Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Fullscreen will have to change it's name soon

Fullscreen will have to change it's name soon

Mark B.

"C. Montgomery Burns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:td0Fb.12314$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> Yes, with all the widescreen televisions being made and sold, the "Full
> screen" DVD versions will no longer fill the screen and hence they will no
> longer be considered full screen. They will have black bars on the SIDES
> of the widescreen TVs when played on one.
>
> And soon the widescreen DVDs will truly be the Fullscreen versions.
>
> What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
> Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?

What's wrong with using "4:3" as has been suggested.

Mark

Mark Spatny

C. Montgomery Burns,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
> Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?

Legacy Presentation"

DarkMatter

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:39:53 GMT, "C. Montgomery Burns"
<(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>Thank you for your prompt response, Mr. RichC, however you have failed to
>answer the original question posed. What will "Fullscreen" be called in a
>few years? Just a picture just won't cut it. We need a name for the
>format.

"NTSC Cropped"

DarkMatter

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:44:31 GMT, "C. Montgomery Burns"
<(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>Stan Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) t:
>
>> In article <td0Fb.12314$(E-Mail Removed) .net>
>> in alt.video.dvd, C. Montgomery Burns wrote:
>>>Yes, with all the widescreen televisions being made and sold, the "Full
>>>screen" DVD versions ... will have black bars on the SIDES
>>>of the widescreen TVs when played on one.
>>>
>>>What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
>>>Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?

>> "Standard", of course.
>>
>> (ducks and runs for exit)
>>

>Thank you for your response, Mr. Brown. However "Standard" seems to me to
>be a bit ambiguous as to its meaning. For some, "Widescreen" is the
>standard.

That was his point. We finally get to call the right thing
"Standard"

Richard C.

I vote for that...........

======
"Jim Fraas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: How about "****ed up" ?
:
: --
: There's only one hope left for the Star Trek movie franchise.
: It is a letter located between P and R in the alphabet.
: "C. Montgomery Burns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:dA1Fb.12642$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
: > "Rich Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
: > news:(E-Mail Removed):
: >
: > >
: > > "C. Montgomery Burns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: > > news:td0Fb.12314$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
: > >> What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
: > >> Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?
: > >

DarkMatter

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 01:27:03 GMT, Mark Spatny
<(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>C. Montgomery Burns,(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
>> Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?

>Legacy Presentation"

Legacy my ass. Lamancy maybe. Decades of it.

"NTSC Cropped"

Period.

C. Montgomery Burns

"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "C. Montgomery Burns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
>> Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?

> What's wrong with using "4:3" as has been suggested.
>
> Mark

Thank you Mark. That is not a bad suggestion, however, 4:3 doesn't mean a
damn thing to the hillbillies that will be purchasing these DVDs en masse,
and we need a name that those lower primates will understand whilst
searching for movies.. and lice. Maybe we could suggest something that
would register amongst the apes who purchase the Wal-Mart versions of
movies, in "Fullscreen" format.

God pity their souls.

C.M. Burns

C. Montgomery Burns

"C. Montgomery Burns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:td0Fb.12314$(E-Mail Removed) link.net:

> Yes, with all the widescreen televisions being made and sold, the
> "Full screen" DVD versions will no longer fill the screen and hence
> they will no longer be considered full screen. They will have black
> bars on the SIDES of the widescreen TVs when played on one.
>
> And soon the widescreen DVDs will truly be the Fullscreen versions.
>
> What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
> Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?

Oh and by the way, I do realize it is "Fullscreen will have to change its
name soon" for all the Grammar Nazis, of which I am a proud member. No
apostrophe in "its". Thank you.

Smithers, release the hounds.

fRED

> "fRED" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Thank you for your response, Mr. Brown. However "Standard" seems to me

> > > be a bit ambiguous as to its meaning. For some, "Widescreen" is the
> > > standard.

> > When you say the "STANDARD broadcast band" you are talking about AM

> radio.
> >
> > FM never replaced it, nor will XM. The big bucks and highest rated

> shows
> > are on AM.
> >
> > Learn from history, it tends to repeat itself.

> I haven't listened to anything on AM in quite a few years.
> There is no reason why I would want to.

What does that have to do with anything? I could say I haven't driven a car
in 20 years and there is no reason why I would want to, does that prove some
sort of a point about cars and their popularity?

You couldn't dispute my statements, felt you had say something, and came up
with what you did. Now everyone here has learned a lot about you.

Brian \Demolition Man\ Little

From on top of The Wall I yelled "YOU! YES YOU C. Montgomery Burns
<(E-Mail Removed)>! Stand still laddie. Oh, and which one is Pink?"

Personally I prefer the term "The ****ed Version."

--
Brian "Demolition Man" Little
A reminder to the world....