Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Cannot enter all 26 characters for WEP-128 key?

Cannot enter all 26 characters for WEP-128 key?

Adam White

I'm having trouble establishing a wireless connection between my
laptop and my wireless access point. The WAP uses 128 bit WEP
encryption. I manually created the passkey on it by specifying 26 hex
characters.

My laptop has Windows XP on it (SP2). When I get into the Wireless
Network Properties windows, and then the Association tab on that
window ... I enter the Network name (SSID), set the authentication
type to Shared, and remove the checkmark by "the key is provided for
me automatically." Then I try to enter my 26 HEX character key (into
the "network key" field) ... but the field will only let me enter 23
characters!!!

When I specify 128 bit WEP encryption on the WAP, it forces me to
enter 26 characters (hex). If Windows XP won't let me enter all 26
characters, then I cannot authenticate!!!

What's up here?

=?Utf-8?B?VGluYSBI?=

I am having the same issue. I have a Belkin router and have enabled the 128
bit key. My computers that have a Belkin wireless card use their program to
connect to my network and have an option for the 128 bit key.

However, on my other computers where windows manages the connection, it only
give me the option of entering in either a 32 or 64 bit hex key. I have
searched but have not been able to find a fix.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,

"Adam White" wrote:

> I'm having trouble establishing a wireless connection between my
> laptop and my wireless access point. The WAP uses 128 bit WEP
> encryption. I manually created the passkey on it by specifying 26 hex
> characters.
>
> My laptop has Windows XP on it (SP2). When I get into the Wireless
> Network Properties windows, and then the Association tab on that
> window ... I enter the Network name (SSID), set the authentication
> type to Shared, and remove the checkmark by "the key is provided for
> me automatically." Then I try to enter my 26 HEX character key (into
> the "network key" field) ... but the field will only let me enter 23
> characters!!!
>
> When I specify 128 bit WEP encryption on the WAP, it forces me to
> enter 26 characters (hex). If Windows XP won't let me enter all 26
> characters, then I cannot authenticate!!!
>
> What's up here?

dmsethi dmsethi is offline
Junior Member

Did you guys ever figure this out? I am having exactly the same issue.