Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Seinfeld cast boycotts DVD

Reply
Thread Tools

Seinfeld cast boycotts DVD

 
 
Justin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2003
JWB wrote on [Wed, 24 Dec 2003 01:42:11 GMT]:
> "Phaelsa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > > I would have done it for free, in their place. I think it's

> ungrateful,
>> > > considering that they're all millionaires thanks to that show.
>> >
>> > So, going by that logic, anybody who already earned a pile of money

> doing
>> > something shouldn't be paid again? Maybe big movie stars should work for
>> > free from now on (hey, they already made millions thanks to the movie
>> > business). Sports stars too.

>>
>> This is a silly debate if people are going to pick sides since BOTH sides

> are
>> greedy and wrong in this case. Santa and/or Jesus would not side with

> either
>> side in this case.
>>
>> This is as about as silly as arguing between republicans and democrats,

> again
>> BOTH are wrong.

>
> Yea, I agree, but I don't understand the people who think it's fine for
> others to work for little to no money, just because they (seemingly) have a
> lot of money already. Yea, to *us*, the "other three" have a lot of money.
> I'll bet by Hollywood standards they don't.


And compared to what Jerry will get from the deal it's pittance
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
JWB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2003
"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
> JWB wrote on [Wed, 24 Dec 2003 01:42:11 GMT]:
> > "Phaelsa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> > > I would have done it for free, in their place. I think it's

> > ungrateful,
> >> > > considering that they're all millionaires thanks to that show.
> >> >
> >> > So, going by that logic, anybody who already earned a pile of money

> > doing
> >> > something shouldn't be paid again? Maybe big movie stars should work

for
> >> > free from now on (hey, they already made millions thanks to the movie
> >> > business). Sports stars too.
> >>
> >> This is a silly debate if people are going to pick sides since BOTH

sides
> > are
> >> greedy and wrong in this case. Santa and/or Jesus would not side

with
> > either
> >> side in this case.
> >>
> >> This is as about as silly as arguing between republicans and democrats,

> > again
> >> BOTH are wrong.

> >
> > Yea, I agree, but I don't understand the people who think it's fine for
> > others to work for little to no money, just because they (seemingly)

have a
> > lot of money already. Yea, to *us*, the "other three" have a lot of

money.
> > I'll bet by Hollywood standards they don't.

>
> And compared to what Jerry will get from the deal it's pittance


It surprised me to read in the article that started this thread that the
other three get only 100k a year from syndication. The show is probably on
multiple times a day all over the country, and they get 100k. That's really
a **** deal. They were not bit players - the 4 of them were prettymuch
equals. Yea, Jerry created it, and deserves the most, but the other three
really could have gotten better deals while they were making it. Especially
since if two of them got together and held out, they could have killed the
show.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Nonymous
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2003

"Derek Janssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fe8b6b8$0$4764$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mike McGee wrote:
>
> > It looks like money will make Michael Richards, Jason Alexander and
> > Julia Louis-Dreyfus from contributing to the upcoming Seinfeld DVDs.

>
> ...Well, SOMEBODY had to do the Arnold Schwarzenegger greed act to set
> the rule bar for the TV series-sets.
>
> So, with that act of selfishness out of the way, we should see more
> stars of other series agreeing to participate on principle.


Why should any star agree to participate for free? The reason for the
commentaries or whatnot is a marketing ploy... the execs or whomever think
that the stars' commentary would make the DVDs more marketable and will sell
more DVDs. Why should the stars put money into the execs pockets but not
their own?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Brockhurst Pertwee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2003
In the old days of DVD, people did commentaries for free - there was no
budget whatsoever for these things. Then it changed, and now it is
totally ridiculous. These people a) were paid hugely for doing the
show, b) make huge money in reruns, c) will make residuals based on the
sales of the DVD. The "company" issuing the DVD is PUTTING UP THE
****ING MONEY to put it out - they are paying for the rights, they are
providing features, they are doing the packaging and they are taking the
risks. The stupidity of these actors is only matched by the stupidity
of most people who post without any knowledge of how these things work.

Having been involved in putting together a retrospective documentary and
commentary tracks for a film I was involved in I can only tell you that
the actors who came back came back graciously, for free, because they
love the film and because they knew they'd have fun doing it. The
company that issued the disc has made scads of money, much more than I
have obviously, but then they put it out, paid for the transfer, paid
for the documentary, and paid for the packaging and manufacturing. The
actors receive residuals from SAG based on sales.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Grand Inquisitor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2003
JWB wrote:
>>I would have done it for free, in their place. I think it's ungrateful,
>>considering that they're all millionaires thanks to that show.

>
>
>
> So, going by that logic, anybody who already earned a pile of money doing
> something shouldn't be paid again? Maybe big movie stars should work for
> free from now on (hey, they already made millions thanks to the movie
> business). Sports stars too.
>


I'm saying that I would be grateful that the show had made me a
millionaire, I'd feel obligated to celebrate it by appearing in the
special features. And I'm not saying I'd hold it against them to be
paid a fee, but demanding a percentage, essentially taking themselves
out of the special features, hurts the product in the long run.

> why is everyone expects rich people to work for free? Sorry, if I were them,
> I'd demand a piece of the sales too. They *know* Jerry and Larry will make
> millions off of the DVD. Why should they do just as much work for WAY less?
>
>


They sit down in front of a camera for a few hours, to talk about the
show that gave them their wealth in the first place. It's just crass.

--
"Get rid of the Range Rover. You are not responsible for patrolling
Australia's Dingo Barrier Fence, nor do you work the Savannah, capturing
and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=Oost

 
Reply With Quote
 
Grand Inquisitor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2003
JWB wrote:
> Yea, I agree, but I don't understand the people who think it's fine for
> others to work for little to no money, just because they (seemingly) have a
> lot of money already. Yea, to *us*, the "other three" have a lot of money.
> I'll bet by Hollywood standards they don't.
>
>


I'm not making that argument.

--
"Get rid of the Range Rover. You are not responsible for patrolling
Australia's Dingo Barrier Fence, nor do you work the Savannah, capturing
and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=Oost

 
Reply With Quote
 
Grand Inquisitor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2003
JWB wrote:
> It surprised me to read in the article that started this thread that the
> other three get only 100k a year from syndication. The show is probably on
> multiple times a day all over the country, and they get 100k. That's really
> a **** deal. They were not bit players - the 4 of them were prettymuch
> equals. Yea, Jerry created it, and deserves the most, but the other three
> really could have gotten better deals while they were making it. Especially
> since if two of them got together and held out, they could have killed the
> show.
>
>


That's the icing on the cake, they're all multi-millionaires from when
the show was filming.

--
"Get rid of the Range Rover. You are not responsible for patrolling
Australia's Dingo Barrier Fence, nor do you work the Savannah, capturing
and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=Oost

 
Reply With Quote
 
Rich Clark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2003

"Grand Inquisitor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0_8Gb.10591$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm saying that I would be grateful that the show had made me a
> millionaire, I'd feel obligated to celebrate it by appearing in the
> special features. And I'm not saying I'd hold it against them to be
> paid a fee, but demanding a percentage, essentially taking themselves
> out of the special features, hurts the product in the long run.


Yet the people who are asking you to do it are going to make another ton of
money, which will be multiplied because of the work you're doing for scale.
If you're saying you wouldn't care, wouldn't resent that, then you're
considerably more altruistic than I think most people are.

> They sit down in front of a camera for a few hours, to talk about the
> show that gave them their wealth in the first place. It's just crass.


If everyone else involved in producing the DVDs were working for scale,
maybe so. But they're not, and that's the rub.

RichC


 
Reply With Quote
 
JWB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2003
"Grand Inquisitor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u09Gb.10593$(E-Mail Removed)...
> JWB wrote:
> > It surprised me to read in the article that started this thread that the
> > other three get only 100k a year from syndication. The show is probably

on
> > multiple times a day all over the country, and they get 100k. That's

really
> > a **** deal. They were not bit players - the 4 of them were prettymuch
> > equals. Yea, Jerry created it, and deserves the most, but the other

three
> > really could have gotten better deals while they were making it.

Especially
> > since if two of them got together and held out, they could have killed

the
> > show.
> >
> >

>
> That's the icing on the cake, they're all multi-millionaires from when
> the show was filming.


But that doesn't matter. It still doesn't mean they work for free (or a
reduced price). Your argument seems to be based on the fact they are rich.

You're saying they should be thankful. Did you ever stop to think maybe they
are as thankful for the show as you are to your job? Who cares how much
money they made in the past - they *still* deserve to get paid fairly for
the syndication, and get paid fairly if they contribute to the DVD. They do
not feel they are getting paid fairly (and judging by the paltry 100k,
compared to the millions Jerry gets for the same syndication rights, I think
they have a right to say "no, not unless you show us the green".)


 
Reply With Quote
 
yachtboy!
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2003
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:03:50 -0500, "WJM"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"yachtboy!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:22:12 GMT, Mike McGee
>> <admin@_removenospam_thedigitalreview.com> wrote:
>>
>> >It looks like money will make Michael Richards, Jason Alexander and
>> >Julia Louis-Dreyfus from contributing to the upcoming Seinfeld DVDs.
>> >
>> >
>> >"The New York Times reported Tuesday that Michael Richards (who played
>> >Kramer), Jason Alexander (who played George) and Julia Louis-Dreyfus
>> >(who played Elaine), declined to give on-camera interviews for the DVD
>> >set or otherwise participate in the project because they are not being
>> >offered a share of the sales, only a recording fee.
>> >
>> >"They all said, 'Why should we make other people richer,'" said a
>> >representative of one of the actors to the Times."
>> >
>> >
>> >Here's the full article link:
>> >http://www.thedigitalreview.com/foru...=&threadid=523

>>
>> I wish I could make $100,000 just talking about a job I used to
>> have.....
>> ==========

>
>Hmmm...but who would want to listen to stories about BJs you've given?
>
>


Now that would be worth quite a bit more ...

==========
"Being diabetic is alot like having an un-invited
guest at a picnic, who keeps pointing out the potato
salad may have gone bad."--W.B. Willis

"Destiny has a strange sense of humor..." K. Honeycutt
----------
http://www.geocities.com/swl_yb400pe
http://www.geocities.com/swl_yb400pe/psychedelic.htm
http://www.geocities.com/swl_yb400pe/slinkypage.html

"He not busy being born is busy dying..." B. Dylan


=======================
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DVD Verdict reviews: SEINFELD: SEASON FIVE, SEINFELD: SEASON SIX, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 02-15-2006 10:04 AM
Seinfeld dvd? JWB DVD Video 3 11-25-2004 10:18 AM
Seinfeld, First 3 Seasons on DVD, Nov. 23! Mike McGee DVD Video 15 09-11-2004 02:19 PM
seinfeld on dvd NOMAD205 DVD Video 3 07-12-2004 03:56 AM
Will Seinfeld ever come to DVD Angry Gamer DVD Video 27 02-02-2004 01:38 PM



Advertisments