Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Anti-copy dots

Anti-copy dots

Richard

You know the anti-copy dots seen on movies at the theatre? Do these
come up on DVDs?
-Rich

Bill

Anti copy dots? Are you referring to the small circle that will sometimes
appear in the upper righthand corner of the screen? If so, that would be a
visual cue that a reel in the movie is about to come to an end. Depending
upon the source material used, and the restoration techniques employed, that
could make it into either a DVD or VHS release.

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> You know the anti-copy dots seen on movies at the theatre? Do these
> come up on DVDs?
> -Rich

Rich Clark

news:3w3Cb.7792$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> Anti copy dots? Are you referring to the small circle that will sometimes
> appear in the upper righthand corner of the screen? If so, that would be a
> visual cue that a reel in the movie is about to come to an end. Depending
> upon the source material used, and the restoration techniques employed,

that
> could make it into either a DVD or VHS release.

No, he's talking about "cap codes," (usually) red dots that are digital
anti-piracy data printed on the film itself. They can appear in different
places on the screen, and they're quite different from reel-change cues.

I've never seen them on a DVD and wouldn't expect to, since they're added to
the exhibition prints, and these days DVD's are not mastered from exhibition
prints.

The same is true of reel-change cues, of course.

RichC

Richard C.

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
: You know the anti-copy dots seen on movies at the theatre? Do these
: come up on DVDs?
: -Rich

===================
What is an "anti-copy" dot?
====================

Codswallop

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 22:46:39 GMT, Richard C. wrote in alt.video.dvd:

>> You know the anti-copy dots seen on movies at the theatre? Do these
>> come up on DVDs?

> What is an "anti-copy" dot?

I think the OP thinks the reel-change marks (aka "cigarette burns") are
something to do with copy protection.

Reel-change marks appear on VERY few DVDs. You'd only do it if that was
the only source print you could find.

--
- Cods

(un ROT-13 to email)

Jordan Lund

(E-Mail Removed) (Richard) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> You know the anti-copy dots seen on movies at the theatre? Do these
> come up on DVDs?

It's on the Fight Club DVD. ;^)

- Jordan

Video Flyer

On 12/11/03 6:20 PM, in article
(E-Mail Removed), "Jordan Lund"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (Richard) wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
>> You know the anti-copy dots seen on movies at the theatre? Do these
>> come up on DVDs?

> It's on the Fight Club DVD. ;^)
>
> - Jordan

Shhhh. Don't talk about Fight Club....

Neal

George Mealer

Codswallop <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> I think the OP thinks the reel-change marks (aka "cigarette burns") are
> something to do with copy protection.

No, this is a relatively new thing. It was pretty obvious on -Kill Bill-,
and (I understand) downright intrusive on -Master and Commander-. They're
a series of small red dots mixed in with the image, and meant to identify
the print with a specific serial over the course of the entire film. If
the print's videotaped at the theater and distributed, the dots can be
matched with where the print was shown. They show up every few minutes in
the print, generally.

Geo
--
George Mealer | geo*at*snarksoft*dot*com

Dougie Roberts

"George Mealer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns944EBCBEE1CB2geosnarksoftcom@208.201.224.1 54...
> Codswallop <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
> > I think the OP thinks the reel-change marks (aka "cigarette burns") are
> > something to do with copy protection.

> No, this is a relatively new thing. It was pretty obvious on -Kill Bill-,
> and (I understand) downright intrusive on -Master and Commander-. They're
> a series of small red dots mixed in with the image, and meant to identify
> the print with a specific serial over the course of the entire film. If
> the print's videotaped at the theater and distributed, the dots can be
> matched with where the print was shown. They show up every few minutes in
> the print, generally.

From a recent Roger Ebert column:

"Crap codes -- excuse me, cap codes -- have enraged a lot of Answer Man
correspondents.... Why are the dots so big and visible? Why not do something
subtle and subliminal? Because the dots are intended to identify prints that
have been pirated by analog means -- i.e., by being videotaped off a screen.
Hollywood is in a paranoid seizure about piracy right now, spending a
fortune on security guards who body-search movie critics while the real
pirates steal from within the system."

original link:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/answ-...y-ebert30.html

Mr. Moody

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 04:44:44 GMT, "Dougie Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Crap codes -- excuse me, cap codes -- have enraged a lot of Answer Man
>correspondents.... Why are the dots so big and visible? Why not do something
>subtle and subliminal? Because the dots are intended to identify prints that
>have been pirated by analog means -- i.e., by being videotaped off a screen.
>Hollywood is in a paranoid seizure about piracy right now, spending a
>fortune on security guards who body-search movie critics while the real
>pirates steal from within the system."
>
>original link:
>http://www.suntimes.com/output/answ-...y-ebert30.html

I like the previous quote: "If [Return Of The King]'s got cap codes, I'm never
going back to the theater again."

-Mr.Moody-Remove the don't like spam to mail
The best DVDs ever created:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...1DI9N74554UWW/