Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > "Coming to a Theater Near You: Digital Films"

"Coming to a Theater Near You: Digital Films"

Tarkus

Coming to a Theater Near You: Digital Films
Wed Dec 24,12:18 PM ET
By Bernhard Warner

LONDON (Reuters) - Grab the popcorn, cinemaphiles. You may be about to
sit through one of the best movie sequels in years: digital cinema.

"The digital image is brighter, sharper, the colors are more crisp and
the image is a bit steadier," says Patrick von Sychowski, an analyst with
Screen Digest, the British-based media research firm.

After years of Hollywood hype, 2004 could truly be a watershed year for
digital cinema. A recent surge in investment by theater chains and
technology companies means the number of digital projectors in cinemas
will more than double to over 400 in the next 12 months, Screen Digest
reports.

Rest of article:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...n_pluggedin_dc
--
"As a producer, and being immature, obviously Porky's and Rock 'n'
Roll High School give me the opportunity to bring more stupidity

Now playing: "Pink Floyd - Master of Ceremonies"

Richard C.

"Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1n7oahpblno07$(E-Mail Removed)9.com...
: Coming to a Theater Near You: Digital Films
: Wed Dec 24,12:18 PM ET
: By Bernhard Warner
:
: LONDON (Reuters) - Grab the popcorn, cinemaphiles. You may be about to
: sit through one of the best movie sequels in years: digital cinema.
:
: "The digital image is brighter, sharper, the colors are more crisp and
: the image is a bit steadier," says Patrick von Sychowski, an analyst with
: Screen Digest, the British-based media research firm.
:
: After years of Hollywood hype, 2004 could truly be a watershed year for
: digital cinema. A recent surge in investment by theater chains and
: technology companies means the number of digital projectors in cinemas
: will more than double to over 400 in the next 12 months, Screen Digest
: reports.
:
: Rest of article:
:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...tc_nm/column_p
luggedin_dc
: --
=============
Digital Cinema is still not ready for prime time................

NOTHING yet can compare to real 35mm and 70mm presentations...................

Mike Davis

"Richard C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fec4996$0$60642$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> "Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1n7oahpblno07$(E-Mail Removed)9.com...
> : Coming to a Theater Near You: Digital Films
> : Wed Dec 24,12:18 PM ET
> : By Bernhard Warner
> :
> : LONDON (Reuters) - Grab the popcorn, cinemaphiles. You may be about to
> : sit through one of the best movie sequels in years: digital cinema.
> :
> : "The digital image is brighter, sharper, the colors are more crisp and
> : the image is a bit steadier," says Patrick von Sychowski, an analyst

with
> : Screen Digest, the British-based media research firm.
> :
> : After years of Hollywood hype, 2004 could truly be a watershed year for
> : digital cinema. A recent surge in investment by theater chains and
> : technology companies means the number of digital projectors in cinemas
> : will more than double to over 400 in the next 12 months, Screen Digest
> : reports.
> :
> : Rest of article:
> :

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...tc_nm/column_p
> luggedin_dc
> : --
> =============
> Digital Cinema is still not ready for prime time................
>
> NOTHING yet can compare to real 35mm and 70mm

presentations...................

Thank you Rich, nice to hear the voice of reason <ggg.>
To be fair, digital cinema sucks. The resolution is maybe one quarter of
a true film source, and were talking 35mm, once you move up to 70mm or even
better IMAX stock all bets are off. Lucas likes it, and I've seen his vision
firsthand... it sucked.
I hope it never happens, but the bleeding edge cinema nearby already has
the projecters, when this goes mainstream I'll simply stop going to movies.
I already have three (count em') three projectors at home, a Sim2, a
Vidikron (from Runco) and an HDTV optimized Boxlight for the bedroom. ****
you George, film still rules.
All the best and happy holidays, Mike

Mark B.

I'm sure it'll be used as an excuse to raise the prices even more.

Mark

"Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1n7oahpblno07$(E-Mail Removed)9.com...
> Coming to a Theater Near You: Digital Films
> Wed Dec 24,12:18 PM ET
> By Bernhard Warner
>
> LONDON (Reuters) - Grab the popcorn, cinemaphiles. You may be about to
> sit through one of the best movie sequels in years: digital cinema.
>
> "The digital image is brighter, sharper, the colors are more crisp and
> the image is a bit steadier," says Patrick von Sychowski, an analyst with
> Screen Digest, the British-based media research firm.
>
> After years of Hollywood hype, 2004 could truly be a watershed year for
> digital cinema. A recent surge in investment by theater chains and
> technology companies means the number of digital projectors in cinemas
> will more than double to over 400 in the next 12 months, Screen Digest
> reports.
>
> Rest of article:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...n_pluggedin_dc
> --
> "As a producer, and being immature, obviously Porky's and Rock 'n'
> Roll High School give me the opportunity to bring more stupidity
> and childishness to a whole new generation."
> - Howard Stern on producing the upcoming remakes of those films
>
> Now playing: "Pink Floyd - Master of Ceremonies"

Ray

> I'm sure it'll be used as an excuse to raise the prices even more.

It should keep the prices the same. Once they go digital, film prints will
not have to be struck and shipped which is a major cost. The movies will be
downloaded and then projected. I'm sure that theaters will claim that they
have to recoup the cost of the new equipment, but who knows??

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 21:07:35 -0500, Mark B. wrote:

> I'm sure it'll be used as an excuse to raise the prices even more.

Though it will be much cheaper to distribute.
--
"All this torturing people gets me HOT!"

Now playing: "Pink Floyd - Master of Ceremonies"

Peter Briggs

Mike Davis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Lucas likes it, and I've seen his vision
> firsthand... it sucked.

With all due respect...I believe you're wrong.

The Odeon Leicester Square (which, I guess, was the source of the
original quoted article) has one of the most sophisticated film/digital
dual systems in the country. I saw "Attack Of The Clones" there, I've
seen all manner of 70mm and 35 mm movies, and I've seen all of the
"straight-from-source" Pixar movies there.

I saw "Toy Story 2" (the first time I'd seen a digitally projected
movie) in its first week in Burbank, on a not-terribly huge multiplex
screen, and was rather unimpressed with the stroby/slightly pixelled
occasionally picture quality. I saw the same movie a while later back
in Britain on the far-larger Odeon, and the difference was
night-and-day.

Every digital showing I've seen at the Odeon has been nothing short of
stellar, with nothing to complain about from me. I saw "Master and
Commander" on film on the same screen several weeks ago...boy. I sure
wish THAT one had been digitally sourced.

TCS

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 06:15:00 GMT, Ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I'm sure it'll be used as an excuse to raise the prices even more.

>It should keep the prices the same. Once they go digital, film prints will
>not have to be struck and shipped which is a major cost. The movies will be
>downloaded and then projected. I'm sure that theaters will claim that they
>have to recoup the cost of the new equipment, but who knows??

they'll charge more initially because they can. as long as people perceive
something worth paying extra for, they will pay.

And until the country has fiber optic cable to the street corner, distribution
will cost the same. Instead of shipping film prints at major cost, digital
tapes will be shipped at major cost or a fractional T3 will have to be
installed at around $2k/month to download more than hour or two of movie per
day. A t1 would take over 90 hours per movie hour.

Monte Castleman

Theater near me uses digital projection. Obviously DLP- the rainbow fringing
annoys the hell out of me.

Monte Castleman, <<Spamfilter in Use>>
Bloomington, MN to email, remove the "q" from my address

Tarkus

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 09:30:25 -0600, TCS wrote:

> And until the country has fiber optic cable to the street corner, distribution
> will cost the same. Instead of shipping film prints at major cost, digital
> tapes will be shipped at major cost or a fractional T3 will have to be
> installed at around $2k/month to download more than hour or two of movie per
> day. A t1 would take over 90 hours per movie hour.

The article mentioned delivery via satellite.

But even if they used the current delivery method, it would still be much
cheaper, because they can create digital copies much cheaper and faster.
--
"Klaatu borada n... necktie... nickel... It's an "N" word, it's
definitely an "N" word!"

Now playing: "Pink Floyd - Master of Ceremonies"