Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Fullscreen will have to change it's name soon

Fullscreen will have to change it's name soon

Richard C.

Beware of alt.radio.pirate followups in header

Jim Fraas

How about "****ed up" ?

--
There's only one hope left for the Star Trek movie franchise.
It is a letter located between P and R in the alphabet.
"C. Montgomery Burns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dA1Fb.12642$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> "Rich Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

> > "C. Montgomery Burns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:td0Fb.12314$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> >> What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
> >> Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?

> > Why can't they just put a picture on the box, showing a 16:9 rectangle
> > with a representation inside it of how the image on the disc is
> > formatted?
> >
> > RichC

> Thank you for your prompt response, Mr. RichC, however you have failed to
> answer the original question posed. What will "Fullscreen" be called in a
> few years? Just a picture just won't cut it. We need a name for the
> format.
>
> C.M. Burns
>

> Release the hounds, Smithers.

MarkZimmerman

>Thank you for your prompt response, Mr. RichC, however you have failed to
>answer the original question posed. What will "Fullscreen" be called in a
>few years? Just a picture just won't cut it. We need a name for the
>format.
>
>C.M. Burns

Personally, I perfer the "Zimmerman Presentation"! <grin>
Best,

Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

fRED

> Thank you for your response, Mr. Brown. However "Standard" seems to me to
> be a bit ambiguous as to its meaning. For some, "Widescreen" is the
> standard.

When you say the "STANDARD broadcast band" you are talking about AM radio.

FM never replaced it, nor will XM. The big bucks and highest rated shows
are on AM.

Learn from history, it tends to repeat itself.

3W

"fRED" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I love
> pointing that out to the salesman loudly so all the customers can hear,

then
> they all look at the expensive widescreen set with the widescreen DVD

playing
> and say: "Hey yeah! Why are there still black bars? Guess there is no
> reason to buy one of those sets then, we already get that now on our

regular
> sets!" And then they all go away laughing and the salesman gets ****ed

and
> turns off the widescreen set and turns on a regular set and plays a

fullscreen
> DVD.

Now that's really funny.

Ollie T

""Wal-Mart" version"

I actually get many of my widescreen DVD's from Wal-Mart now that they price
their new releases similar to BestBuy's. The Wal-Mart over here also has a
suprising amount of 16:9 HDTV's for sale.

HDTV games lists and discussions
http://www.hdtvarcade.com

"Ken W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ac2Fb.376$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "C. Montgomery Burns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:td0Fb.12314$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> > Yes, with all the widescreen televisions being made and sold, the "Full
> > screen" DVD versions will no longer fill the screen and hence they will

no
> > longer be considered full screen. They will have black bars on the

SIDES
> > of the widescreen TVs when played on one.
> >
> > And soon the widescreen DVDs will truly be the Fullscreen versions.
> >
> > What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
> > Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?

> "Wal-Mart" version or "Hillbilly" version

ky

I vote: "Narrowscreen"

Stan Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)> ...
> In article <td0Fb.12314$(E-Mail Removed) .net>
> in alt.video.dvd, C. Montgomery Burns wrote:
> >Yes, with all the widescreen televisions being made and sold, the "Full
> >screen" DVD versions ... will have black bars on the SIDES
> >of the widescreen TVs when played on one.
> >
> >What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
> >Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?

> "Standard", of course.
>
> (ducks and runs for exit)

Mark Jones

"fRED" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thank you for your response, Mr. Brown. However "Standard" seems to me

> > be a bit ambiguous as to its meaning. For some, "Widescreen" is the
> > standard.

> When you say the "STANDARD broadcast band" you are talking about AM

radio.

> FM never replaced it, nor will XM. The big bucks and highest rated

shows
> are on AM.
>
> Learn from history, it tends to repeat itself.

I haven't listened to anything on AM in quite a few years.
There is no reason why I would want to.

Mark Jones

"fRED" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Keep in mind that most widescreen movies don't fill the screen of

widescreen
> TVs, there are STILL black bars. Go to a store and check. I love
> pointing that out to the salesman loudly so all the customers can hear,

then
> they all look at the expensive widescreen set with the widescreen DVD

playing
> and say: "Hey yeah! Why are there still black bars? Guess there is no
> reason to buy one of those sets then, we already get that now on our

regular
> sets!" And then they all go away laughing and the salesman gets ****ed

and
> turns off the widescreen set and turns on a regular set and plays a

fullscreen
> DVD.

The salesman smiled when I paid the money for my HDTV.
Black bars on a 16:9 TV are not a problem. I want to see movies
presented as close as possible to the theater experience. This
means that original aspect ratio is what I want to see.

You must encounter some real dimwits in the stores you go to
if they do not have any idea that there are several different
ratios used in the making of movies.

fRED

No **** Sherlock! Whenever a salesman smiles, someone just got screwed!

> Black bars on a 16:9 TV are not a problem.

Then they should not be a problem on a 3:4 tv either, why spend thousands more
for the same thing? See why the salesman was smiling now? Doh!

> You must encounter some real dimwits in the stores you go to
> if they do not have any idea that there are several different
> ratios used in the making of movies.

Hey, MOST people think Saddam had weapons of mass destruction and dozens of
body doubles! They aren't going to notice that widescreen TVs have the same
black bars on them and think getting one will finally rid them of those dreaded
bars.

Turns out that Plasma screens get burn-in real bad, when there is no video on
those black bars and bright video on the rest of the picture for hours on
end. I had to laugh extra loud when I heard about that. But can you
feel sorry for people that get duped by salespeople? Of course not.