Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > O.T. Battlestar Galactica

O.T. Battlestar Galactica

Waterperson77

>I don't think it ever "shrunk". There's never really been a
>clear definition of parameters for what constitutes a mini-
>series.

when I took a college film class, the teacher said that if it's 4 hours long or
under, the correct definition is a "movie" and not a "mini-series", and that if
it was over four hour hours long, the correct definition is a "mini-series" and
not a "movie".

That was according to the teacher who claimed to have worked on tv shows and
movies in "Holywood".

although I don't think he really did.

He also claimed that there's not any such place called "Burbank" in California,
while he claimed to have worked in California in Hollywood.

Richard C.

"Waterperson77" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: >I don't think it ever "shrunk". There's never really been a
: >clear definition of parameters for what constitutes a mini-
: >series.
: >
:
: when I took a college film class, the teacher said that if it's 4 hours long or
: under, the correct definition is a "movie" and not a "mini-series", and that if
: it was over four hour hours long, the correct definition is a "mini-series" and
: not a "movie".
:
: That was according to the teacher who claimed to have worked on tv shows and
: movies in "Holywood".
:
: although I don't think he really did.
:
: He also claimed that there's not any such place called "Burbank" in California,
: while he claimed to have worked in California in Hollywood.
:
=====================
Your brain must be a very scary place............................

SRT

"Waterperson77" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>. . . when I took a college film class, the teacher said that if it's 4

hours long or
> under, the correct definition is a "movie" and not a "mini-series", and

that if
> it was over four hour hours long, the correct definition is a

"mini-series" and
> not a "movie". . .

Well of course the obvious critical question - is this with or without
commercials?

srt

SRT

"Mark Spatny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> SRT,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> > I guess they advertised this flop as a grandiose
> > mini-series thinking it would draw more viewers.

> This "flop" as you call it, was one of the highest rated programs ever
> on the network. It was a huge success.

That's not saying much when you look at all the other Academy Award winning
caliber programming "on the network".

srt

Wade365

<< That's not saying much when you look at all the other Academy Award winning
caliber programming "on the network". >>

Emmy.

Mark Spatny

SRT,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> That's not saying much when you look at all the other Academy Award winning
> caliber programming "on the network".

Well, of course the "Academy" that would apply in this case is the
Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, and Sci-Fi has done quite well
in the Emmy competition in the mini-series category recently. In fact,
they won it last year. Let's take a look at Sci-Fi's miniseries wins and
nominations for the past 3 years in the miniseries category:

EMMY WINNERS:
Outstanding Miniseries - 2003
Steven Spielberg Presents Taken • Sci Fi •

Outstanding Special Visual Effects For A Miniseries - 2003
Frank Herbert’s Children Of Dune • Night 1 • Sci Fi

Outstanding Cinematography For A Miniseries or A Movie - 2001
Frank Herbert’s Dune • Sci Fi

Outstanding Sound Editing For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Special - 2001
Frank Herbert’s Dune • Sci Fi

Outstanding Special Visual Effects For A Miniseries - 2001 Frank
Herbert’s Dune • Sci Fi

OTHER SCI-FI MINISERIES EMMY NOMINATIONS:

Outstanding Special Visual Effects For A Miniseries - 2003
Steven Spielberg Presents Taken • Episode 2 • Sci Fi •

Outstanding Sound Editing For A Miniseries - 2003
Frank Herbert’s Children Of Dune • Night 1 • Sci Fi

Outstanding Sound Editing For A Miniseries - 2003
Steven Spielberg Presents Taken • Episode 9 • Sci Fi

Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Miniseries - 2003
Steven Spielberg Presents Taken • Episode 1 • Sci Fi

So I'd say they have a pretty good recent track record in the category
in which Battelstar Galactica would compete.

Now, if you want to broaden the horizon to include other programs on
Sci-Fi ouside the miniseries category, I could list the nine Emmy
nominations Stargate SG-1 has received. But I think you get the idea.

John Savard

On 20 Dec 2003 04:17:56 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
(Waterperson77) wrote, in part:

>when I took a college film class, the teacher said that if it's 4 hours long or
>under, the correct definition is a "movie" and not a "mini-series", and that if
>it was over four hour hours long, the correct definition is a "mini-series" and
>not a "movie".
>
>That was according to the teacher who claimed to have worked on tv shows and
>movies in "Holywood".
>
>although I don't think he really did.
>
>He also claimed that there's not any such place called "Burbank" in California,
> while he claimed to have worked in California in Hollywood.

I do know that, officially, it isn't a "feature film" unless it is
more than one hour long.

Most people think that a movie is something people watch at one
sitting in a theatre, and a mini-series is something they tune in for
repeatedly on TV for a period of time less than a full TV season.

John Savard

John Savard

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:09:14 GMT, Mark Spatny
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, in part:

>SRT,(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> That's not saying much when you look at all the other Academy Award winning
>> caliber programming "on the network".

>Well, of course the "Academy" that would apply in this case is the
>Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, and Sci-Fi has done quite well
>in the Emmy competition in the mini-series category recently.

However, the term "Academy Award" is a trademark of the Academy of
Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, just like "Oscar", so an Emmy is not
an Academy Award.

John Savard

Mark Spatny

John Savard,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> However, the term "Academy Award" is a trademark of the Academy of
> Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, just like "Oscar", so an Emmy is not
> an Academy Award.

The point being, that Oscars are irrelevant when talking about tv shows.
No TV show can win an Oscar. It was stupid to try to slam the network
for lack of Oscar winning programs, so I'm pointing out that it *is* the
winner of many of the releavant awards.

jayembee

(E-Mail Removed)lid (John Savard) wrote:

>I do know that, officially, it isn't a "feature film" unless it is
>more than one hour long.

The American Film Institute has adopted, for their series of reference
books THE AFI CATALOG OF FEATURE FILMS, a figure of 45 minutes for the
break point between short films and features. I'm guessing that that's
because there are any number of "B" genre films during the 30s and 40s
(particularly Westerns) that are just under an hour long, but were
obviously intended to be features rather than shorts.

-- jayembee