Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > MI-5 Widescreen?

MI-5 Widescreen?

Rob559

Anyone know if the MI-5 Box set will be anamorphic widescreen?

Rob

Derek Balling

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rob559
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anyone know if the MI-5 Box set will be anamorphic widescreen?

It seems to me the Spooks(R2) box set is, and the only thing that
should be different is the opening credits, so I don't see why it
wouldn't be.

Joshua Zyber

"Derek Balling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:181220032034454794%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Anyone know if the MI-5 Box set will be anamorphic widescreen?

> It seems to me the Spooks(R2) box set is, and the only thing that
> should be different is the opening credits, so I don't see why it
> wouldn't be.

It *potentially* might not be, because the US broadcasts on BBC America
have been cropped, and BBC America is distributing the DVDs.

However, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the DVDs will be
widescreen just like R2. Don't have a source for that, unfortunately.

Tallulah Blanket

Rob559 wrote:

> Anyone know if the MI-5 Box set will be anamorphic widescreen?
>
> Rob

Given they dumbed the name doubt, probably not.

Derek Balling

In article <EuuEb.553$(E-Mail Removed) t>, Joshua
Zyber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Derek Balling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:181220032034454794%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Anyone know if the MI-5 Box set will be anamorphic widescreen?

> > It seems to me the Spooks(R2) box set is, and the only thing that
> > should be different is the opening credits, so I don't see why it
> > wouldn't be.

> It *potentially* might not be, because the US broadcasts on BBC America
> have been cropped, and BBC America is distributing the DVDs.

Yeah, but the US Broadcasts of Coupling and Monarch of the Glen were
both cropped, but the DVDs were blissfully widescreen. BBC America
seems to "get it" in that they'll show fullscreen on TV since that's
still what the majority of folks have, but since they've got HD masters
sitting on the other side of the pond, that's what they use for the
DVDs.

cheers,

jayembee

"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It *potentially* might not be, because the US broadcasts
> on BBC America have been cropped, and BBC America is
> distributing the DVDs.

Except that it was A&E that aired the show here, not BBCA
(unless BBCA had aired it prior to A&E acquiring it).

-- jayembee

Joshua Zyber

"jayembee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > It *potentially* might not be, because the US broadcasts
> > on BBC America have been cropped, and BBC America is
> > distributing the DVDs.

> Except that it was A&E that aired the show here, not BBCA
> (unless BBCA had aired it prior to A&E acquiring it).

Hmmmm... Dammit, I have too many cable channels! I can't tell them apart
anymore!

KazamaSmokers

Tallulah Blanket <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<77zEb.58166$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Rob559 wrote:
>
> > Anyone know if the MI-5 Box set will be anamorphic widescreen?
> >
> > Rob

> Given they dumbed the name doubt, probably not.

I wouldn't call the name change a dumbing down... it was unfortunately necessary.

Derek Balling

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
KazamaSmokers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Given they dumbed the name doubt, probably not.

> I wouldn't call the name change a dumbing down... it was unfortunately necessary.

and why exactly was it 'necessary' again? I seem to have missed that.

ZC TGS

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 18:43:18 -0500, Derek Balling <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
>KazamaSmokers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > Given they dumbed the name doubt, probably not.

>> I wouldn't call the name change a dumbing down... it was unfortunately necessary.

>and why exactly was it 'necessary' again? I seem to have missed that.

I did read somewhere that in the US the word 'Spooks' as a racial slur
to it.