Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Anyone Notice on The Simpsons...

Anyone Notice on The Simpsons...

Eric R.

Black Locust <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> I would say more like 15 to 20 years.

Only if you're counting HD-DVD in that.

Personally, I'd give regular DVD another 5 years.

-Eric

Grand Inquisitor

Zodiac wrote:

> Light Amplification by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation. !!!!

Yes! Thank you! Light and sound emitting ray, tcha.... What sound?

and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor

Grand Inquisitor

Tarkus wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 02:01:33 GMT, Grand Inquisitor wrote:
>

>>Laser is not spelled with a 'z'. I saw the gag too, and I thought it
>>showed a lack of knowledge. Who would trash their LD collection? There
>>are plenty of LDs that haven't gotten DVDs yet, or ones that aren't as
>>good, such as the Frighteners 4-disc set.

> Wow, you must be the life of parties with that sense of humor.

I didn't make a joke, so how can you give an opinion about my sense of
humor?

and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor

buzzing

"Grand Inquisitor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1eQBb.2533$l%(E-Mail Removed)...

> Laser is not spelled with a 'z'. I saw the gag too, and I thought it
> showed a lack of knowledge. Who would trash their LD collection? There
> are plenty of LDs that haven't gotten DVDs yet, or ones that aren't as
> good, such as the Frighteners 4-disc set.

You mean I should have held onto my orinigal Star Wars: The Definitive
Collection Box Set because the original Star Wars will never be released on
DVD. Lucas! The only LDs that I have thrown out of my collection are ones
with really bad laser rot.

Justin

Black Locust wrote on [Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:31:21 -0600]:
> I would say more like 15 to 20 years. Let me ask you something. How long
> did it take for a format to outsell VHS? Over 20 years according to my
> sources. How about the CD? It's been around for well over 10 years now

20

> and there has yet to be a format that can put a dent in it's
> dominance(only the mp3 has hurt it, if you can even call that a format).

MP3 hasn't really hurt CD sales. Crappy music has. MP3 helps sales

Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
> Black Locust wrote on [Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:31:21 -0600]:
> > I would say more like 15 to 20 years. Let me ask you something. How long
> > did it take for a format to outsell VHS? Over 20 years according to my
> > sources. How about the CD? It's been around for well over 10 years now

> 20
>
> > and there has yet to be a format that can put a dent in it's
> > dominance(only the mp3 has hurt it, if you can even call that a format).

> MP3 hasn't really hurt CD sales. Crappy music has. MP3 helps sales

MP3 is just an audio compression format.

MP3 *piracy* (i.e., ripping and uploading of copyrighted RIAA artist music)
has measurably impacted CD sales, while crappy music has futher deterred CD
purchases.

MP3 doesn't help sales--if the CD is ripped to MP3 and uploaded, the MP3
files can be downloaded, converted to WAV, and burned to a CD-R, thus no
need to purchase the actual CD.

Monetary harm is done to the artist and to the recording company--the
recording company doesn't get the money for every downloaded CD, and so the
artist loses royalties on every downloaded CD. The users who rip, upload,
and download CD's are, at the minimum, serving as illegal distributors and
recipients of copyrighted music. If the artist and recording company can put
a measurable amount of currency on their losses, then illegal MP3 trading
has hurt CD sales.

Now, if a rare individual wants the cover art, liner notes, and other
content that may be included in the CD booklet, they might buy the CD. Most
of the time, though, the tired argument that MP3 helps sales is just a
distraction in hopes that the RIAA will look the other way. Thankfully, they
have gone to battle full force and they have an advantage (for example,
Kazaa Lite K++ recently shut down)!

And creating a MP3's and CD's of your *own* music, now that's perfectly
legal, of course. You wrote it, you recorded it, and so you own the
copyright.

Jordan Lund

Nicholas Andrade <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<rfLBb.36661$(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> In the Nov. 30, 2003 episode, "The Fat and the Furriest" when Homer
> walks through the dump, he passes 3 large signs. The first one was
> labelled Betamax (with a large pile under it), the second Lazer Disc
> (again a large pile), and third sign said, "Reserved for DVD's". I
> thought that was funny, and it does bring up a pretty good point; how
> long do you people expect DVD's to last?

When you consider that DVD is the most popular format since CDs came
out but people are STILL buying crappy VHS tapes and players I'd say
that we have a long, long time before anything supplants DVD.

- Jordan

Mark Spatny

Justin,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Light And Sound Emitting Ray

Nope. Guess again.

Black Locust

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Doonie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "10"? Ten years would only be 1993!

Uhh. I said WELL OVER 10 years now in responce to his predictions that
DVD will die off in 10 years.
--
BL

Nicholas Andrade

Jordan Lund wrote:

> Nicholas Andrade <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<rfLBb.36661$(E-Mail Removed). com>...
>
>>In the Nov. 30, 2003 episode, "The Fat and the Furriest" when Homer
>>walks through the dump, he passes 3 large signs. The first one was
>>labelled Betamax (with a large pile under it), the second Lazer Disc
>>(again a large pile), and third sign said, "Reserved for DVD's". I
>>thought that was funny, and it does bring up a pretty good point; how
>>long do you people expect DVD's to last?

> When you consider that DVD is the most popular format since CDs came
> out but people are STILL buying crappy VHS tapes and players I'd say
> that we have a long, long time before anything supplants DVD.
>
> - Jordan

Perhaps dead would be too strong of a word. By dead I meant, virtually
replaced by the masses. Basically when annual DVD sales surpassed VHS,
it truely meant the decline of VHS is in full swing.

Adios,
~Nick