Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > MGM - another P&S irritation

MGM - another P&S irritation

Waterperson77

and personally, I think that a windowboxed picture looks better aesthetically
than a letterboxed picture does.

so there.

Jake Patterson

Waterperson77 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>A 1.66:1 movie is not wide enough to encode as anamorphic. A widescreen
>>tv is 1.78:1. Thus you would have to have black bars at the sides (left
>>and right). On a 4:3 tv that would give you black bars on all sides!
>>

> so what? On wideescreen HDTV sets, Enterprise was shown with black bars on
> all four sides every week.

> And the analog 4:3 viewers only had bars on two sides.

> while widescreen HDTV owners had bars on all four sides of the very same
> show.

And furthermore, in this case, most 4:3 TV's will not show any black bars on
the side due to overscan. In fact, a 4:3 TV will crop off picture from the
sides of a non-anamorphic 1.66:1 movie. I only noticed how significant the
cropping can be after I was able to compare the output of my laptop DVD
player to my TV. After adjusting the service menu settings I was able to
minimize, but not totally eliminate, the loss of picture on all four sides.

two column irritation aljones HTML 21 04-04-2007 03:38 AM
OT: Thursday Irritation CBIC MCSE 6 09-29-2006 06:55 PM
Irritation larry Computer Support 1 09-09-2005 07:14 PM
Minor irritation: Can't delete the IE Links folder edgy Computer Support 4 10-29-2004 11:07 AM
debugger restarted stops in javascript, minor irritation foldface@yahoo.co.uk ASP .Net 0 06-11-2004 02:26 PM

Advertisments