Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Old Console TV Question

Old Console TV Question

Treetop

I realize that this is a DVD movie group, however I have a DVD and VCR
hooked up to this TV, primarily used for my 3 yr old to watch HIS
movies on. Barney will NEVER be on my good TV, lol.

I have an old 25 ish inch console TV in my basement. I used to have
it in a corner at an angle, and it worked fine. Now it is flat
against the wall, and it will start to fade after about 45 min to an
hour. The picture will go dark, then back again for a couple of
minutes, then dark........ just fading in and out.

If I turn it off for 10 to 20 min or so it will work again for another
hour. My best guess is that it is over heating, if that is possible.
Would drilling more vent holes in the particle board back cover help?
I am married, so the logical thing to put everything back to when it
did work is not an option (any ladies care to explain as I am baffled
why she won't let me?)

This TV was my old fraternity's old television for the 4 years I was
there. I want to keep it working as it has quite a few memories (many
are fuzzy for some reason...), as well as bragging rights when I hook
up with some of the old frat guys.

Eric R.

"Treetop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> I have an old 25 ish inch console TV in my basement. I used to have
> it in a corner at an angle, and it worked fine. Now it is flat
> against the wall, and it will start to fade after about 45 min to an
> hour. The picture will go dark, then back again for a couple of
> minutes, then dark........ just fading in and out.

That's Macrovision. You can't run a DVD player through a VCR. If you
only have a coaxial input (a cable hookup) on your TV then you have to
buy an RF modulator (available at Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc.) to hook
the DVD player directly up to the TV. If you try to run it through a
VCR, you'll get the dark/bright/dark/bright pattern you see on the TV.

RF modulators usually run about $20-$30. Here is an example:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat08063

Good luck.

-Eric

Bur

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Eric R.) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> "Treetop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> > I have an old 25 ish inch console TV in my basement. I used to have
> > it in a corner at an angle, and it worked fine. Now it is flat
> > against the wall, and it will start to fade after about 45 min to an
> > hour. The picture will go dark, then back again for a couple of
> > minutes, then dark........ just fading in and out.

> That's Macrovision. You can't run a DVD player through a VCR. If you
> only have a coaxial input (a cable hookup) on your TV then you have to
> buy an RF modulator (available at Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc.) to hook
> the DVD player directly up to the TV. If you try to run it through a
> VCR, you'll get the dark/bright/dark/bright pattern you see on the TV.
>
> RF modulators usually run about $20-$30. Here is an example:
>
> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat08063
>
> Good luck.
>
> -Eric

Eric, you are right about Macrovision but the problems caused by
Macrovision won't be affected by turning the TV off then on again.
Does the problem also occur on broadcast TV? If so, heat may be a
problem. As far as Macrovision, I was able to turn it off on my DVD
player by loading a special CD-R with a flash update. That's the best
way. Otherwise the $20-30 Eric mentioned could better be used towards
an inexpensive TV. I have seen new 19" TVs for well under $100
recently. Good luck.

Treetop

"Bur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Eric R.) wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> > "Treetop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> > > I have an old 25 ish inch console TV in my basement. I used to

have
> > > it in a corner at an angle, and it worked fine. Now it is flat
> > > against the wall, and it will start to fade after about 45 min

to an
> > > hour. The picture will go dark, then back again for a couple of
> > > minutes, then dark........ just fading in and out.

> > That's Macrovision. You can't run a DVD player through a VCR. If

you
> > only have a coaxial input (a cable hookup) on your TV then you

have to
> > buy an RF modulator (available at Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc.) to

hook
> > the DVD player directly up to the TV. If you try to run it through

> > VCR, you'll get the dark/bright/dark/bright pattern you see on the

TV.

> > RF modulators usually run about $20-$30. Here is an example:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat08063

> > Good luck.
> >
> > -Eric

> Eric, you are right about Macrovision but the problems caused by
> Macrovision won't be affected by turning the TV off then on again.
> Does the problem also occur on broadcast TV? If so, heat may be a
> problem. As far as Macrovision, I was able to turn it off on my DVD
> player by loading a special CD-R with a flash update. That's the

best
> way. Otherwise the $20-30 Eric mentioned could better be used

towards
> an inexpensive TV. I have seen new 19" TVs for well under $100
> recently. Good luck.

The problem occurs whether it is broadcast TV, VCR or DVD. It never
had the problem until we moved the unit. Like I mentioned earlier, my
wife does not want it moved back as she likes it in the room this way.
Would drilling more vent holes in the particle board back cover help?
Possibly even holes in the wood on the sides?