Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Your picks : Worst & Best 2003 films & reason why

Your picks : Worst & Best 2003 films & reason why

Ken

What are your picks of the WORST 1 - 5 and BEST 1 - 5 2003 cinema only
release films you saw at cinema or on DVD and please give your
reason/s why, for any picks.

If anything had a 2003 cinema release and you saw it for first time on
DVD, that's fine.

SBFan2000

Of the in theater movies I saw I would pick Terminator 3 as my favorite. As
the worst I would pick Matrix Revolutions. That movie left so much to be
desired and left to many questions! Not the mention the big irritation that
the whole point was to free humanity from the machines and that really never
happened. I know I'll catch hell for picking it as my worst, but hey thats
my opinion!

As for the movies I saw on DVD! I would pick Terminator 3 as the best.
(Perhaps my favorite movie ever) As for worst, I really don't know because
I don't rent movies, I buy all my movies and obviously I only buy what I
like. Have not rented a movie for almost a decade.

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> What are your picks of the WORST 1 - 5 and BEST 1 - 5 2003 cinema only
> release films you saw at cinema or on DVD and please give your
> reason/s why, for any picks.
>
> If anything had a 2003 cinema release and you saw it for first time on
> DVD, that's fine.

Louis

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> What are your picks of the WORST 1 - 5 and BEST 1 - 5 2003 cinema only
> release films you saw at cinema or on DVD and please give your
> reason/s why, for any picks.
>
> If anything had a 2003 cinema release and you saw it for first time on
> DVD, that's fine.

Best Films, 2003

1. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
2. Lost in Translation
3. Captain & Commander
4. Kill Bill, part 1
5. Dirty Pretty Things
6. The Last Samurai

As for worst: I avoid crap. The two Matrix films I hoped would appear on my
best list. However, they were crap and extremely disappointing.

Stan Jensen

I guess I only watch films I'm pretty sure are good enough for my money. So
I don't go to the theater much. But this year is....

1. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - The final chapter of the
trilogy.
2. Finding Nemo - Because it's Pixar!!!
3. Kill Bill Vol 1 - One word: Tarentino.
4. Terminator 3 - Ahhnold. Okay, maybe not. How about Kristanna Lokken.
5. Bruce Almighty - I'm a Carrey fan

jgb

BEST:

1. Dogville
2. Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King
3. Kill Bill, Vol. 1
4. Elephant
5. Lost In Translation

As for the worst, I can't really make a Top5, but I can say that both Matrix
outputs were awfull and "The Human Stain" was very disappointing...

Just my two cents...

-Bruno G.

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> What are your picks of the WORST 1 - 5 and BEST 1 - 5 2003 cinema only
> release films you saw at cinema or on DVD and please give your
> reason/s why, for any picks.
>
> If anything had a 2003 cinema release and you saw it for first time on
> DVD, that's fine.

jgb

Ups.. forgot to say the reasons. So here they go:

1. Dogville: for being one of the most original movies I have ever seen, for
the beauty of the dialogue, for the magnificent interpretations and for the
great courage of Mr. Von Trier for making something like this
2. Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King: for being the conclusion of
one of the greatest epic tales ever told in the movies, for the magnitude of
the visuals... Now, if this doesn't win Best Movie and Best Director Academy
Awards, I'll never see the Oscar again!
3. Kill Bill, Vol.1: one of the most stylistic movies I've ever seen. Yes,
Tarantino shows lots of influences and doesn't try to hide them. But hey!
Everyone else just copies their influences! Tarantino manipulates them into
something personal and new. Plus, this movie has one of the coolest
soundtracks ever, and Uma is great: just look at how much that woman can say
with her eyes!
4. Elephant: risky adventure by Van Sant, but it was worth it. A unique
approach to this subject. Very touching, very strong, very though. But, all
in all, a beautiful masterpiece!
5. Lost In Translation: do I really have to say anything here? At least we
know there is one Coppola who still knows how to pull it off!

As for the WORST movies, all I can say is that both Matrix outputs left a
lot to be desired, specially if you compare them to the first movie. Ir
promissed so much, and gave so little. I'm starting to wonder if those
brothers are really geniuses, or if they just had some luck with they first
movies....
"The Human Stain", albeit not an awfull movie, was hugely disappointing.
Such a story, such a brilliant cast, such a waste of cellulloid... This
could have been one of the greates movies of the year, certainly a strong
Academy Award contender, but it was just not up to the expectations...
Hopkins was great, yes, but... why didn't they just stick with the main plot
of the racism, and forget all that sub-plot romantic nonsense??

"jgb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:newscache$erreqh$zz5$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> BEST:
>
> 1. Dogville
> 2. Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King
> 3. Kill Bill, Vol. 1
> 4. Elephant
> 5. Lost In Translation
>
> As for the worst, I can't really make a Top5, but I can say that both

Matrix
> outputs were awfull and "The Human Stain" was very disappointing...
>
> Just my two cents...
>
> -Bruno G.
>

> "Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > What are your picks of the WORST 1 - 5 and BEST 1 - 5 2003 cinema only
> > release films you saw at cinema or on DVD and please give your
> > reason/s why, for any picks.
> >
> > If anything had a 2003 cinema release and you saw it for first time on
> > DVD, that's fine.

Louis

"Louis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NpbGb.11196$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...

> "Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > What are your picks of the WORST 1 - 5 and BEST 1 - 5 2003 cinema only
> > release films you saw at cinema or on DVD and please give your
> > reason/s why, for any picks.
> >
> > If anything had a 2003 cinema release and you saw it for first time on
> > DVD, that's fine.

> Best Films, 2003
>
> 1. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
> 2. Lost in Translation
> 3. Captain & Commander
> 4. Kill Bill, part 1
> 5. Dirty Pretty Things
> 6. The Last Samurai

Forgot one of the best: Whale Rider (move to #2).

> As for worst: I avoid crap. The two Matrix films I hoped would appear on

my
> best list. However, they were crap and extremely disappointing.

jpeabody

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ken) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> What are your picks of the WORST 1 - 5 and BEST 1 - 5 2003 cinema only
> release films you saw at cinema or on DVD and please give your
> reason/s why, for any picks.
>
> If anything had a 2003 cinema release and you saw it for first time on
> DVD, that's fine.

I only saw about a dozen 2003 films in the theater this year, not
enough for top 5 good and bad. So the films I most liked were:

1) Kill Bill. The constant homages, flashy style and humor swept me
along through the rivers of blood. Can't wait for v2.
2) LOTR: ROTK. This might have been #1, but for the third LOTR film
in a row I was stuck way up front and off to the side. I'll have to
3) Lost In Translation. The tone reminded me of Rushmore for some
reason. Not completely satisfying, but it was designed that way.

Honorable mentions: X2, the funniest parts of Old School, parts of
Matrix Reloaded (the freeway chase, the Architect scene, Monica
Bellucci's body), and the Eugene Levy/Catherine O'Hara reunion in A
Mighty Wind.

On the downside, I'd agree that Matrix Revolutions was a huge
disappointment. It felt like they just wanted to get it over already.
By the time it turned into a big Robotech movie, I felt the same way.
Hulk was also a disappointment that could've been saved I think by
just moving the Monument Valley chase scene to the beginning, then
flashing back. It took too long to get to the Hulk throwing tanks
around.

Mark Spatny

Ken,(E-Mail Removed) says...

I can't really write a 5 best list, because there are a LOT of year-end
movies I haven't seen yet that are supposed to be great (Return of the
King, for example). I have a lot of catching up to do this holiday
season. But I will say I enjoyed Last Samurai.

I will gladly give my WORST list:

Matrix Revolutions
Matrix Reloaded
The Hulk
The Core

Note to studios: Stop making effects films with cardboard cut-out
characters people won't care about, pointless stories, and horrible
dialog. Thanks.

Lord Vader III

Louis wrote:

> "Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > What are your picks of the WORST 1 - 5 and BEST 1 - 5 2003 cinema only
> > release films you saw at cinema or on DVD and please give your
> > reason/s why, for any picks.
> >
> > If anything had a 2003 cinema release and you saw it for first time on
> > DVD, that's fine.

> Best Films, 2003
>
> 1. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
> 2. Lost in Translation
> 3. Captain & Commander

You would think that for a film that made #3 on your list, you would at
least know the correct name of it (Master & Commander).

LVIII