Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > New Intel HD display technology

New Intel HD display technology

Grand Inquisitor

From IMDB today:

> Intel is expected to disclose next month that it has developed a new
> type of semiconductor that could make it possible for relatively
> thin, 50-inch, high-definition TV sets costing less than $1,000 to be
> available to consumers by the holiday season next year, the New York
> Times reported today (Wednesday), citing executives close to the
> company. The new technology, which Intel President and COO Paul
> Otellini is expected to unveil at the Consumer Electronics Show in
> Las Vegas, opening Jan. 8, employs a system of tiny electronic
> shutters that can reflect light onto a low-cost flat panel to produce
> a high-definition picture that equals or exceeds the quality of
> current plasma and LCD displays, the Times reported.

and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor

Mark Spatny

Grand Inquisitor,(E-Mail Removed) says...

> > Intel is expected to disclose next month that it has developed a new
> > type of semiconductor that could make it possible for relatively
> > thin, 50-inch, high-definition TV sets costing less than $1,000

I read that, too. Very interesting article. But since I already have an
HD display, I'd prefer if Intel would come up with a way to make cheap
HD-DVDs, and cheap HD DirectTivos (like in the $300 range, not the $699
ones comming to market soon). Ah well, can't have everything.

John Savard

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 20:06:19 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
<(E-Mail Removed)> quoted, in part:

> From IMDB today:
>
>> The new technology,
>> employs a system of tiny electronic
>> shutters that can reflect light onto a low-cost flat panel to produce
>> a high-definition picture

Didn't Texas Instruments already invent something like this? But
theirs little involved moving mirrors: if Intel's method doesn't use
moving parts, but instead an electronic effect changing the opacity or
reflectivity of areas on a chip, it may well be lower in cost.

Particularly as such a method might allow color from a single chip...

John Savard

3W

"John Savard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Didn't Texas Instruments already invent something like this?

DLP.

Ollie T

"DLP"

But DLP is not cheaper than the others. Most I have seen are still in the
$3000 range.

HDTV games lists and discussion
http://www.hdtvarcade.com

news:GV9Eb.618$(E-Mail Removed)...