Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Laptop(Centrino) unable to find router

Laptop(Centrino) unable to find router

Padone

My Laptop with centrino chip unable to find my home router or 4 other
routers known to be in my neighborhood. Another laptop in the same room
can find all the routers including my own.
I am told that it could be a problem with my Centrino chip. I am able to
connect on a LAN. Any other suggestions. Help.

NoNoBadDog!

"Padone" <pderidder@no.$pam.adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) lkaboutsoftware.com...
> My Laptop with centrino chip unable to find my home router or 4 other
> routers known to be in my neighborhood. Another laptop in the same room
> can find all the routers including my own.
> I am told that it could be a problem with my Centrino chip. I am able to
> connect on a LAN. Any other suggestions. Help.

First, there is no such thing as a Centrino "chip". To be certified as a
Centrino laptop, a computer must have an Intel motherboard, an Intel
processor, an Intel chipset and an Intel Proset wireless card. Centrino is
a marketing ploy to get OEMS to buy more Intel products.
Second, what happens when you turn your computer on...does it even detect
the networks?

Bobby

=?Utf-8?B?TmltbWVO?=

I have the exact same problem as Padone.

What happens NoNoBadDog, when I turn the laptop on, is that Windows pops up
with a message saying that there is not a connection. I then search for
Wireless connections around me and even though I know that there is several,
the laptop does not find any.
Know what I can do to get it working?

"NoNoBadDog!" wrote:

> "Padone" <pderidder@no.$pam.adelphia.net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) lkaboutsoftware.com...
> > My Laptop with centrino chip unable to find my home router or 4 other
> > routers known to be in my neighborhood. Another laptop in the same room
> > can find all the routers including my own.
> > I am told that it could be a problem with my Centrino chip. I am able to
> > connect on a LAN. Any other suggestions. Help.
> >

> First, there is no such thing as a Centrino "chip". To be certified as a
> Centrino laptop, a computer must have an Intel motherboard, an Intel
> processor, an Intel chipset and an Intel Proset wireless card. Centrino is
> a marketing ploy to get OEMS to buy more Intel products.
> Second, what happens when you turn your computer on...does it even detect
> the networks?
>
> Bobby

Lem

NimmeN wrote:
> I have the exact same problem as Padone.
>
> What happens NoNoBadDog, when I turn the laptop on, is that Windows pops up
> with a message saying that there is not a connection. I then search for
> Wireless connections around me and even though I know that there is several,
> the laptop does not find any.
> Know what I can do to get it working?
>
> "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
>

>>"Padone" <pderidder@no.$pam.adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>news:195ab7b508e62cd97882d67c30e8935e@localhost. talkaboutsoftware.com...
>>
>>>My Laptop with centrino chip unable to find my home router or 4 other
>>>routers known to be in my neighborhood. Another laptop in the same room
>>>can find all the routers including my own.
>>>I am told that it could be a problem with my Centrino chip. I am able to
>>>connect on a LAN. Any other suggestions. Help.
>>>

>>First, there is no such thing as a Centrino "chip". To be certified as a
>>Centrino laptop, a computer must have an Intel motherboard, an Intel
>>processor, an Intel chipset and an Intel Proset wireless card. Centrino is
>>a marketing ploy to get OEMS to buy more Intel products.
>>Second, what happens when you turn your computer on...does it even detect
>>the networks?
>>
>>Bobby

Make sure your wireless radio is on. Some brands of laptops have an
inconspicuous on/off switch for the radio (NOT the same as the laptop
on/off switch). Other brands may control the radio on/off via the
properties of the wireless NIC.

=?Utf-8?B?TmltbWVO?=

Thanks for the answer within a few hours.

As you were saying, then my computer has a turn on/off switch, and yes I am
aware of that, and yes I know that is not the problem because it is marked as
being 'on'. I do not know what the INC stands for, or what its purpose is.
Can you give me an explanation on this?

Thanks again, merry christmas.

"Lem" wrote:

> NimmeN wrote:
> > I have the exact same problem as Padone.
> >
> > What happens NoNoBadDog, when I turn the laptop on, is that Windows pops up
> > with a message saying that there is not a connection. I then search for
> > Wireless connections around me and even though I know that there is several,
> > the laptop does not find any.
> > Know what I can do to get it working?
> >
> > "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
> >

> >>"Padone" <pderidder@no.$pam.adelphia.net> wrote in message
> >>news:195ab7b508e62cd97882d67c30e8935e@localhost. talkaboutsoftware.com...

> >>First, there is no such thing as a Centrino "chip". To be certified as a
> >>Centrino laptop, a computer must have an Intel motherboard, an Intel
> >>processor, an Intel chipset and an Intel Proset wireless card. Centrino is
> >>a marketing ploy to get OEMS to buy more Intel products.
> >>Second, what happens when you turn your computer on...does it even detect
> >>the networks?
> >>
> >>Bobby
> >>

> Make sure your wireless radio is on. Some brands of laptops have an
> inconspicuous on/off switch for the radio (NOT the same as the laptop
> on/off switch). Other brands may control the radio on/off via the
> properties of the wireless NIC.

Padone

Bobby, it does not recoqnize any of the networks. I have a blank window
and cannot find known networks as seen on another laptop in same room.
This laptop finds myexisting home and network and the other neighborhood
networks.

My broken computers sees none, therefore wondered what could be the
problem with my computer.

User42

Start-Control Panel-Internet Options - click on Connections Tab - put check
mark on NEVER dial a connection - click OK

"Padone" <pderidder@no.$pam.> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) lkaboutsoftware.com...
> Bobby, it does not recoqnize any of the networks. I have a blank window
> and cannot find known networks as seen on another laptop in same room.
> This laptop finds myexisting home and network and the other neighborhood
> networks.
>
> My broken computers sees none, therefore wondered what could be the
> problem with my computer.

Christian

Is the radio turned on?