Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Pioneer DVR-810H - convert VHS tapes to DVD?

Pioneer DVR-810H - convert VHS tapes to DVD?

Dooner

I'm considering a Pioneer DVR-810H as a set top box and DVD recorder.
I would like to know if it is possible to use this box to convert my VHS
tapes to DVD
and get rid of my VHS player. I don't see where there are RCA connectors on
the rear
of the 810H, so I'm not sure I can do this.

Does anyone know if I can convert my tapes to DVD's -- and if not with this
box,
is there another? I like the Tivo feature, so I'm pretty sold on this box
but would
really like to toss my VHS player.

I'm a newbie, if this is the wrong group, please point me in the right
direction.

thanks,
Gary

xeaglecrest@worldnet.att.net

Dooner wrote:

> I'm considering a Pioneer DVR-810H as a set top box and DVD recorder.
> I would like to know if it is possible to use this box to convert my VHS
> tapes to DVD
> and get rid of my VHS player. I don't see where there are RCA connectors on
> the rear
> of the 810H, so I'm not sure I can do this.
>
> Does anyone know if I can convert my tapes to DVD's -- and if not with this
> box,
> is there another? I like the Tivo feature, so I'm pretty sold on this box
> but would
> really like to toss my VHS player.
>
> I'm a newbie, if this is the wrong group, please point me in the right
> direction.
>
> thanks,
> Gary

The Pioneer DVR-810H would not be the best choice for transferring your
VHS tapes to DVD. I have two Tivos, and they are great for what they
are designed for, i.e. monitoring the TV guide and automatically
recording programs for you.

To record a VHS tape, you have to set up the recorder to record a
particular channel for the length of the VHS tape. You then plug the
player into the Video inputs of the Pioneer, which only knows what is
supposed to be coming thru the inputs, not what actually is.

The real problem is, when the DVD is finalized, it will automatically
add a title menu that corresponds to the TV program it thought it was
recording, not the actual tape that you were copying.

Also, I do know for sure on the Pioneer, but my standalone Tivo will
copy any source, copy protected or not, but it passes the copy
protection signal to the output so you cannot copy it back to VHS tape.
I suspect that the Pioneer will not transfer a copy protected VHS tape
to DVD.

VHS to DVD stand-alone boxes - how to record 6 hr VHS tapes ? - Bobb - DVD Video 16 01-04-2007 09:21 PM
Copying standard VHS tapes to DVD via computer =?Utf-8?B?SnVsaWE=?= Microsoft Certification 4 04-02-2006 02:19 PM
Copy VHS Tapes to DVD EFK DVD Video 1 01-02-2004 12:09 AM
OT: How to take screenshots of VHS tapes... Chop Top DVD Video 0 10-01-2003 02:05 AM
Newbie question regarding multiple DVD's of VHS tapes nan DVD Video 4 09-24-2003 11:58 PM

Advertisments