Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Lord of the what ? Never heard of it.

Lord of the what ? Never heard of it.

Peter

When you were getting hyped about Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the
rings, were you as shocked as I, about how many people didn't know what
it was ?

I have to admit, I didn't read the books until about 2 years before the
movie, but it was one of those series that was always on my "have to
read sometime" list. I had known about them since I was in grade 5 or 6
(back in 1985).

However I was reading Return of the king on the bus, coming home from
school once, and this guy next to me struck up a conversation. He had
never heard of Lord of the Rings, and it wasn't like he was from another
country, that, maybe, never heard of it. He asked things like what was
the writting style like, was it in anyway like Anne Rice (ick). What it
was about etc.
When i told him it was written in the 50's and pretty much gave birth to
the entire modern fantasy Genre, he was a little surprised.

My wife had heard of the Hobbit, but didn't really know about Lord of
the Rings. My parents, and her Dad had never heard of it at all...

A guy in my class at school thought it was "Lord of the Kings" and
didn't really understand why the rest of us were freaking out over the
fellowship's teaser trailer.

Maybe I took it for granted, I thought it was something everyone at
least knew of, if they had read it. Like A tale of Two Cities, or
Oliver, or The TIme Machine, or 20,000 Leagues under the sea.

Any similar experiences ?

--
Please help stop Forced Trailers on DVD's
Please sign the Petition at

Grand Inquisitor

Peter wrote:
> Maybe I took it for granted, I thought it was something everyone at
> least knew of, if they had read it. Like A tale of Two Cities, or
> Oliver, or The TIme Machine, or 20,000 Leagues under the sea.
>
> Any similar experiences ?

Believe it or not, Sean Astin said he'd never heard of the novel until
he was offered the part. He read it, accepted it, and hired a dialog coach.

I was aware of people who had never read it, but I am still shocked that
somebody could be unaware of its existence.

and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor

--o--

really understand why the rest of us were freaking out over the
> fellowship's teaser trailer.
>
> Maybe I took it for granted, I thought it was something everyone at
> least knew of, if they had read it. Like A tale of Two Cities, or
> Oliver, or The TIme Machine, or 20,000 Leagues under the sea.
>
> Any similar experiences ?

I'd never heard of LOTR until the Bakshi cartoon version

Stan Brown

In article <8B4Fb.27231$(E-Mail Removed)> in
alt.video.dvd, Grand Inquisitor wrote:
>I was aware of people who had never read it,

Peter Jackson seems only to have skimmed it.

(ducks and runs for the exit)

http://OakRoadSystems.com

Justin

Stan Brown wrote on [Sun, 21 Dec 2003 00:03:15 -0500]:
> In article <8B4Fb.27231$(E-Mail Removed)> in
> alt.video.dvd, Grand Inquisitor wrote:
>>I was aware of people who had never read it,

> Peter Jackson seems only to have skimmed it.
>
> (ducks and runs for the exit)

Noooo. He read it, but it had whole sections that were translated funny
into the Kiwi

Giovanni

"--o--" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:3fe5055e$0$1753$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> really understand why the rest of us were freaking out over the
> > fellowship's teaser trailer.
> >
> > Maybe I took it for granted, I thought it was something everyone at
> > least knew of, if they had read it. Like A tale of Two Cities, or
> > Oliver, or The TIme Machine, or 20,000 Leagues under the sea.
> >
> > Any similar experiences ?

> I'd never heard of LOTR until the Bakshi cartoon version

I read it a couple of times by then but was very disappointed that the
movie stopped somewhere in the middle. I waited for a second movie but
it never materialized (this was way before internet). I quite liked the
Bakshi, not that it can compete with Jackson's of course. Bought the
Bakshi DVD last year, still have to watch it, I'll dig it up now.

--o--

> > really understand why the rest of us were freaking out over the
> > > fellowship's teaser trailer.
> > >
> > > Maybe I took it for granted, I thought it was something everyone at
> > > least knew of, if they had read it. Like A tale of Two Cities, or
> > > Oliver, or The TIme Machine, or 20,000 Leagues under the sea.
> > >
> > > Any similar experiences ?

> > I'd never heard of LOTR until the Bakshi cartoon version

> I read it a couple of times by then but was very disappointed that the
> movie stopped somewhere in the middle. I waited for a second movie but
> it never materialized (this was way before internet). I quite liked the
> Bakshi, not that it can compete with Jackson's of course. Bought the
> Bakshi DVD last year, still have to watch it, I'll dig it up now.

i had always thought that there was no sequel (s) either - until
someone pointed out that 'Return of the King' was it !

Never released here in Australia of course :
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0079802/

Nonymous

I've have never read any of the books.

I remember in highschool a group of others that were all in to it, some of
them carrying around and trading beat up paperbacks of whatever book they
were currently reading (or re-reading).

I remember in freshman college meeting a guy who was totally, TOTALLY into
the whole Middle Earth thing. He used to take class notes in Elvish! You'd
flip through his spiral notebooks and they were just page after page of
weird words and runes and whatnot! Totally bizarre. He was actually pretty
'normal', too... didn't have the 'nerdiness' that many associate with the
fans.

I had seen "The Hobbit" cartoon a couple times in the past. I also played
D&D some in highschool. So going into the movies, I knew some basics as what
the heck a Hobbit and Orc was, who Bilbo, Gandalf, & Gollum were, "my
precious", etc. So seeing the LOTR:Felloship movie's whole first act with
Bilbo and Gandalf was familiar to me. I also already knew such concepts as
Mt. Doom, Mordor, etc. I also already knew about Elves being immortal and
not short like Santa's Elves, etc. (I had to explain the immortality thing
to my parents because they didn't quite grasp that from the movie and when I
told them they were like "Ohhhh,... *now* we understand the whole
Arwen/Aragorn thing.").

Something I remember *learning* in the movies was what the "Balrog" was... I
remember the Balrog being mentioned in a Led Zeppelin song but didn't know
what it really alluded to until the first movie.

Grand Inquisitor

Stan Brown wrote:

> In article <8B4Fb.27231$(E-Mail Removed)> in
> alt.video.dvd, Grand Inquisitor wrote:
>
>>I was aware of people who had never read it,

> Peter Jackson seems only to have skimmed it.
>
> (ducks and runs for the exit)

Actually Peter Jackson is an expert on all of Tolkien's books, and
probably knows more about them than you or anybody else here does.

and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor

Peter

Stan Brown wrote:
> In article <8B4Fb.27231$(E-Mail Removed)> in
> alt.video.dvd, Grand Inquisitor wrote:
>
>>I was aware of people who had never read it,

> Peter Jackson seems only to have skimmed it.
>
> (ducks and runs for the exit)

I don't think "Rings" fans would be happy unless scene for scene, and
word for word were brought
from the book to the movie, making each movie 8 hrs long.

Some editing HAS to happen. Accept it, enjoy it for what it is. It's not
an exact translation of book to screen.