Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Anyone Notice on The Simpsons...

Anyone Notice on The Simpsons...

Nicholas Andrade

In the Nov. 30, 2003 episode, "The Fat and the Furriest" when Homer
walks through the dump, he passes 3 large signs. The first one was
labelled Betamax (with a large pile under it), the second Lazer Disc
(again a large pile), and third sign said, "Reserved for DVD's". I
thought that was funny, and it does bring up a pretty good point; how
long do you people expect DVD's to last? My estimate is about 10 years
before the next media is popular enough to outsell the standard
DVD-Video format of today. I apologize if this was brought up recently,
closer to when the episode aired, but I just finished my last
engineering final yesterday and haven't had a chance to follow the group.

Adios,
~Nick

Grand Inquisitor

Nicholas Andrade wrote:
> In the Nov. 30, 2003 episode, "The Fat and the Furriest" when Homer
> walks through the dump, he passes 3 large signs. The first one was
> labelled Betamax (with a large pile under it), the second Lazer Disc
> (again a large pile), and third sign said, "Reserved for DVD's". I
> thought that was funny, and it does bring up a pretty good point; how
> long do you people expect DVD's to last? My estimate is about 10 years
> before the next media is popular enough to outsell the standard
> DVD-Video format of today. I apologize if this was brought up recently,
> closer to when the episode aired, but I just finished my last
> engineering final yesterday and haven't had a chance to follow the group.
>
> Adios,
> ~Nick

Laser is not spelled with a 'z'. I saw the gag too, and I thought it
showed a lack of knowledge. Who would trash their LD collection? There
are plenty of LDs that haven't gotten DVDs yet, or ones that aren't as
good, such as the Frighteners 4-disc set.

and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor

Justin

Grand Inquisitor wrote on [Thu, 11 Dec 2003 02:01:33 GMT]:
> Laser is not spelled with a 'z'. I saw the gag too, and I thought it

LASER should be all caps too, really.

Light And Sound Emitting Ray

Tarkus

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 02:01:33 GMT, Grand Inquisitor wrote:

> Laser is not spelled with a 'z'. I saw the gag too, and I thought it
> showed a lack of knowledge. Who would trash their LD collection? There
> are plenty of LDs that haven't gotten DVDs yet, or ones that aren't as
> good, such as the Frighteners 4-disc set.

Wow, you must be the life of parties with that sense of humor.
--
"Never before has the beauty of the sexual act been so crassly
exploited!"

Now playing: the radio

MR_ED_of_Course

in article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)2go.com, Justin at
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote on 12/10/03 6:16 PM:

> Grand Inquisitor wrote on [Thu, 11 Dec 2003 02:01:33 GMT]:
>> Laser is not spelled with a 'z'. I saw the gag too, and I thought it

> LASER should be all caps too, really.
>
> Light And Sound Emitting Ray

What's with this group and acronyms?

LASER stands for:
Light Amplification by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation

While it was an acronym, it's become an accepted word in common usage, thus
"laser" is appropriate.

Zodiac

Light Amplification by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation. !!!!

"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
> Grand Inquisitor wrote on [Thu, 11 Dec 2003 02:01:33 GMT]:
> > Laser is not spelled with a 'z'. I saw the gag too, and I thought it

> LASER should be all caps too, really.
>
> Light And Sound Emitting Ray

Waterperson77

>LASER should be all caps too, really.

"Stop posting in caps. That's shouting in usenet".

Well, that's what some people get told when they use all capital acronymns in
usenet.

not meant towards you. It was an example.

Black Locust

In article <rfLBb.36661$(E-Mail Removed) >,
Nicholas Andrade <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In the Nov. 30, 2003 episode, "The Fat and the Furriest" when Homer
> walks through the dump, he passes 3 large signs. The first one was
> labelled Betamax (with a large pile under it), the second Lazer Disc
> (again a large pile), and third sign said, "Reserved for DVD's".

*sigh* The third sign should have been labled VHS. No wonder they can
only get one season of The Simpsons out a year. The shows producers must
have some pathetic anti-DVD stance.

> I thought that was funny, and it does bring up a pretty good point; how
> long do you people expect DVD's to last? My estimate is about 10 years
> before the next media is popular enough to outsell the standard
> DVD-Video format of today. I apologize if this was brought up recently,
> closer to when the episode aired, but I just finished my last
> engineering final yesterday and haven't had a chance to follow the group.

I would say more like 15 to 20 years. Let me ask you something. How long
did it take for a format to outsell VHS? Over 20 years according to my
sources. How about the CD? It's been around for well over 10 years now
and there has yet to be a format that can put a dent in it's
dominance(only the mp3 has hurt it, if you can even call that a format).
I can't help but feel all these "How long will DVD last?" posts are
generated by bitter nitwits who are still VHSing it in the year 2003 and
can't accept that their piece of crap archaic format has finally bit the
dust thanks to DVD. I'm not saying this is the case with you, but just
in general...

--
BL

Doonie

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:31:21 -0600, Black Locust wrote:

>How about the CD? It's been around for well over 10 years now ..

"10"? Ten years would only be 1993!

--
www.cloakanddagger.ca

Eric R.

Grand Inquisitor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Who would trash their LD collection?

I've thrown away quite a few myself. There are very few LD titles I
have left which aren't already out on DVD in equal or improved form.
And many of the ones I've replaced aren't worth the trouble of trying
to sell. So I've tossed them.

Maybe they should start some sort of charity for abandoned LD's.

-Eric