Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > GIGLI: No Extras!

GIGLI: No Extras!

Scot Gardner

It's pronounced Gigli. It rhymes with really.

Of course the theatrical presentation of the movie was total crap. So is
the DVD. As everyone knows, Ben Affleck can't act and his imitation
accents are laughable. Jennifer Lopez is awful in the movie as well and
I knew all of this going in.

However, I rented _Gigli_ from Netflix just to see how bad a really bad
movie can be, and _Gigli_ is no slouch in that department. _Gigli_ has
a sustained awfulness that is hard to describe. The music stinks, the
script sucks and the movie is terrible beyond belief. Unfortunately, it
is not bad enough to become a cult classic.

My complaint is that Columbia has included no extras! No deleted scenes.
No "making of" featurettes. No nothing!

Columbia should have done something to give the DVD enhanced value.

Sydney Assbasket

>It's pronounced Gigli. It rhymes with really.
>
>Of course the theatrical presentation of the movie was total crap. So is
>the DVD. As everyone knows, Ben Affleck can't act and his imitation
>accents are laughable. Jennifer Lopez is awful in the movie as well and
>I knew all of this going in.
>
>However, I rented _Gigli_ from Netflix just to see how bad a really bad
>movie can be, and _Gigli_ is no slouch in that department. _Gigli_ has
>a sustained awfulness that is hard to describe. The music stinks, the
>script sucks and the movie is terrible beyond belief. Unfortunately, it
>is not bad enough to become a cult classic.
>
>My complaint is that Columbia has included no extras! No deleted scenes.
>No "making of" featurettes. No nothing!
>
>Columbia should have done something to give the DVD enhanced value.

Like DTS?

Remove "moc" to reply.

When toy shopping, look for the Joe Mantegna Seal Of Safety. It's your only
guarantee that the toy has been deemed safe by Joe Mantegna.

Eric R.

"Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Columbia should have done something to give the DVD enhanced value.

I might have actually rented it just to hear a commentary track.
Though, admittedly, it probably would have been pretty short:

Martin Brest: [sobbing] I'm sorry. God, I'm soooo sorry! [sound of
gunshot]

-Eric

Scot Gardner

"Sydney Assbasket " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>Columbia should have done something to give the DVD enhanced value.

<<Like DTS?>>

Now there's something that ties into all of the posts regarding wasteful
dual-screen format disks. _Gigli_ has a widescreen 16:9 enhanced version
as well as a 4:3 "fullscreen" version. As a result, there was no room
for a DTS soundtrack.

Instead of giving the DVD buyer valuable extras, Columbia has tied up
half of the _Gigli_ disk capacity with a bastardized, narrowscreen
version of the movie.

If Columbia were really interested in recovering its _Gigli_ losses with
the DVD, they should have included some interesting special features:

A 30 minute Jennifer Lopez naked workout video, with special
emphasis on her huge pooper.

30 minutes of deleted scenes. (It's difficult to imagine how these
scenes could possibly be worse than the scenes already included in
the movie.)

A 20 minute featurette covering the star-studded _Gigli_ theatrical
premier.

A 40 minute making-of _Gigli_ video including at least three
Jennifer Lopez temper tantrums.

(The blooper reel is already included in the movie.)

All of these supplemental features would have gone a long way toward
making the _Gigli_ DVD a holiday hit.

Derek Janssen

Eric R. wrote:

> I might have actually rented it just to hear a commentary track.
> Though, admittedly, it probably would have been pretty short:
>
> William Shatner: [sobbing] I'm sorry. God, I'm soooo sorry! [sound of
> gunshot]

....Oops, sorry, got that mixed up with the "Star Trek V commentary"
joke! ;p

Derek Janssen (the ship sinks)

Mike Jackson

No extras for "Gigli"? I'm shocked, shocked! About as shocked as when "Cabin
Boy" was released without any extra features!

Mike Jackson
Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
www.dvdverdict.com

Jay Stewart

"Mike Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No extras for "Gigli"? I'm shocked, shocked! About as shocked as when

"Cabin
> Boy" was released without any extra features!
>
> Mike Jackson
> Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
> www.dvdverdict.com

Perhaps the folks at Criterion will pick up on these glaring oversights.

Jay Stewart

"Derek Janssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fe25762$0$4740$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jay Stewart wrote:
> > "Mike Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>No extras for "Gigli"? I'm shocked, shocked! About as shocked as when

> > "Cabin
> >
> >>Boy" was released without any extra features!
> >>

> > Perhaps the folks at Criterion will pick up on these glaring oversights.

> <double-checks Overused Gag list>
> Okayyy, let's see:
>
> - "'I'm so sorry' commentary" gag...Check
> - "Criterion" gag...Check
> - "Oscar-winning classic of cinema" gag...check
> - "Two--"...Hey, what happened to the "Two-disk special edition with
> extras and documentary" gag??--Oh, no, wait, sorry, I see it, those were
> back when it was first announbced, never mind...Check on that one.

Hey, lighten up, dude! I had my tongue firmly planted in cheek on previous
post. Last thing I want to see is extras from Gigli or Cabin Boy.

Invid Fan

In article <3fe25762$0$4740$(E-Mail Removed)>, Derek Janssen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Jay Stewart wrote:
> > "Mike Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>No extras for "Gigli"? I'm shocked, shocked! About as shocked as when

> > "Cabin
> >
> >>Boy" was released without any extra features!
> >>

> > Perhaps the folks at Criterion will pick up on these glaring oversights.

> <double-checks Overused Gag list>
> Okayyy, let's see:
>
> - "'I'm so sorry' commentary" gag...Check
> - "Criterion" gag...Check
> - "Oscar-winning classic of cinema" gag...check
> - "Two--"...Hey, what happened to the "Two-disk special edition with
> extras and documentary" gag??--Oh, no, wait, sorry, I see it, those were
> back when it was first announbced, never mind...Check on that one.

And your post finished the list! Well done, group!

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Derek Janssen

Jay Stewart wrote:
> "Mike Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>No extras for "Gigli"? I'm shocked, shocked! About as shocked as when

> "Cabin
>
>>Boy" was released without any extra features!
>>

> Perhaps the folks at Criterion will pick up on these glaring oversights.

<double-checks Overused Gag list>
Okayyy, let's see:

- "'I'm so sorry' commentary" gag...Check
- "Criterion" gag...Check
- "Oscar-winning classic of cinema" gag...check
- "Two--"...Hey, what happened to the "Two-disk special edition with
extras and documentary" gag??--Oh, no, wait, sorry, I see it, those were
back when it was first announbced, never mind...Check on that one.

Derek Janssen (gosh, this is fun every year!)
(E-Mail Removed)