Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HELP! poor DVD playback quality on television

HELP! poor DVD playback quality on television

David Brooks

Hello All!

I am attempting to produce a DVD disc to be played by a PAL dvd player
set-top box which is connected to my Multi-System television. The raw
footage was filmed using Panasonic MiniDV PalmCorder model PV-DC152D
(NTSC). I am using Adobe Premier 6.5 with Adobe MPEG encoder 1.2
(MainConcept) and DVD Architect 1.0d. My editing computer is a Dell
P4-2.8/512MB/Firewire 1394 adapter running WindowsXP sp1.

My problem is that after burning a muxed mpeg-2 stream and attempting
to play back the DVD disc on my television using my LG set-top dvd
player - most of the scenes, especially those with moderate camera
movements, are shown pixilated.

Please note the following:

1. The mpeg file produced by Adobe MPEG encoder plays back perfectly
on my computer when using InterVideo's WinDVD 5 player.

2. The raw footage playback perfectly when connecting my camera
directly to the TV

3. The mpeg file plays back perfectly when previewing in "DVD
Architect" ("Best" quality mode) however, switching to "High"
produces downgraded quality that is similar to what happens on my TV.

4. I have encoded the AVI stream numerous times using different bit
rates with no success in improving the video quality.

Here the last settings that I used:

Video settings:
video stream type: DVD
frame size: 720 x 576
frame rate: 25.000
aspect ratio: 4:3 Display
bitrate: variable, avg 8.32, max 8.32

Audio settings (PCM):
frequency: 48.0 kHz

Multiplexer settings:
program stream type: DVD
bitrate: variable, 10.08 Mbps maximum
max file size: off

DVD Architect is configured to "Override default bitrate: 9.800 Mbps"

I thank anyone in advance for advice on how to overcome this VERY
frustrating issue.

Sincerely,

David

p.s

Please CC me with your response.

Impmon

"David Brooks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
[snip]
> Multiplexer settings:
> program stream type: DVD
> bitrate: variable, 10.08 Mbps maximum
> max file size: off
>
> DVD Architect is configured to "Override default bitrate: 9.800 Mbps"

Maybe the bitrate is too high? Most commercial DVD are like 5-6 Mbit per
sec.