Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Schindler's list DVD-18 - will the movie be split on two sides?

Schindler's list DVD-18 - will the movie be split on two sides?

Joseph S. Powell, III

Just learned from thedigitalbits that there will be two versions of
Schindler's list - one is a DVD-18 for around $26.00, the other is a 2-disc
version with a book and cell for $79.98.
Does anyone know if the DVD-18 version will have the full movie on one side
and the extras on the other, or if we'd have to flip the disc in the middle
of the movie?
I think I speak for us all when I say, I don't want to flip (the movie -
flipping for extras is..sort of ok).
Just look at what happened to Sal Bompensairo when he flipped!

Scot Gardner

"Joseph S. Powell, III" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<<Schindler's list DVD-18 - will the movie be split on two sides?>>

"DVD-18 in an acronym that means a two-sided DVD disc with two layers of
data on both sides of the disc -- in other terms, it is a two-sided disc
that holds a DVD-9 disc on both sides of it."

The movie is 3 & 1/2 hours long and it will have 4 soundtracks:

ENGLISH Dolby Digital 5.1 [CC]
ENGLISH: DTS 5.1 [CC]
SPANISH: Dolby Digital 5.1
FRENCH: Dolby Digital 5.1

All of this material will take up a lot of space. The only conclusion
that I can come to is that the movie will be spread over 3 layers (and
maybe part of the 4th) and the supplemental features will be placed on
the 4th layer.

You will probably play 2/3 of the movie on one side and then turn the
disk over to play the rest.

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/dvd-18.cfm

Rogers News

"Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:20031222215212.494$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Joseph S. Powell, III" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> <<Schindler's list DVD-18 - will the movie be split on two sides?>>
>
> "DVD-18 in an acronym that means a two-sided DVD disc with two layers of
> data on both sides of the disc -- in other terms, it is a two-sided disc
> that holds a DVD-9 disc on both sides of it."
>
> The movie is 3 & 1/2 hours long and it will have 4 soundtracks:
>
> ENGLISH Dolby Digital 5.1 [CC]
> ENGLISH: DTS 5.1 [CC]
> SPANISH: Dolby Digital 5.1
> FRENCH: Dolby Digital 5.1
>
> All of this material will take up a lot of space. The only conclusion
> that I can come to is that the movie will be spread over 3 layers (and
> maybe part of the 4th) and the supplemental features will be placed on
> the 4th layer.
>
> You will probably play 2/3 of the movie on one side and then turn the
> disk over to play the rest.
>
> http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/dvd-18.cfm

It will also be colorized...joking! HOpefully, clips of Spielberg's Shoah
will be included

CLOSEDOWN8

The limited "2-disc" set features the soundtrack CD as disc 2. The first disc
will be the same DVD-18 available in the "standard" set. And yes, it will most
certainly be a "flipper". I don't necessarily think that a flipper is the best
way when they could just as easily do it on two discs but with four
soundtracks, one of them a DTS track, it is essential that the film not be
crammed onto one disc or disc side. Getting up off your ass once in a 3 hour
period is a small price to pay to avoid horrible compression.
--------------------------------
"That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi

Anonymous Joe

"CLOSEDOWN8" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The limited "2-disc" set features the soundtrack CD as disc 2. The first

disc
> will be the same DVD-18 available in the "standard" set. And yes, it will

most
> certainly be a "flipper". I don't necessarily think that a flipper is the

best
> way when they could just as easily do it on two discs but with four
> soundtracks, one of them a DTS track, it is essential that the film not be
> crammed onto one disc or disc side. Getting up off your ass once in a 3

hour
> period is a small price to pay to avoid horrible compression.
> --------------------------------
> "That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi

Given the length of the film, 200 minutes, and the 3 DD5.1 + DTS track, that
all totals up to be 4.11GB if the DDs are 448Kbps, just for the audio!
Imagine trying to release video with only 4.64GB to fit a 200 min film into?
I've got that worked out to be about 3240kbps for the video. Since it has
DTS, the maximum bitrate is somewhere around 8250kbps for video. The
3240kbps isnt enough, if they put the last 1/3rd on the other side, use 1
layer, then they can have 4860kbps with max of 8250. That's not too bad,
but if they put the DD tracks at 384kbps, then they can have 5045kbps, not
too much different.... That is of course, if they use exactly 3 layers for
the movie, you'd have to add in probably a few hundred MB for the menu, and
then what remains is what's left for the extras....perhaps 4.5GB (if you
like to call recordables 4.7GB instead of the real 4.38GB)....

Joseph S. Powell, III

That being the case, it would make more sense to spread the film itself over
two discs - that way at least those of us with DVD changers won't have to
get up (I don't care how many people call me lazy - I still maintain that
the majority of DVD viewers do NOT want to get up and flip the disc -
although the quality of this disc will be undoubtedly superior to the LD,
I'll still have to get up to flip it, which isn't too different than
changing LD's as SL is a 2-disc LD set...).
People with 1-disc players are going to have to get up anyway, why
inconvenience those of us with changers as well?