrade worthwhile by itself.

That would leave you looking at Firefox 1.5 or Mozilla 1.7.12. One
advantage to the Mozilla suite is that you can simply continue using
your Netscape profile. Firefox will import much of the data, but it
will not be quite a seamless a transition.

Mozilla suite is not being feature developed anymore, although there is
an independent group that has taken over development under the SeaMonkey
label. Firefox is likely to be more cutting edge though.

To wrap it up, Mozilla 1.7.12 will be more comfortable at first, being
very much like Netscape in look and feel. If you plan to use Mail/News,
the components are tightly integrated.

If you decide on browser only, Firefox is probably the direction in
which to go.

Lee

Adrian

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Sniper .308 wrote:
>> I am presently using Netscape 7.2 for browsing, and Pegasus 4.21c for
>> email. Is there any benefit to switching to Firefox, Thunderbird, or
>> the Mozilla Suite?

> While I am fond of the suite approach, it probably does not make much
> sense unless you are considering using both browser and mail/news. I
> have never used Pegasus, so I cannot make any comparisons between it
> and the Mozilla Mail applications.
>
> However, I definitely recommend updating the browser. NS7.2 is based
> on Mozilla 1.7.2. There have been 10 security related updates since
> then. That makes the upgrade worthwhile by itself.
>
> That would leave you looking at Firefox 1.5 or Mozilla 1.7.12. One
> advantage to the Mozilla suite is that you can simply continue using
> your Netscape profile. Firefox will import much of the data, but it
> will not be quite a seamless a transition.
>
> Mozilla suite is not being feature developed anymore, although there
> is an independent group that has taken over development under the
> SeaMonkey label. Firefox is likely to be more cutting edge though.
>
> To wrap it up, Mozilla 1.7.12 will be more comfortable at first, being
> very much like Netscape in look and feel. If you plan to use
> Mail/News, the components are tightly integrated.
>
> If you decide on browser only, Firefox is probably the direction in
> which to go.
>
> Lee

All I can say is, the suite, now SeaMonkey 1.0 beta is even better than
ever.

--
^y^ Adrian ^y^
"When you can't do experiments, you have philosophers. It's like those guys over in the philosophy department who give the same exam questions every semester but change the answers."

Marek Williams

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 13:18:59 -0800, Sniper .308 <(E-Mail Removed)> dijo:

>I am presently using Netscape 7.2 for browsing, and Pegasus 4.21c for
>email. Is there any benefit to switching to Firefox, Thunderbird, or
>the Mozilla Suite?

I have used Pegasus 3.12c on my Windows 2000 computer for years with
zero issues. Yeah, there are newer versions, but hey! It ain't broke!

But recently I added a Linux laptop to my computer menagerie. I
decided to use Thunderbird on it, and to switch to Thunderbird on my
Windows 2000 computer as well. For some reason I thought it would be
easier to use the same e-mail client on both machines. (Not!)

With Pegasus I always check the server for messages, then choose which
to download and which to delete without downloading. I set up
Thunderbird the same way, except that on the laptop I intended never
to delete messages from the server. I figured I'd do that only on the
Windows computer, thus ensuring that if a message is important enough
to save it will be on the Windows computer. The Linux laptop is just
for reading messages while away from home.

The first thing I noticed is that Thunderbird does not see all the
messages on the server. Every time I'd check with Pegasus and then
with Thunderbird, sure enough there were several messages that Pegasus
saw and Thunderbird was unaware of. The curious thing is that this
happened with Thunderbird on both computers.

Eventually I gave up on Thunderbird and decided to stick with Pegasus
on the Windows computer. On the Linux laptop I now use Evolution,
although I'm still experimenting with other clients. I might switch to
Cronos II, but haven't had time to experiment with it yet.

Anyway, if you decide to try Thunderbird, leave Pegasus around for a
while and check them against each other.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

Leonidas Jones

Adrian wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> Sniper .308 wrote:
>>> I am presently using Netscape 7.2 for browsing, and Pegasus 4.21c for
>>> email. Is there any benefit to switching to Firefox, Thunderbird, or
>>> the Mozilla Suite?

>> While I am fond of the suite approach, it probably does not make much
>> sense unless you are considering using both browser and mail/news. I
>> have never used Pegasus, so I cannot make any comparisons between it
>> and the Mozilla Mail applications.
>>
>> However, I definitely recommend updating the browser. NS7.2 is based
>> on Mozilla 1.7.2. There have been 10 security related updates since
>> then. That makes the upgrade worthwhile by itself.
>>
>> That would leave you looking at Firefox 1.5 or Mozilla 1.7.12. One
>> advantage to the Mozilla suite is that you can simply continue using
>> your Netscape profile. Firefox will import much of the data, but it
>> will not be quite a seamless a transition.
>>
>> Mozilla suite is not being feature developed anymore, although there
>> is an independent group that has taken over development under the
>> SeaMonkey label. Firefox is likely to be more cutting edge though.
>>
>> To wrap it up, Mozilla 1.7.12 will be more comfortable at first, being
>> very much like Netscape in look and feel. If you plan to use
>> Mail/News, the components are tightly integrated.
>>
>> If you decide on browser only, Firefox is probably the direction in
>> which to go.
>>
>> Lee

> All I can say is, the suite, now SeaMonkey 1.0 beta is even better than
> ever.

For me, I certainly agree!

Lee

Sniper .308

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:24:43 -0800, Marek Williams <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

I have been a Pegasus fan for about 10 years give or take.

>With Pegasus I always check the server for messages, then choose which
>to download and which to delete without downloading.

I do the same thing, its a feature I love about Pegasus.

>Anyway, if you decide to try Thunderbird, leave Pegasus around for a
>while and check them against each other.

That is what I am doing. There are some things I like about
Thunderbird, but Pegasus is far more powerful and as you said, it has
almost zero bugs.

wrote:

>With Pegasus I always check the server for messages, then choose which
>to download and which to delete without downloading. I set up
>Thunderbird the same way,

How did you do this?.

Marek Williams

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:57:48 -0800, Sniper .308 <(E-Mail Removed)> dijo:

>On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:24:43 -0800, Marek Williams <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>With Pegasus I always check the server for messages, then choose which
>>to download and which to delete without downloading. I set up
>>Thunderbird the same way,

>How did you do this?.

I have four "world-globe" buttons on my Pegasus toolbar. One has a
blue caret to the left of the globe and is for Send All Queued Mails.
The next one has a red caret to the right of the globe and is for
"Check Your Pop3 Host for Mail." Then there is one with both a red and
a blue caret to the right of the globe, and it is for Both Check and
Send Mail in One Operation. And finally, there is one with a question
mark to the right of the globe and is for Selective Pop3 Mail
Download. This is the one I use. I just select the account I want to
check in the scroll window and click on the globe with the question
mark. Pegasus goes out to the server for that account, downloads just
the headers for all mail it finds on the server, and when it has all
the headers it pops up a window listing them.

With the window listing the headers for all new mail open, I normally
just select all, click to mark them all for deletion without
downloading, and then I select individual ones that I do want to read,
marking these for "both download and delete." When I have selected the
ones I want I click on Make It So. Pegasus then deletes all and
downloads just the ones I have selected.

It's been so long I don't remember how I got those four "world-globe"
buttons on my toolbar, but I dimly remember that I had to set up my
own custom toolbar to have them there. However, just now for sake of
this post, I checked and under the File menu all four choices are
listed. The buttons are just faster.

We now return you to your regular alt.fan.mozilla newsgroup. Please
make followups to comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows.

--

wrote:

>With Pegasus I always check the server for messages, then choose which
>to download and which to delete without downloading. I set up
>Thunderbird the same way,

How did you do this?.

Ummmmm Marek, you seem to have missed the question, or I should have
made myself clearer.... How did you do this with Thunderbird? I
already know all the tricks and hacks for Pegasus (being using it for
10 years remember).

Marek Williams

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 12:11:21 -0800, Sniper .308 <(E-Mail Removed)> dijo:

>On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:24:43 -0800, Marek Williams <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>With Pegasus I always check the server for messages, then choose which
>>to download and which to delete without downloading. I set up
>>Thunderbird the same way,

>How did you do this?.
>
>Ummmmm Marek, you seem to have missed the question, or I should have
>made myself clearer.... How did you do this with Thunderbird? I
>already know all the tricks and hacks for Pegasus (being using it for
>10 years remember).

Sorry, I deleted Thunderbird from my Linux computer a long time ago
after I discovered that it did not see all the messages on the server.
Hence, I cannot go in and see how I did it. I only remember that I did
it. I'm pretty sure I have not misremembered, as it has always been
important to me that my Linux computer only view the messages on the
server, but never delete them. That is because I intend that my
Windows computer be the place where saved messages are archived.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.