Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > SSID Broadcast, WZC

SSID Broadcast, WZC

John O

I've got a Linksys WRT54G v5 wireless router connected to one desktop, and a
WMP54G v4 NIC on another. Both running Win XP SP-2. The wired connection is
perfect, and the wireless with and without WEP works fine.

However, when I disable SSID broadcasts, I can't get the NIC to see the
router. First, the Linksys Wireless Network Monitor v4.0 will only let me at
the Profiles link *once.* The link to the Profiles tab won't work again
unless I uninstall/reinstall...this program seems to be broken. Trying to do
the config through Windows directly (is this WZC??) doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

Part 2: Do I need the Linksys Net Monitor at all?
Is it possible I've broken the XP config thing by using them both? I'd like
to know more about this Linksys/WZC issue if someone has a link.

--I've read all the stuff about SSID/WEP and their lack of value in
security, but I'm building a training program where I need to explore them
regardless of these issues.

-John O

Dave

to use wzc the ssid broadcast must be on. there is no reason to turn it
off, its just a false sense of added security.

"John O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:W2Yqf.38737$q%(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I've got a Linksys WRT54G v5 wireless router connected to one desktop, and
> a WMP54G v4 NIC on another. Both running Win XP SP-2. The wired connection
> is perfect, and the wireless with and without WEP works fine.
>
> However, when I disable SSID broadcasts, I can't get the NIC to see the
> router. First, the Linksys Wireless Network Monitor v4.0 will only let me
> at the Profiles link *once.* The link to the Profiles tab won't work again
> unless I uninstall/reinstall...this program seems to be broken. Trying to
> do the config through Windows directly (is this WZC??) doesn't work
> either.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Part 2: Do I need the Linksys Net Monitor at all?
> Is it possible I've broken the XP config thing by using them both? I'd
> like to know more about this Linksys/WZC issue if someone has a link.
>

> --I've read all the stuff about SSID/WEP and their lack of value in
> security, but I'm building a training program where I need to explore them
> regardless of these issues.
>
> -John O

Pavel A.

The wzc of xp sp2 can handle hidden SSIDs nicely.
May be the problem arises because you use both WZC
and Linksys utility. What if you uninstall it?
Do you have latest drivers for the NIC?
--PA

"John O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:W2Yqf.38737$q%(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I've got a Linksys WRT54G v5 wireless router connected to one desktop, and a WMP54G v4 NIC on another. Both running Win XP
> SP-2. The wired connection is perfect, and the wireless with and without WEP works fine.
>
> However, when I disable SSID broadcasts, I can't get the NIC to see the router. First, the Linksys Wireless Network Monitor
> v4.0 will only let me at the Profiles link *once.* The link to the Profiles tab won't work again unless I
> uninstall/reinstall...this program seems to be broken. Trying to do the config through Windows directly (is this WZC??)
> doesn't work either.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Part 2: Do I need the Linksys Net Monitor at all?
> Is it possible I've broken the XP config thing by using them both? I'd like to know more about this Linksys/WZC issue if
> someone has a link.
>

> --I've read all the stuff about SSID/WEP and their lack of value in security, but I'm building a training program where I need
> to explore them regardless of these issues.
>
> -John O

Pavel A.

"Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> to use wzc the ssid broadcast must be on. there is no reason to turn it off, its just a false sense of added security.

This was common understanding some time ago.

But since then I've been at several events held by Microsoft, where
hotspots were set up with hidden SSID, and this worked perfectly with
XP wireless client.

So now I would not support broadcasting SSID any longer.
Technically, broadcasting SSID is not required for WZC to work.
If users like that sence of security - let them have it...

Regards,
--PA

John O

> The wzc of xp sp2 can handle hidden SSIDs nicely.
> May be the problem arises because you use both WZC
> and Linksys utility. What if you uninstall it?
> Do you have latest drivers for the NIC?

Linksys tech support sent me to a newer driver, 3.0.3.0 (4/21/2005). I
*just* bought this NIC from amazon, and it came with a driver 2.2.3.0
(3/27/04). Driver is updated, and I've uninstalled the Linksys utility, and
prefer to use WZC.

With the SSID being broadcast everything is working, I've got WPA active
also. It's all good. So I now hide the SSID. I restart the client with the
NIC, and I need to get at this 'hidden' router.

It doesn't show up in the "View Wireless Networks" window, where I would
choose a wireless net. (A nearby net is shown, but that's not the one I
want).

One level up, I see my network in the Preferred Networks list. It's called
"doberman (Manual)". Its properties shows the "Connect when this network is
in range" box checked, so I'm guessing the "(Manual)" thing is my issue.

Any ideas?

-John O

John O

>> to use wzc the ssid broadcast must be on. there is no reason to turn it
>> off, its just a false sense of added security.

> This was common understanding some time ago.
>
> But since then I've been at several events held by Microsoft, where
> hotspots were set up with hidden SSID, and this worked perfectly with
> XP wireless client.
>
> So now I would not support broadcasting SSID any longer.
> Technically, broadcasting SSID is not required for WZC to work.
> If users like that sence of security - let them have it...

Note in my original post the reason I want this...I'm in an educational
setting where students need to see it and explore it. We'll cover the
subjective security issues elsewhere in the curriculum.

-John O

John O

>> The wzc of xp sp2 can handle hidden SSIDs nicely.
>> May be the problem arises because you use both WZC
>> and Linksys utility. What if you uninstall it?
>> Do you have latest drivers for the NIC?

> Linksys tech support sent me to a newer driver, 3.0.3.0 (4/21/2005). I
> *just* bought this NIC from amazon, and it came with a driver 2.2.3.0
> (3/27/04). Driver is updated, and I've uninstalled the Linksys utility,
> and prefer to use WZC.
>
> With the SSID being broadcast everything is working, I've got WPA active
> also. It's all good. So I now hide the SSID. I restart the client with the
> NIC, and I need to get at this 'hidden' router.
>
> It doesn't show up in the "View Wireless Networks" window, where I would
> choose a wireless net. (A nearby net is shown, but that's not the one I
> want).
>
> One level up, I see my network in the Preferred Networks list. It's called
> "doberman (Manual)". Its properties shows the "Connect when this network
> is in range" box checked, so I'm guessing the "(Manual)" thing is my
> issue.
>
> Any ideas?

I got it...I had to create a new Preferred Network for this to work.

So the process is: Install the NIC, load the newest driver, and create a new
Preferred Network with the name of the hidden SSID.

FWIW, the new Linksys Monitor won't even run.

Pavel A.

"John O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:hvzsf.41104$q%(E-Mail Removed) om...

> I got it...I had to create a new Preferred Network for this to work.
>
> So the process is: Install the NIC, load the newest driver, and create a new Preferred Network with the name of the hidden
> SSID.
>
> FWIW, the new Linksys Monitor won't even run.

Good news. Enjoy your network
--PA