Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Escape From NY SE - Single Layer Discs

Escape From NY SE - Single Layer Discs

Gram

The new "Escape from NY" 2 disc SE contains 2 single layer discs. The
movie itself being about 99 minutes, and the extras on disc 2 being
about 40 minutes total, I'm wondering why this wasn't placed on one
dual layer DVD.

Seems like MGM may be trying to give the consumer the impression that
they're getting more by putting it on 2 discs, when it could have
easily fit on one.

Despite that, it's a great movie and supplements on the SE are
enjoyable.

Zimmy

2 single layer discs? Really?
Sounds like MGM wants to dual inventory a vanilla version like Anchor Bay.

"Gram" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> The new "Escape from NY" 2 disc SE contains 2 single layer discs. The
> movie itself being about 99 minutes, and the extras on disc 2 being
> about 40 minutes total, I'm wondering why this wasn't placed on one
> dual layer DVD.
>
> Seems like MGM may be trying to give the consumer the impression that
> they're getting more by putting it on 2 discs, when it could have
> easily fit on one.
>
> Despite that, it's a great movie and supplements on the SE are
> enjoyable.

Eric R.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Gram) wrote in message

> The new "Escape from NY" 2 disc SE contains 2 single layer discs. The
> movie itself being about 99 minutes, and the extras on disc 2 being
> about 40 minutes total, I'm wondering why this wasn't placed on one
> dual layer DVD.

Maybe MGM wants to make it easier for people to copy. Those folks at
MGM are so nice.

-Eric

Zimmy

It would be much easier to copy. But I think the original poster doesn't
know how to tell a single layer from a dual layer. Everyone online is
saying they are 2 DVD9s.

"Eric R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Gram) wrote in message
>
> > The new "Escape from NY" 2 disc SE contains 2 single layer discs. The
> > movie itself being about 99 minutes, and the extras on disc 2 being
> > about 40 minutes total, I'm wondering why this wasn't placed on one
> > dual layer DVD.

> Maybe MGM wants to make it easier for people to copy. Those folks at
> MGM are so nice.
>
> -Eric

Mike Davis

"Zimmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:brvc8u$7k2d5$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> It would be much easier to copy. But I think the original poster doesn't
> know how to tell a single layer from a dual layer. Everyone online is
> saying they are 2 DVD9s.
>
> "Eric R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > (E-Mail Removed) (Gram) wrote in message
> >
> > > The new "Escape from NY" 2 disc SE contains 2 single layer discs. The
> > > movie itself being about 99 minutes, and the extras on disc 2 being
> > > about 40 minutes total, I'm wondering why this wasn't placed on one
> > > dual layer DVD.

> > Maybe MGM wants to make it easier for people to copy. Those folks at
> > MGM are so nice.
> >
> > -Eric

Eric,
It seems the folks at MGM really are being nice. The info at Widescreen
Review seems to indicate two DVD-5 discs. Cool. As much as I dislike WSR for
the advocacy of of the D-VHS HD tape format they usually do at least get the
disc specs right in the DVD previews <ggg.>
All the best, Mike

Zimmy

It seems the folks at MGM really are being nice. The info at Widescreen
> Review seems to indicate two DVD-5 discs. Cool. As much as I dislike WSR

for
> the advocacy of of the D-VHS HD tape format they usually do at least get

the
> disc specs right in the DVD previews <ggg.>
> All the best, Mike

According to their website, they say DVD9. I'll have to check the print
edition.

(Studio/Distributor):
MGM Home Entertainment

(Catalog Number):
1005690

(MPAA Rating):

(Rating Reason):
NA

(Retail Price):
$29.98

(DVD Type):
Single Side, Dual Layer (DVD9)

(Widescreen Edition):
Yes

(Full Screen Edition):
No

(Anamorphic Widescreen):
Yes

(Running Time In Minutes):
99

(Color Type):
Color

(Chaptered/Scene Access):
Yes

(Closed Captioned):
Yes

(Regional Coding):
1

(Year):
1981

(Theatrical Release):
Yes

(Direct-To-Video Release):
No

(DVD Release Date):
12/16/03

(THX Digitally Mastered):
No

John Howells

"Zimmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> It would be much easier to copy. But I think the original poster doesn't
> know how to tell a single layer from a dual layer. Everyone online is
> saying they are 2 DVD9s.

It just goes to show that it is not always wise to believe what "everyone"
says, as the OP is most certainly correct in reporting that Escape From New
York is two single layer disks. Perhaps "everyone" is just assuming that
because there are two disks they must be two layer, but clearly "everyone"
has not checked the facts!

John Howells

Gram

"Zimmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<brvc8u$7k2d5$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...
> It would be much easier to copy. But I think the original poster doesn't
> know how to tell a single layer from a dual layer. Everyone online is
> saying they are 2 DVD9s.

I do know how to tell single from dual layer. I've read reviews
claiming they are dual layer, but when watching the movie, I didn't
detect any layer change. I then put the discs in the computer to
verify with software, and it does say they are both single layer
discs. If someone does think they are dual layer, please tell me
where you think the layer change occurs during the movie.

Check this review at Digital Bits:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...efromnyse.html

You'll notice that he claims it is dual layer, but can't identify the
layer change.

mazinz

well either way, this the opriginal post then needs the answer of why would mgm
waste 2 dvds when they could have dual-layered the film

Richard C.

"mazinz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: well either way, this the opriginal post then needs the answer of why would mgm
: waste 2 dvds when they could have dual-layered the film

Why not?