Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > How should I hook up my surround system in this room?

How should I hook up my surround system in this room?

Waterperson77

I'm wondering how I should hook up my Dolby/DTS surround sound system in this
room?

I usually put it so the front center and subwoofer is where the tv is at, and
the other four speakers in the four corners of the room.

But the room that I'm currently staying in is an octagonal shaped room which
has five corners, instead of four.

And putting the four speakers in only four of the corners doesn't align the
sound right.

But putting five speakers in five corners doesn't align the sound right either,
since it's an octagonal shaped room.

Richard C.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: I usually put it so the front center and subwoofer is where the tv is at, and
: the other four speakers in the four corners of the room.
:
: But the room that I'm currently staying in is an octagonal shaped room which
: has five corners, instead of four.
:
: And putting the four speakers in only four of the corners doesn't align the
: sound right.
:
: But putting five speakers in five corners doesn't align the sound right either,
: since it's an octagonal shaped room.
:
=================
is it an octagonal shaped room?

Skid

"Waterperson77" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm wondering how I should hook up my Dolby/DTS surround sound system in

this
> room?
>
> I usually put it so the front center and subwoofer is where the tv is at,

and
> the other four speakers in the four corners of the room.
>
> But the room that I'm currently staying in is an octagonal shaped room

which
> has five corners, instead of four.
>
> And putting the four speakers in only four of the corners doesn't align

the
> sound right.
>
> But putting five speakers in five corners doesn't align the sound right

either,
> since it's an octagonal shaped room.

Not the best group to post. If the room has five corners, it's not
octagonal. In any case, speaker placement should be the same as before.

Center over or under the screen, directly in front of your viewing position.
Mains at equal distances on either side, on the same plane, roughly as far
apart as you are from the screen, at a height where the tweeters are at ear
level. Rears parallel to the mains so they form a rectangle with you more or
less in the middle. The sub can go just about anywhere, bass is
non-directional, but try corners and different disatnces from the wall to
make sure it's not muffled. There are good speaker-placement diagrams at the
Dolby site and any number of home theater pages.

Mischa van Dinter

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:11:09 GMT, "Skid" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Center over or under the screen, directly in front of your viewing position.
>Mains at equal distances on either side, on the same plane, roughly as far
>apart as you are from the screen, at a height where the tweeters are at ear
>level. Rears parallel to the mains so they form a rectangle with you more or
>less in the middle. The sub can go just about anywhere, bass is
>non-directional, but try corners and different disatnces from the wall to
>make sure it's not muffled. There are good speaker-placement diagrams at the
>Dolby site and any number of home theater pages.

He is a troll, he just slithered back here under a different handle.
Your hard work in describing this to him will not be appreciated by
him, he does not care. He just wants as many people as possible to
point out that octagonal does not mean five corners.

Mischa

Skid

"Mischa van Dinter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:11:09 GMT, "Skid" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Center over or under the screen, directly in front of your viewing

position.
> >Mains at equal distances on either side, on the same plane, roughly as

far
> >apart as you are from the screen, at a height where the tweeters are at

ear
> >level. Rears parallel to the mains so they form a rectangle with you more

or
> >less in the middle. The sub can go just about anywhere, bass is
> >non-directional, but try corners and different disatnces from the wall to
> >make sure it's not muffled. There are good speaker-placement diagrams at

the
> >Dolby site and any number of home theater pages.
> >

> He is a troll, he just slithered back here under a different handle.
> Your hard work in describing this to him will not be appreciated by
> him, he does not care. He just wants as many people as possible to
> point out that octagonal does not mean five corners.

Thanks for the note. But I don't think it's ever a waste to post useful
information. Even if the OP is a troll, or just too thick to get it,
somebody else in the vastness of cyberspace may stumble across it and find
it helpful.