Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Home network problem

Home network problem

Bobby

I have set-up a home network for my desktop and notebook computers. I am
running XP Pro on my desktop and XP Home on the notebooks. All use wireless
networking connected to the Internet via a wireless modem/router.

Internet access worked perfectly on all systems.

But I can't get my home network to work.

I have tried to share the printer that is physically connected to my desktop
system. This printer works correctly (using my desktop PC).

My notebook sees this shared printer when I list the available printers
(Control Panel -> Printers) but nothing happens when I try to print. I have
tried adding a new printer but this process does not see my shared printer.

I have also shared folders on both the desktop and notebook systems. But I
can't see these shared folders on any system.

When I try to use My Network Places I see my home network (called "Home")
but when I try to access it I get the following message: "Home is not
accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource."

I think that my printing problem is linked to my network problem.

Help!

Cheers.

Bobby

typical computer geek

you have to have a common user on both machines when using XP home for
networking. In other words whatever user account you have on the pro
machine, you need to have the identical profile on the home machine. also if
that doesnt work try enabling NW Link Net bios on both machines.

"Bobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have set-up a home network for my desktop and notebook computers. I am
>running XP Pro on my desktop and XP Home on the notebooks. All use wireless
>networking connected to the Internet via a wireless modem/router.
>
> Internet access worked perfectly on all systems.
>
> But I can't get my home network to work.
>
> I have tried to share the printer that is physically connected to my
> desktop system. This printer works correctly (using my desktop PC).
>
> My notebook sees this shared printer when I list the available printers
> (Control Panel -> Printers) but nothing happens when I try to print. I
> have tried adding a new printer but this process does not see my shared
> printer.
>
> I have also shared folders on both the desktop and notebook systems. But I
> can't see these shared folders on any system.
>
> When I try to use My Network Places I see my home network (called "Home")
> but when I try to access it I get the following message: "Home is not
> accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource."
>
> I think that my printing problem is linked to my network problem.
>
> Help!
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bobby

GTS

If you are using Windows Firewall make sure the File and Print Sharing is
enabled. If you have a 3rd party firewall it must be properly configured
to permit sharing. See http://ezlan.net/Installing.html for additional
information.
--

"Bobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have set-up a home network for my desktop and notebook computers. I am
>running XP Pro on my desktop and XP Home on the notebooks. All use wireless
>networking connected to the Internet via a wireless modem/router.
>
> Internet access worked perfectly on all systems.
>
> But I can't get my home network to work.
>
> I have tried to share the printer that is physically connected to my
> desktop system. This printer works correctly (using my desktop PC).
>
> My notebook sees this shared printer when I list the available printers
> (Control Panel -> Printers) but nothing happens when I try to print. I
> have tried adding a new printer but this process does not see my shared
> printer.
>
> I have also shared folders on both the desktop and notebook systems. But I
> can't see these shared folders on any system.
>
> When I try to use My Network Places I see my home network (called "Home")
> but when I try to access it I get the following message: "Home is not
> accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource."
>
> I think that my printing problem is linked to my network problem.
>
> Help!
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bobby

GTS

You're post is highly inaccurate. You might want to study the issue and
learn about Simple File Sharing particularly before trying to advise others.
See http://www.practicallynetworked.com and http://ezlan.net/ for some basic
tutorials.
--

"typical computer geek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> you have to have a common user on both machines when using XP home for
> networking. In other words whatever user account you have on the pro
> machine, you need to have the identical profile on the home machine. also
> if that doesnt work try enabling NW Link Net bios on both machines.
>

> "Bobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have set-up a home network for my desktop and notebook computers. I am
>>running XP Pro on my desktop and XP Home on the notebooks. All use
>>wireless networking connected to the Internet via a wireless modem/router.
>>
>> Internet access worked perfectly on all systems.
>>
>> But I can't get my home network to work.
>>
>> I have tried to share the printer that is physically connected to my
>> desktop system. This printer works correctly (using my desktop PC).
>>
>> My notebook sees this shared printer when I list the available printers
>> (Control Panel -> Printers) but nothing happens when I try to print. I
>> have tried adding a new printer but this process does not see my shared
>> printer.
>>
>> I have also shared folders on both the desktop and notebook systems. But
>> I can't see these shared folders on any system.
>>
>> When I try to use My Network Places I see my home network (called "Home")
>> but when I try to access it I get the following message: "Home is not
>> accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource."
>>
>> I think that my printing problem is linked to my network problem.
>>
>> Help!
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Bobby

Ken Blake, MVP

typical computer geek wrote:

> you have to have a common user on both machines when using XP home for
> networking. In other words whatever user account you have on the pro
> machine, you need to have the identical profile on the home machine.

Sorry, that's completely false.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> also if that doesnt work try enabling NW Link Net bios on both
> machines.
>
> "Bobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have set-up a home network for my desktop and notebook computers.
>> I am running XP Pro on my desktop and XP Home on the notebooks. All
>> use wireless networking connected to the Internet via a wireless
>> modem/router. Internet access worked perfectly on all systems.
>>
>> But I can't get my home network to work.
>>
>> I have tried to share the printer that is physically connected to my
>> desktop system. This printer works correctly (using my desktop PC).
>>
>> My notebook sees this shared printer when I list the available
>> printers (Control Panel -> Printers) but nothing happens when I try
>> to print. I have tried adding a new printer but this process does
>> not see my shared printer.
>>
>> I have also shared folders on both the desktop and notebook systems.
>> But I can't see these shared folders on any system.
>>
>> When I try to use My Network Places I see my home network (called
>> "Home") but when I try to access it I get the following message:
>> "Home is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this
>> network resource." I think that my printing problem is linked to my
>> network problem.
>>
>> Help!
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Bobby

Ken Blake, MVP

Bobby wrote:

> I have set-up a home network for my desktop and notebook computers. I
> am running XP Pro on my desktop and XP Home on the notebooks. All use
> wireless networking connected to the Internet via a wireless
> modem/router.
> Internet access worked perfectly on all systems.
>
> But I can't get my home network to work.

Are you running firewalls on both machines? Which firewall? Have you
configured it to allow sharing?

Please reply to the newsgroup

> I have tried to share the printer that is physically connected to my
> desktop system. This printer works correctly (using my desktop PC).
>
> My notebook sees this shared printer when I list the available
> printers (Control Panel -> Printers) but nothing happens when I try
> to print. I have tried adding a new printer but this process does not
> see my shared printer.
> I have also shared folders on both the desktop and notebook systems.
> But I can't see these shared folders on any system.
>
> When I try to use My Network Places I see my home network (called
> "Home") but when I try to access it I get the following message:
> "Home is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this
> network resource."
> I think that my printing problem is linked to my network problem.
>
> Help!
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bobby

Bobby

I have McAfee on my desktop machine and Norton on my notebook.

Can you tell me how to configure these programs to permit file and print
sharing?

"Ken Blake, MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23bMHnf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bobby wrote:
>
>> I have set-up a home network for my desktop and notebook computers. I
>> am running XP Pro on my desktop and XP Home on the notebooks. All use
>> wireless networking connected to the Internet via a wireless
>> modem/router.
>> Internet access worked perfectly on all systems.
>>
>> But I can't get my home network to work.

> Are you running firewalls on both machines? Which firewall? Have you
> configured it to allow sharing?

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

>> I have tried to share the printer that is physically connected to my
>> desktop system. This printer works correctly (using my desktop PC).
>>
>> My notebook sees this shared printer when I list the available
>> printers (Control Panel -> Printers) but nothing happens when I try
>> to print. I have tried adding a new printer but this process does not
>> see my shared printer.
>> I have also shared folders on both the desktop and notebook systems.
>> But I can't see these shared folders on any system.
>>
>> When I try to use My Network Places I see my home network (called
>> "Home") but when I try to access it I get the following message:
>> "Home is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this
>> network resource."
>> I think that my printing problem is linked to my network problem.
>>
>> Help!
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Bobby

Ken Blake, MVP

Bobby wrote:

> I have McAfee on my desktop machine and Norton on my notebook.
>
> Can you tell me how to configure these programs to permit file and
> print sharing?

Sorry, I don't use either of those programs and can't help with the
configuration, but I'm sure someone else who knows these will volunteer to
help. It's very likely that your problem is misconfiguration of one or both
of the firewalls and is easily fixed.

You might want to verify that the firewalls are your problem. Unplug your
interet connection temporarily, and then turn off both firewalls. Does
sharing work now? If so, then I'm right that that's your problem. Turn the
firewalls back on, reconnect the internet connection, and wait for more help
here from someone who knows the details of these firewalls.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Ken Blake, MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23bMHnf$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Bobby wrote:
>>
>>> I have set-up a home network for my desktop and notebook computers.
>>> I am running XP Pro on my desktop and XP Home on the notebooks. All
>>> use wireless networking connected to the Internet via a wireless
>>> modem/router.
>>> Internet access worked perfectly on all systems.
>>>
>>> But I can't get my home network to work.

>> Are you running firewalls on both machines? Which firewall? Have you
>> configured it to allow sharing?
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>>> I have tried to share the printer that is physically connected to my
>>> desktop system. This printer works correctly (using my desktop PC).
>>>
>>> My notebook sees this shared printer when I list the available
>>> printers (Control Panel -> Printers) but nothing happens when I try
>>> to print. I have tried adding a new printer but this process does
>>> not see my shared printer.
>>> I have also shared folders on both the desktop and notebook systems.
>>> But I can't see these shared folders on any system.
>>>
>>> When I try to use My Network Places I see my home network (called
>>> "Home") but when I try to access it I get the following message:
>>> "Home is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this
>>> network resource."
>>> I think that my printing problem is linked to my network problem.
>>>
>>> Help!
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>>
>>> Bobby

vze1xjz

says...
> I have set-up a home network for my desktop and notebook computers. I am
> running XP Pro on my desktop and XP Home on the notebooks. All use wireless
> networking connected to the Internet via a wireless modem/router.
>
> Internet access worked perfectly on all systems.
>
> But I can't get my home network to work.

XP Home is not networkable. I'm pretty sure that's the case, but even
so...
You might try to use Start-Run-\\ipaddress and see if a window pops up
with the shared contents.

Can you ping the machines from the other machines?

Another thought is that your wireless network is not ad-hoc, but looking
to an access point, which is necessary to get to the internet. The
wireless router might be blocking station to station traffic.

Dont' turn on NWLink. That's netware.

LMD

XP Home is networkable. My current home wireless network is your desired
setup. XP Home on laptops w/ XP pro on desktop wired to printer.

Lynn