Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > O.T. Battlestar Galactica

O.T. Battlestar Galactica

SRT

"Mark Spatny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> SRT,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> > That's not saying much when you look at all the other Academy Award

winning
> > caliber programming "on the network".

> Well, of course the "Academy" that would apply in this case is the
> Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, and Sci-Fi has done quite well
> in the Emmy competition in the mini-series category recently. In fact,
> they won it last year. Let's take a look at Sci-Fi's miniseries wins and
> nominations for the past 3 years in the miniseries category:
>
> EMMY WINNERS:
> Outstanding Miniseries - 2003
> Steven Spielberg Presents Taken • Sci Fi •
>
> Outstanding Special Visual Effects For A Miniseries - 2003
> Frank Herbert’s Children Of Dune • Night 1 • Sci Fi
>
> Outstanding Cinematography For A Miniseries or A Movie - 2001
> Frank Herbert’s Dune • Sci Fi
>
> Outstanding Sound Editing For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Special - 2001
> Frank Herbert’s Dune • Sci Fi
>
> Outstanding Special Visual Effects For A Miniseries - 2001 Frank
> Herbert’s Dune • Sci Fi
>

> OTHER SCI-FI MINISERIES EMMY NOMINATIONS:
>
> Outstanding Special Visual Effects For A Miniseries - 2003
> Steven Spielberg Presents Taken • Episode 2 • Sci Fi •
>
> Outstanding Sound Editing For A Miniseries - 2003
> Frank Herbert’s Children Of Dune • Night 1 • Sci Fi
>
> Outstanding Sound Editing For A Miniseries - 2003
> Steven Spielberg Presents Taken • Episode 9 • Sci Fi
>
> Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Miniseries - 2003
> Steven Spielberg Presents Taken • Episode 1 • Sci Fi
>
> So I'd say they have a pretty good recent track record in the category
> in which Battelstar Galactica would compete.
>
> Now, if you want to broaden the horizon to include other programs on
> Sci-Fi ouside the miniseries category, I could list the nine Emmy
> nominations Stargate SG-1 has received. But I think you get the idea.

I'd forgotten about Stargate SG-1, and will give them credit for that one.
Although, I find it amusing that they continuously describe that show as a
"SciFi Original", when I believe it was actually created by Showtime or one
of those movie networks. Are Scifi and that particular movie network
affiliated, part of the same parent company or something?

The only other idea I get is that 3 series received some basically
meaningless awards and nominations.

srt

SRT

"Mark Spatny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> John Savard,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> > However, the term "Academy Award" is a trademark of the Academy of
> > Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, just like "Oscar", so an Emmy is not
> > an Academy Award.

> The point being, that Oscars are irrelevant when talking about tv shows.
> No TV show can win an Oscar. It was stupid to try to slam the network
> for lack of Oscar winning programs, so I'm pointing out that it *is* the
> winner of many of the releavant awards.

"Academy Award", "Oscar", "Emmy", "____" (fill in the blank with your
favorite descriptive term for quality programming) - the point being, have
you ever heard of sarcasm?

"relevant awards" - relevant to whom?

srt

Mark Spatny

SRT,(E-Mail Removed) says...

> "relevant awards" - relevant to whom?

The television industry, seeing as how Emmys are the premeir award a TV
show can win.