Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > OT: LOTR books

OT: LOTR books

Mark W

You know how publishers will often bring out 'the book of the film'
otherwise called a Novelisation?

I wonder if New Line will publish a book of the film version of LOTR?

Mark B.

"Mark W" <s@o> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You know how publishers will often bring out 'the book of the film'
> otherwise called a Novelisation?
>
> I wonder if New Line will publish a book of the film version of LOTR?

I don't believe I've ever seen a novelization of a movie already based on a
book - how stupid is that? They'll publish new versions of the books with
movie scenes on the covers, which has already been done.

Mark

Rich Clark

"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> I don't believe I've ever seen a novelization of a movie already based on

> book - how stupid is that? They'll publish new versions of the books with
> movie scenes on the covers, which has already been done.

"Planet of the Apes." See
http://dir.salon.com/books/feature/2...pes/index.html

RichC

Justin

Mark B. wrote on [Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:17:34 -0500]:
> "Mark W" <s@o> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You know how publishers will often bring out 'the book of the film'
>> otherwise called a Novelisation?
>>
>> I wonder if New Line will publish a book of the film version of LOTR?
>>

> I don't believe I've ever seen a novelization of a movie already based on a
> book - how stupid is that? They'll publish new versions of the books with
> movie scenes on the covers, which has already been done.

There was a Street Fighter The Movie video game adaption

Joshua Zyber

"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I don't believe I've ever seen a novelization of a movie already based

on a
> book - how stupid is that? They'll publish new versions of the books

with
> movie scenes on the covers, which has already been done.

It does happen, if the movie is very loosely based on its source. I seem
to remember a Total Recall novelization written by Piers Anthony, for
example.

I wouldn't think this would apply to Lord of the Rings, of course.

Michael Black

"Mark W" <s@o> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> You know how publishers will often bring out 'the book of the film'
> otherwise called a Novelisation?
>
> I wonder if New Line will publish a book of the film version of LOTR?

I was in a bookstore a few weeks ago, and out of the corner of
my eye noticed a new edition of "The Cat in the Hat". Instead
of drawings, it's got stills from the film. I didn't bother to
see what the text was like, but I suspect it's from the movie,
rather than the text from the real book.

I thought it was rather amusing, and sad.

Michael

Tallulah Blanket

Joshua Zyber wrote:
> "Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I don't believe I've ever seen a novelization of a movie already based

> on a
>
>>book - how stupid is that? They'll publish new versions of the books

> with
>
>>movie scenes on the covers, which has already been done.

> It does happen, if the movie is very loosely based on its source. I seem
> to remember a Total Recall novelization written by Piers Anthony, for
> example.
>
> I wouldn't think this would apply to Lord of the Rings, of course.

Given New Line can't even get the rights for The Hobbit, what do you
think the chances are that Christopher Tolkien will grant them the
rights to some hack to pen a novelisation? Particularly when CT won't
even acknowledge the films' existence.

Mischa van Dinter

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 03:06:31 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I don't believe I've ever seen a novelization of a movie already based

>on a
>> book - how stupid is that? They'll publish new versions of the books

>with
>> movie scenes on the covers, which has already been done.

>It does happen, if the movie is very loosely based on its source. I seem
>to remember a Total Recall novelization written by Piers Anthony, for
>example.

I also think there is a novellization of Platoon when Platoon was
already based on a novel.

Mischa

Mark B.

"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Mark W" <s@o> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You know how publishers will often bring out 'the book of the film'
> > otherwise called a Novelisation?
> >
> > I wonder if New Line will publish a book of the film version of LOTR?
> >

> I don't believe I've ever seen a novelization of a movie already based on

> book - how stupid is that? They'll publish new versions of the books with
> movie scenes on the covers, which has already been done.
>
> Mark

OK, looks like it does happen, though it seems with novels that weren't
widely known to begin with.

Mark

Larry Gold

all the 007 films have been turned into books

--
Larry.gold
Arsenal For Life

LOTR Jim Scott Computer Support 4 12-29-2004 12:29 PM
Books, Books, Books... C++ 3 09-19-2004 10:11 PM
LOTR:FOTR Extended Cut on Starz David E. Bath DVD Video 6 07-16-2003 02:14 PM
LOTR - The Two Towers (On DVD) John R. Baker Computer Support 0 07-13-2003 08:41 AM

Advertisments